Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:21 am
W10

Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Originally Posted by bimcnorth

Apparently the French will start building nuclear reactors and a naval base in AD as soon as possible while the Germans got a minor army of railway engineers coming over to asses the UAE railway project that will connect all the emirates with Qatar and the kingdoom..Or so my mate saw it anyway.
The first two projects have been signed and sealed for a while now (although I thought it was an army base)

The second one has been talked about forever...but I was under the impression it was - sadly - planned to be mostly a freight affair (presumably because they are scared of the immigration aspect of having a train run through the GCC)

Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Tried all sorts of ways to see where I can save, but to no avail. The only solution is to move into something even smaller and dingy (I have my own place back home and a job waiting for me so the best option for me is to go back home).

I think the only next best option is to find myself a Sugar Mama. I think this is the only way forward for us young guys in times of hardship like these.
I hear ya brotha.

Well if that works out for you, then go for it. But I am just saying, life back home is not as it used to be. My moma tells me its gone more expensive than before....and the taxes aint helpin. More than a quater of her salary as a teacher goes to the taxman.

Have you tried considerin other positions in the region or even in other emirates? For example, I know that Qatar is followin in Dubai's footsteps and is growin really fast... so it needs people from different professions especially if they have experience in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

I just think you should consider all your options out here first and if nothin else works... well, theres always good ol MK

Inv.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:41 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae
I hear ya brotha.
Have you tried considerin other positions in the region or even in other emirates? For example, I know that Qatar is followin in Dubai's footsteps and is growin really fast... so it needs people from different professions especially if they have experience in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
That is like saying "Sure Manchester is in the doldrums, how about Leeds?".

What has happened in Dubai is just a local extension of the global economic bubble. Cheap borrowing, bubble in asset prices is the inevitable result. It's been a bit bigger in Dubai than in most places, it will pop more spectacularly. But the same forces are at work in the gulf as a whole. Oil tanking from 147 to 60 bucks does not help.

I run a business so I am going to sit tight and tough it out. My customers are overseas so a big crash here is good news for me if it reduces costs.

I have said on a number of occasions that when construction stalls in the UAE, there will be an exodus of well paid workers and this will knock on to a housing market that will already be flat on its arse.

Bad if you own. Good for just about everyone else.

Main thing is to ensure you get your cash and business overseas because when the UAE runs out of cash, they'll be taxing (they won't call it tax, naturally) like there is no tomorrow.

The UAE could have invested all the wealth in getting locals skilled up with engineering and medical degrees so they could actually run their own country. Instead (yet again) they spunked it all up the wall with flashy cars, hookers and white elephant developments. They will forever be dependent on foreign brains because of the glorious welfare state they have created for their nationals.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:27 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=captainflack;6961305] spunked it all up the wall [QUOTE]

I do like that expression...
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by captainflack
The UAE could have invested all the wealth in getting locals skilled up with engineering and medical degrees so they could actually run their own country. Instead (yet again) they spunked it all up the wall with flashy cars, hookers and white elephant developments. They will forever be dependent on foreign brains because of the glorious welfare state they have created for their nationals.
An interesting point of view. My understanding is that most intelligent locals went to the USA to further their education and never returned, just like many other developing nations (including my own).
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
The first two projects have been signed and sealed for a while now (although I thought it was an army base)

The second one has been talked about forever...but I was under the impression it was - sadly - planned to be mostly a freight affair (presumably because they are scared of the immigration aspect of having a train run through the GCC)
I read even the inter-Emirates rail will be a freight affair to start with...funny thing is a passenger train between Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah would be amazing and is much needed.

N.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I read even the inter-Emirates rail will be a freight affair to start with...funny thing is a passenger train between Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah would be amazing and is much needed.

N.
Now this is interesting.

Last edited by CeeBee; Nov 11th 2008 at 7:14 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

grog is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

( new boy here)
Just been reading some really funny stuff below posted by you guys and dolls about leaving Dubai. Firstly a Q can someone please tell me how to check on line for speeding fine with Dubai RTA can’t find link? Oh and does it cost?

We all know Dubai is a plastic city and has no soul BUT I would prefer to here rather than the great grey city LONDON. However now i have little choice since i was made redundant in December along with the other 499 people by you know who!. What I have realised is... just like the uk, the Gov here think up new ways of extracting our hard earned cash from us each and every day??
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grog
( new boy here)
Just been reading some really funny stuff below posted by you guys and dolls about leaving Dubai. Firstly a Q can someone please tell me how to check on line for speeding fine with Dubai RTA can’t find link? Oh and does it cost?

We all know Dubai is a plastic city and has no soul BUT I would prefer to here rather than the great grey city LONDON. However now i have little choice since i was made redundant in December along with the other 499 people by you know who!. What I have realised is... just like the uk, the Gov here think up new ways of extracting our hard earned cash from us each and every day??
You can check on and pay fines here:

https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/en...es.jsp?num=SRV
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grog
( new boy here)

sorry to hear about your redundacy Grog
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

grog is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Thanks guys
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:44 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Someone i know who has worked for Emaar (or a subsiduary) for over 4 years lost their job a month or two back. It seems that despite Emaar not announcing job cuts, it is certainly laying off people.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

what i have been saying all along, a lot of companies have made people redundant but just not advertising the facts, as that wouldnt look too good now would it.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told that as a matter of routine, Emaar fires staff who score low on performance appraisals. They, apparently, have been doing this since 2005 - I have a contact who was let go in such a manner.

Though, I'm not saying this is what happened to your friend.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:15 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
I'm told that as a matter of routine, Emaar fires staff who score low on performance appraisals. They, apparently, have been doing this since 2005 - I have a contact who was let go in such a manner.

Though, I'm not saying this is what happened to your friend.
She has been employed for 4 years and as far as I was aware (since most of my contact with her was in her capacity doing her job) she was efficient at what she did. She actively sorted out parking problems in my building (ensuring security dealt with those parking there who were not residents but sneaked in behind other cars) and also got leases terminated where someone was renting from Emaar and then subletting the apartment they did not occupy themselves in short lets (which obviously helped maintain the community in the building and stop greedy landlords profiting from rent capped leases that they pretended to be using themselves).

The timing seems more than coincidental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.