Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Originally Posted by chocciecake
why is that great?

sorry,i'm not meaning to start something, but that kind of comment really bugs me...
i don't understand why people go to a place, make money and take other opportunities from it, and then wish ill on it when they're done???

i just don't understand why someone would wish the demise of a place...especially one they've gone to, to benefit from....
What makes you think Dubai returning to how it was 40 years ago would represent a "demise"??
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:53 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
What makes you think Dubai returning to how it was 40 years ago would represent a "demise"??
"Ditzy

won't it be great.....if everyone DOES leave Dubai - it will return to the place it was 40 years ago...

can't wait..........Bring it on!!! "

well, actually, reading this in isolation, it could well be that ditzy meant that they liked dubai better before all the brits came over there, and wishes they would all go home, so that it could return to what it was, before, which may have been better in some peoples opinion!
reading in context of all the talk about the rentals falling due to lack of demand, and the expected house price drops in the previous posts before that, it came across as, "without all us brits here, dubai would be stuffed...and the economy would fail if we all pulled out"

sorry ditzy, if i misinterpreted that!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
where was your apartment? The Marina?
Yes thats right.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mission
gotta agree with SPUGSY...just get cheaper rent.

lets see milton keynes or dubai....MK is the pits so is most of the UK. And as for NY....ma'an don't even get me started on the states....i wouldn't want to live there if my salary got quadrupled!
I see where you are coming from and you have a valid point.

But there is no where cheap unless you wish to compromise your quality of living and standards by getting a even smaller dingy place. And to be honest with you if my living standards fall below what I have in the UK then this raises the question of "Why am I here?"

Yes we have year long sunshine in UAE, but the downsides in Dubai are now outweighing the good sides. My move to MK is only to give me some thinking time until I make my next move possibly Down Under or some other place where you dont slave for your landlord and you can buy your own place for a price which is sensible. (8 Million DHS starting price for a villa is silly, I can get a mansion with 6 bedrooms and indoor pool here in UK for that price)
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:31 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Duracell_Bunny;6953198]I see where you are coming from and you have a valid point.

But there is no where cheap unless you wish to compromise your quality of living and standards by getting a even smaller dingy place. And to be honest with you if my living standards fall below what I have in the UK then this raises the question of "Why am I here?"

Yes we have year long sunshine in UAE, but the downsides in Dubai are now outweighing the good sides. My move to MK is only to give me some thinking time until I make my next move possibly Down Under or some other place where you dont slave for your landlord and you can buy your own place for a price which is sensible. (8 Million DHS starting price for a villa is silly, I can get a mansion with 6 bedrooms and indoor pool here in UK for that price)[/QUOTE]

Where; Grimsby?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

To be honest I think you´ll find few places as cushioned from the global economic woes as the UAE.

Yup, people might "slave" just to pay the landlords but the mood in the UK, NY or everywhere else is just morbid right now, everyone is waiting for the axe to fall regarding their jobs, house prices are falling, credit non-existent even for solid projects.
So my advice right now is to sit tight until you have a new job wherever on a signed contract and don´t even sign it until you have checked out the company that will hire you at least twice because companies that where solid two months ago or now going bust on a daily basis..
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
To be honest I think you´ll find few places as cushioned from the global economic woes as the UAE.

Yup, people might "slave" just to pay the landlords but the mood in the UK, NY or everywhere else is just morbid right now, everyone is waiting for the axe to fall regarding their jobs, house prices are falling, credit non-existent even for solid projects.
So my advice right now is to sit tight until you have a new job wherever on a signed contract and don´t even sign it until you have checked out the company that will hire you at least twice because companies that where solid two months ago or now going bust on a daily basis..

Hello, welcome

You speak a lot of truth.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roadking
Where; Grimsby?
In Grimsby you can probably get a 10 bedroom for that.

The one I was on about was in Hertfordshire, bought last Mon by a friend of mine. Even in places like the Midlands and outer M25 you will find such places.

What my point is that prices are just stupid for what Dubai is, what you pay for a small villa is the same as what you would in Europe place for a very large pad. Look what is happening in Palm Jebel Ali, Signature villas are up for sale with 80% discounts and still no one wants to buy.

I mean Dubai is not the only place on Earth where Brits or any other expats live.

I think the writing is on the wall for Dubai.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed.

However for my personal circumstances, I am better off in UK as I have a fully paid for house and have a job waiting for me.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Hello, welcome

Indeed he does, although I'd rather be in Ab Dab than Dubai.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Agreed.

However for my personal circumstances, I am better off in UK as I have a fully paid for house and have a job waiting for me.
A safe job I hope..

Well, good luck with everything, hopefully you´ll enjoy the change of scenery. Desert skies, dirt and dunes are not that pictoresque all the time.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eva
Hello, welcome

Originally Posted by The Dean
Indeed he does, although I'd rather be in Ab Dab than Dubai.

Cheers the both of you..

I´m somewhat lucky in that I´m currently working for Abu Dhabi, got my boss in Dubai but are still stationed in Europe so I get the best of two worlds we can say..
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My sources* tell me that there were 5,000 visa applications for Brits last month. Hardly an exodus...

* Yes, very good ones. Not pub talk.

-
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

A safe job I hope..

Well, good luck with everything, hopefully you´ll enjoy the change of scenery. Desert skies, dirt and dunes are not that pictoresque all the time.
Thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
My sources* tell me that there were 5,000 visa applications for Brits last month. Hardly an exodus...

* Yes, very good ones. Not pub talk.

-
Interesting.

I bet they will be out once they realise what they have go themselves into.

Most recruitment agencies tell you that the Dubai/UAE salary is tax free but what they dont mention is that 50% of the salary will go towards rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.