Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:10 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Originally Posted by mantronic
... hopefully it was steal from the employer, vandalise office and unit, and fly out leaving car at airport.

They set up a system aimed at screwing expats so they can hardly cry foul when it unravels this way.

*Grabs handful of sand*

"I borrow this much money from the arabs"

*lets sand fall out through hand til empty*

but I only repay them this much.

You reap what you sow Sheiky babe.
and you're drawing upon what experience of this 'system'?

most expats aren't here to 'screw' anyone but to do something for themselves. this even goes further with the charity organizations run by expats for other expats (i.e. helping hands) those that do leg it do so only as a last resort, not to screw anyone over. yes, the setup in the middle east has done nothing but leave this as the only option in many cases, but it does not appear to be done in any deliberate fashion and, in most cases, people pursue the 'right' way out first.

given your stupifying ignorance of the mid east, i'd nearly encourage you to come and actually spend some time here (not just two weeks) so that you can get a better understanding and not mouth off with such moronic comments. but then all you would do is bring the expat community in disrepute in the same way that a loud and obnoxious tourist does (though probably worse) and we'd be forever distancing ourselves from you. ("please, don't judge us by mantronics comments - he doesn't speak for us and he's a little, well, special. spent his childhood ingesting lead paint, poor dear.")
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Originally Posted by admon
there's that 'I came to the UAE for a job interview and I'm not in the least bit bitter' comment again..
Oh no ... I dont think I said Im not bitter ... Im bitter. Very bitter that I got sucked in as far as I did.

Wasted weeks on their little scam wrapped in a pyramid scheme wrapped in a bubble.

My driver took me to Al Raha before I went to the office and I almost booked the next flight out. The suckiness of it for 300,000 dh isnt exactly subtle you know.

"oh but we got you a discount on a place at discovery gardens". Why not slap me in the face and tell me Im living under a bridge you arab slave drivers!

"no we cant give more than 3 months notice". "but yes you have to pay 12 months rent in advance"

"We cant set out your bonus plan ... you should trust us .... its cultural". Its business you freaking heathes! Put it in writing!

Oh Im bitter. Insulted.. And weeks of my time! They will pay.

The more cars at the airport the happier I am. They have been shitting in their own back yards and they have it coming.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Originally Posted by still.unsure
and you're drawing upon what experience of this 'system'?

most expats aren't here to 'screw' anyone but to do something for themselves. this even goes further with the charity organizations run by expats for other expats (i.e. helping hands) those that do leg it do so only as a last resort, not to screw anyone over. yes, the setup in the middle east has done nothing but leave this as the only option in many cases, but it does not appear to be done in any deliberate fashion and, in most cases, people pursue the 'right' way out first.

given your stupifying ignorance of the mid east, i'd nearly encourage you to come and actually spend some time here (not just two weeks) so that you can get a better understanding and not mouth off with such moronic comments. but then all you would do is bring the expat community in disrepute in the same way that a loud and obnoxious tourist does (though probably worse) and we'd be forever distancing ourselves from you. ("please, don't judge us by mantronics comments - he doesn't speak for us and he's a little, well, special. spent his childhood ingesting lead paint, poor dear.")

I said the arabs try to screw the expats not expats screwing arabs!

As in the arabs say they pay you the handful of sand but you leave with nothing?

Christ I feel like robinson crusoe ... what dou you need a new island in the sea in the shape of "ha ha we scammed you"????

Is english a second language for you humorless hot heads?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I said the arabs try to screw the expats not expats screwing arabs!

As in the arabs say they pay you the handful of sand but you leave with nothing?

Christ I feel like robinson crusoe ... what dou you need a new island in the sea in the shape of "ha ha we scammed you"????

Is english a second language for you humorless hot heads?
just because you were foolish enough to fly 6,000 miles on the basis of your 'judgement', does not mean that all expats here are being scammed.

Most expats are here because by doing so, they have a nett gain.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Mantronic, sorry, but I don't think you can use your own unpleasant experiences and generalise for the hundreds of thousands other expats here! Perhaps the deal you were offered by your potential employer was atrocious - but then 'bad job offers' can be provided by employers in any part of the world!

