Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Let's form a gang...we can call it 'the people who like where they live and won't complain about it too much and if we do then we'll go back home' gang. What do you reckon?!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I'm in!

Do we get a badge??
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
I'm in!

Do we get a badge??
if we get a badge then count me in
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

BC are you sure you want to join this club? I have def seen you say your LL is greedy before........
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

BC are you sure you want to join this club? I have def seen you say your LL is greedy before........
he is that but I still aint complaining
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

But this is my point. WHY is he greedy? Because he is charging market rates for your apartment? Because he is charging you for an extra car parking space? If he didn't charge you for it, then everyone would have two free car parking spaces in a car park which was designed only for one per apartment?

Maybe WE are the greedy ones for expecting to pay under-the-market rates for everything in a (relatively) tax-free and safe environment.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:28 am
Concierge

But this is my point. WHY is he greedy? Because he is charging market rates for your apartment? Because he is charging you for an extra car parking space? If he didn't charge you for it, then everyone would have two free car parking spaces in a car park which was designed only for one per apartment?

Maybe WE are the greedy ones for expecting to pay under-the-market rates for everything in a (relatively) tax-free and safe environment.
maybe your right The Arabs were never like this, there has been a definate change in attitude towards the expats who are here. I aint complaining a 2 bed at 85k these days is unheard of. As for the carp park it was built with enough space for 2 cars for every apartment, he just saw that as a way of making a bit more cash out of us. Pissed me off but it aint the end of the world.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

- There is no 'slave' mentality here.
Hmmm, why dont you visit those labour camps and some of the homes where domestic workers are and then tell me there is no slave mentality.

I have spoken to and helped many of those destitute laborers. Those poor souls would love to return back home, after being duped into false promises of salary and conditions. These people just have enough to live on let alone send money back home to families. Just look at the suicide rates alone, god knows how many others go unreported.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Labourers here are employed mostly on contracts from their home countries - it's often nothing to do with the building companies themselves here.

I'm not disputing the conditions they live in must be awful. But have you travelled round rural India and seen the conditions people live in there? At least here people have the chance to get themselves OUT of conditions which are much worse at home.

I'm sure every single labourer here must know someone from their home village etc that has worked here before, I don't think they come here thinking it is a picnic. But the sad reality is that it is a necessary evil for them in order to move upwards in their home countries.

It seems slave-like to us but compared to living conditions at home, where they have nowhere to live, no money and a family to support - at least it gives them a chance.

FYI. I heard once that developers wanted to move to an even cheaper source of labour and HH stopped it as he knew this was the only chance people from these countries would get. Just a rumour.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:34 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

FYI. I heard once that developers wanted to move to an even cheaper source of labour and HH stopped it as he knew this was the only chance people from these countries would get. Just a rumour.
christ, he's bring in the Irish??
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:40 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
500 dhs per week
I know I know...that's what some of the older teenage siblings of my son's friends get paid!

N.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:43 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

(PS - don't take my MK thing too seriously - I'm a Bedfordshire boy, and taking the p--- out of anything to do with Bucks is a popular pastime...........)
I was born in Bedfordshire...and there's nothing there to compare with Milton Keynes (sorry, Luton just doesn't do it for me...and Bedford doesn't have a lot going for it either).

N.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

But the sad reality is that it is a necessary evil for them in order to move upwards in their home countries.
But the sad fact is that they dont move upwards in their home countries, as was the situation 10 years ago.

Like I said earlier, they just manage to get by where they are.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by The Dean

Is anyone actually buying anything now? I hear all the arrogance of the developers (although they've gone quiet too) but is anything actually selling?
I can answer the question of is anyone buying now...

One of the largest and oldest property brokers in Dubai is closing three of it's offices, and has already put a complete hold on new recruitment. They are also instigating a stricter policy of firing sales and leasing staff who don't meet their targets...

I know this because my ex works for them and I've heard it from her and their GM.

N.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:12 am

Why shouldn't the Nationals of this country take advantage of making some money out of the people who have come and taken over their country?
We can't even get passports...hardly taking over are we? If all our visas were cancelled tommorow and we were given full bans we'd all go home, most without a word. Do you think immigrants in Europe would go home quietly of they were told they are no longer needed?

People forget that we don't contribute to the roads of this country, we don't contribute to the parks/landscaping, we don't contribute to healthcare (yes we can have free government healthcare if we want it) - but we still take every opportunity to beat the government up.
We pay extra for our utilities because those are free for nationals.
We pay more for ID card registrations.
We pay far more than the Admin costs of processing a visa.
Our countrymen and women back home pay for the roads, parks, healthcare (which is not free for expats, only nationals) everytime they fill up their car at the pump.

Oh and we come from cultures where it is acceptable to moan about the government...something called freedom of speech.

- There is no 'slave' mentality here. We are all here because we either have a better salary than we could in our home countries, we have a better job than we could in our home countries, or we have a better lifestyle. There is no difference in this whether we are at the top of the scale or the bottom.
I make my own money yet in order to buy a car I need a letter from my company...what was that about slave mentality? It's not actual slavery (unless you are one of the poor unfortunates who works on a building site and lives in a labour camp) but the mentality is there...maybe we don't understand because most of us are the "house negroes" of the UAE rather than the field labourers to use the old plantation terms...

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Nov 9th 2008 at 11:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.