Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all
Default Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Just got back from a leaving do at the Emirates Towers for a colleague of mine, he is going back to the UK due to rising costs in Dubai. In fact he was the 3rd Brit I have come to know who has decided to leave Dubai in the space of 7 weeks.

Apparently 60% of his salary (30K) was going on rental expenses. He has been offered a role back in Birmingham and with the same rate as Dubai. However he says what he will pay on Tax and NI back home is less than what he pays for rent in Dubai and will still leave him better off than getting a Tax free salary and paying the ridiculous rent for a small apartment.

He obviously has his own place in UK but even if he did not he would still be £4000 better off P/A.

The way things are going, I am also thinking of making a move back home to good old Milton Keynes. Had an offer last week but declined. However after doing some rough calculations I would be saving a total of £5000 P/A in addition to the existing disposable income here in Dubai. The downside is the weather which I am quite happy to put up with rather than trying to battle basic rising living expenses in here.

I am I doing the right thing?

Last edited by Duracell_Bunny; Nov 5th 2008 at 4:10 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Apparently about 500 per month leaving due to the slow down in the UAE market
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Apparently about 500 per month leaving due to the slow down in the UAE market
Wow.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Just got back from a leaving do at the Emirates Towers for a colleague of mine, he is going back to the UK due to rising costs in Dubai. In fact he was the 3rd Brit I have come to know who has decided to leave Dubai in the space of 7 weeks.

Apparently 60% of his salary (30K) was going on rental expenses. He has been offered a role back in Birmingham and with the same rate as Dubai. However he says what he will pay on Tax and NI back home is less than what he pays for rent in Dubai and will still leave him better off than getting a Tax free salary and paying the ridiculous rent for a small apartment.

He obviously has his own place in UK but even if he did not he would still be £4000 better off P/A.

The way things are going, I am also thinking of making a move back home to good old Milton Keynes. Had an offer last week but declined. However after doing some rough calculations I would be saving a total of £5000 P/A in addition to the existing disposable income here in Dubai. The downside is the weather which I am quite happy to put up with rather than trying to battle basic rising living expenses in here.

You're not the only one. I have had several (well paid and comfortable) clients and friends of mine head back or say they are only staying till the rent contract runs out.

If you are better off (or even just the same) in your home country why would you stay in a country where you can be arrested for kissing your better half in public?

Weather is a rubbish excuse...even in the current economic climate most people back home still go on holiday once or twice a year. Besides, I don't define a good climate as being near 50C for half the year...!

This is no surprise to me. I am comfortable here but I can't see myself being here in 3-4 years unless I get an astronomical income increase...money isn't everything. Once I am comfortable I want culture, freedom and a place where my children won't grow up thinking it's normal to just hang around a mall spending the 500dhs per week pocket money I give them.

N.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai was fun.

Dubai is now crap.

Mind you................ Milton Keynes???????

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 5th 2008 at 8:06 pm. Reason: ai
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Dubai was fun.

Dubai is now crap.

Mind you................ Milton Keynes???????
Dubai never appealed to me - always thought it was NY on speed (and I hate NY!)

Kuwait for me (seems relaxed, chilled (at 50 c in summer), and seems to be an up and coming place)

MK - great place and Cranfield School of Management best Business School (especially since we beat LBS at rugby in my year !!)
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Try Singapore instead.
rents are falling here. I probably paid over the market rate but still rent comes in at about 30% of my income.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been trying to quit Dubai for ages but cannot find a suitable job opportunity back home or elsewhere overseas. Will keep sending the cv's...
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

500dhs a week ??????? OMG can't let my kids see this . . . .

N
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:40 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny

why not just get a cheaper villa / apartment over here?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
why not just get a cheaper villa / apartment over here?
there is nothing cheap here anymore
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that Dubai could ever be worse than Milton Keynes.

Whilst there may be lots of Brits returning to the UK, there are also many who are moving out here, although I think the demographic has changed somewhat and it is now mainly younger, single people as opposed to families.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Well I hope the same happens in AD, it's getting too bloody busy here....
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Dubai never appealed to me - always thought it was NY on speed (and I hate NY!)

Kuwait for me (seems relaxed, chilled (at 50 c in summer), and seems to be an up and coming place)

MK - great place and Cranfield School of Management best Business School (especially since we beat LBS at rugby in my year !!)
My God - next you'll be telling me you studied under David Molian!!!???

Milton Keynes has no soul and no character - a bit like the 'town' in The Truman Show.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
My God - next you'll be telling me you studied under David Molian!!!???

Milton Keynes has no soul and no character - a bit like the 'town' in The Truman Show.
......... and the opinions of anyone who hates New York can safely be ignored......... wonderful city, with a real buzz and a unique character. It's my second favourite US city, after the stunningly beautiful San Francisco........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.