Just to take the specific points you raise...
"oh but we got you a discount on a place at discovery gardens". Why not slap me in the face and tell me Im living under a bridge you arab slave drivers!
Errm...do all employers in London or Sydney offer palatial mansions to all their employees? If not, then why expect an 'Arab' employer to do so? It was a job offer - if you didn't like the terms, you were wise to reject it. Others may like the very terms you've rejected because they have no better option on the table - so whilst it didn't work out for you, it may well work out for many others.
"no we cant give more than 3 months notice"
Three months' notice is the maximum in England too, in fact, in many countries of the EU. In the City (financial services sector in London) as well as in the US, one month is often the norm. A notice period of more than three months is unheard of in the Northern hemisphere - you Aussies obviously do things differently
"but yes you have to pay 12 months rent in advance"
True, that's a very annoying 'quirk' of the Dubai rental market - but then many employers give rent advances (12 months house rent in advance in the first year of joining). The two employers I have worked with in Dubai, one Western and one local, have both offered a full rental advance to all their new expat employees. Its a shame you weren't offered one, I agree - but then you probably just had a bad prospective employer, so well done for turning it down.
"We cant set out your bonus plan ... you should trust us .... its cultural". Its business you freaking heathes! Put it in writing!
Discretionary bonuses are hardly ever contractual, are they? That's the whole point - they are at the discretion of the employer! That's definitely the norm in England, where employment contracts generally only state "a discretionary bonus up to x% of annual salary".
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:45 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Oh no ... I dont think I said Im not bitter ... Im bitter. Very bitter that I got sucked in as far as I did.

Wasted weeks on their little scam wrapped in a pyramid scheme wrapped in a bubble.

My driver took me to Al Raha before I went to the office and I almost booked the next flight out. The suckiness of it for 300,000 dh isnt exactly subtle you know.

"no we cant give more than 3 months notice". "but yes you have to pay 12 months rent in advance"

Oh Im bitter. Insulted.. And weeks of my time! They will pay.

The more cars at the airport the happier I am. They have been shitting in their own back yards and they have it coming.
i don't get it. you were shown a job, a relocation package a new city, etc. and you didn't like it. (you thought you were getting scammed, blah, blah, blah) so, you said no. you didn't commit to it, you didn't move here, and, i'm assuming, you weren't so monumentally stupid to spend thousands on your little research trip. so why the bitterness? have seen plenty of jobs in my life that i didn't think would work, have said no, walked away and found something else, end of story. no bitterness, nothing.

what are you like when you go to a car show room and they don't give you the deal you want? do you throw your toys out of the pram then too?

if you're still hanging on to this so badly, go get some professional help. i'm sure you can afford it on your money
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

manwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rapido
I can handle blunt.

Mortgage, Full-time childcare (x 2), Tax, Tax, Duty, Tax, Duty, Car + associated expenses....there's lots mate. Even the banks get away with stuff that the Europeans would never, ever tolerate. And the Aussies just cop it.

We didn't live a profligate lifestyle (you can't with two little ones) - only rarely did we go to gigs/dinners out etc - but it's just how it was.

I lived in Oz for 28yrs and love Sydney and NSW, but I am serious when I say we just couldn't get ahead and ultimately couldn't wait to get out. I don't crave wealth and possessions, and am certainly not a dreaded 'aspirational voter', but I did object increasingly to how difficult life was becoming and how much intereference the public service (lol) was having in my life.

I defy any Aussies on this forum to say that they didn't cheat just a wee bit on their tax returns.

We didn't move here for money - that's not what drives us - more for the need of change, the broadening of our kids' horizons, closer in a geographic sense to....everything (and certainly my family in Scotland) and other factors. In saying that I won't deny that the financial side was definitely consideration. I'm still unemployed here but even on my wife's salary alone, compared to Sydney we're ahead. Fact.

IndieG - figure of 60% was an independent survey we read a while back - widely disseminated but I can't quote it so sure, repudiate if you wish. I still say that's conservative, and while I stand to be corrected I'd say that tax on 75K would be way more than 16.5K in Australia. Tax on 100K+ is another bracket altogether.

mantronic - Aust govt understaffed and overworked? I'd only apply that to the people at the coalface, the ones actually doing the work (I have been one of them in the past). How do you explain the huge percentage of the workforce in NSW (prob. across Australia) that comprise the public sector?

And if you want a 50K procedure for free, you sure as hell pay for that privelege in your premiums every month. I chose not to - no way could we afford that monthly payment.

captainflack - good points mate, all taken.
perception and personal experience are a funny thing, lived in oz for a very very long time 40+yrs and had all the expenses like you- mortgage/s, secondary school fee's, tax, duty, cars etc etc. Small business owner and 2nd income under $70,000 (accountant does the tax). Always lived a extremely pleasant lifestyle with lots of different things to do & experience. We lived in Victoria on the Mornington Peninsula.
Sure the place has a lot of problems eg race, economics, long history of uninspiring governments, but what country has none of those things?
It is tending to become very nationalist (southern cross tattoos, 'were the lucky country') and that can't be a good thing, again lack of government direction.
If life easier here than oz? Undoubtedly. Would l return? Without a doubt, if ownly for the aussie rules football.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by manwithnoname
perception and personal experience are a funny thing, lived in oz for a very very long time 40+yrs and had all the expenses like you- mortgage/s, secondary school fee's, tax, duty, cars etc etc. Small business owner and 2nd income under $70,000 (accountant does the tax). Always lived a extremely pleasant lifestyle with lots of different things to do & experience. We lived in Victoria on the Mornington Peninsula.
Sure the place has a lot of problems eg race, economics, long history of uninspiring governments, but what country has none of those things?
It is tending to become very nationalist (southern cross tattoos, 'were the lucky country') and that can't be a good thing, again lack of government direction.
If life easier here than oz? Undoubtedly. Would l return? Without a doubt, if ownly for the aussie rules football.
go the hawks!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shehryar
Mantronic, sorry, but I don't think you can use your own unpleasant experiences and generalise for the hundreds of thousands other expats here! Perhaps the deal you were offered by your potential employer was atrocious - but then 'bad job offers' can be provided by employers in any part of the world!

Just to take the specific points you raise...
Errm...do all employers in London or Sydney offer palatial mansions to all their employees? If not, then why expect an 'Arab' employer to do so? It was a job offer - if you didn't like the terms, you were wise to reject it. Others may like the very terms you've rejected because they have no better option on the table - so whilst it didn't work out for you, it may well work out for many others. Three months' notice is the maximum in England too, in fact, in many countries of the EU. In the City (financial services sector in London) as well as in the US, one month is often the norm. A notice period of more than three months is unheard of in the Northern hemisphere - you Aussies obviously do things differently True, that's a very annoying 'quirk' of the Dubai rental market - but then many employers give rent advances (12 months house rent in advance in the first year of joining). The two employers I have worked with in Dubai, one Western and one local, have both offered a full rental advance to all their new expat employees. Its a shame you weren't offered one, I agree - but then you probably just had a bad prospective employer, so well done for turning it down.Discretionary bonuses are hardly ever contractual, are they? That's the whole point - they are at the discretion of the employer! That's definitely the norm in England, where employment contracts generally only state "a discretionary bonus up to x% of annual salary".

The offer I flew over for was double any of the other. The others wanted to pay me more or less euivalent to my pay in aus AFTER TAX because it was a wash to me with no tax. I would have been ruined today on either of those roles. That is typical of the BS recruitment for dubai from syd BY ARAB EMPLOYERS. Shady at best. Those first experiences piss me off the most actually.

Senior management in aus and UK get 6 months to a year notice. Its not a deal breaker UNLESS YOU PAY YOUR OWN RENT IN A COUNTRY WITH 12 MONTHS RENT IN ADVANCE. A proper expat package normally covers rent for you but alot of companies got cocky and want you to pay your own to suck you into their little rent monopoly scam.

And yes bonus is discretionary to a dgree but against KPIs and they tell you the max percentage UP FRONT. Mine was "expect 100% but nothing is in writing". Almost "Its like a tip". GTFO treat me like a servant I earn my bonus you dont tip me. Put down my bonus and KPIs in writing damn it.

Not even a company car when they are so cheap. oN 1.2M DH? Its just another little hook. Get you nice and pregant quickly.

Honestly I agree with your points generally but still feel its a scam. Maybe some of you were dealing with decent west companies but IMO if companies like Mubadala are that shady its a very bad sign. 100s of dumped cars at the airport are just proof of my thoughts and impressions.

And yes it is legend or urban myth that all this is by design and bragged about by the sheiks.

IMO the less people that go there = less scope for arabs to scam and better deals for expats. Also means less westerners forced into more or less crime to flee the little trap set. I dont see the prob with that.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

The offer I flew over for was double any of the other. The others wanted to pay me more or less euivalent to my pay in aus AFTER TAX because it was a wash to me with no tax. I would have been ruined today on either of those roles. That is typical of the BS recruitment for dubai from syd BY ARAB EMPLOYERS. Shady at best. Those first experiences piss me off the most actually.

Senior management in aus and UK get 6 months to a year notice. Its not a deal breaker UNLESS YOU PAY YOUR OWN RENT IN A COUNTRY WITH 12 MONTHS RENT IN ADVANCE. A proper expat package normally covers rent for you but alot of companies got cocky and want you to pay your own to suck you into their little rent monopoly scam.

And yes bonus is discretionary to a dgree but against KPIs and they tell you the max percentage UP FRONT. Mine was "expect 100% but nothing is in writing". Almost "Its like a tip". GTFO treat me like a servant I earn my bonus you dont tip me. Put down my bonus and KPIs in writing damn it.

Not even a company car when they are so cheap. oN 1.2M DH? Its just another little hook. Get you nice and pregant quickly.

Honestly I agree with your points generally but still feel its a scam. Maybe some of you were dealing with decent west companies but IMO if companies like Mubadala are that shady its a very bad sign. 100s of dumped cars at the airport are just proof of my thoughts and impressions.

And yes it is legend or urban myth that all this is by design and bragged about by the sheiks.

IMO the less people that go there = less scope for arabs to scam and better deals for expats. Also means less westerners forced into more or less crime to flee the little trap set. I dont see the prob with that.
so your not bitter now?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by still.unsure
i don't get it. you were shown a job, a relocation package a new city, etc. and you didn't like it. (you thought you were getting scammed, blah, blah, blah)
The whole issue is the blah blah blah bit. Most people on the board get it. Im sure the people dumping cars get it. Its not rocket science.

Honestly Ill back my point up till dubai is back to what it was pre boom. You can insult as much as you want but the basis of your knocking, and the utter nonsense you posted about life in Aus, dont give you much credibility though.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by admon
so your not bitter now?
Where do keep getting this idea Im not bitter about dubai. I loathe and detest it from an expat point of view. Even if I didnt say it if you read between the lines just a little .....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Where do keep getting this idea Im not bitter about dubai. I loathe and detest it from an expat point of view. Even if I didnt say it if you read between the lines just a little .....
and you say we are humourless..
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:23 am

nope, still don't get it. you got an offer that didn't fit, you said no, end of story. move on and get another job.

instead, you see this one incident as some excuse to go on a crusade and white-wash every incident and start slagging off 'ARAB EMPLOYERS' and wishing all the worst to the companies in dubai. seriously, chill out, and let move one. people need to be informed about the challenges of the middle east, not this sensationalized scare-mongering crap that would be better suited to headlines in the sun (or in syd the daily telegraph)
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:25 am

The whole issue is the blah blah blah bit. Most people on the board get it. Im sure the people dumping cars get it. Its not rocket science.

Honestly Ill back my point up till dubai is back to what it was pre boom. You can insult as much as you want but the basis of your knocking, and the utter nonsense you posted about life in Aus, dont give you much credibility though.
(just a hint - i'd be careful about throwing accusations about 'utter nonsense' and 'credibility' if i were you - reckon that one would come back and bite you on the @rse pretty quick...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.