Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exodus: Brits Leaving Dubai

I just get fed up hearing the same old/same old, like:

Greedy Landlords: Why are they greedy? Rental demand is higher than supply - therefore prices are being pushed to unprecedented highs. It's as expensive as New York, are Landlords in New York greedy?

Why shouldn't the Nationals of this country take advantage of making some money out of the people who have come and taken over their country?

If we rent out our properties in the UK, don't we rent them out at the highest amount that we can relative to the markets? are WE greedy??

People forget that we don't contribute to the roads of this country, we don't contribute to the parks/landscaping, we don't contribute to healthcare (yes we can have free government healthcare if we want it) - but we still take every opportunity to beat the government up.

- There is no 'slave' mentality here. We are all here because we either have a better salary than we could in our home countries, we have a better job than we could in our home countries, or we have a better lifestyle. There is no difference in this whether we are at the top of the scale or the bottom.

700AED per month is a diabolical salary for us but for a labourer, 7,000 rupees a month is not too bad a salary, once he has worked here for a couple of years he will have enough to buy some land for his family etc - the bottom line is that they wouldn't be here if they didn't want to be - of course nobody wants to do their jobs but they do it to have a better life eventually than the life they had before they came here - if you see the conditions some of these people live in in rural India/Pakistan, then the conditions here are better, even though for us it seems wrong.

We are living in an economy where until prices level out a bit, yes it will be expensive etc - we need to stop thinking Dubai 'owes' us something and that everyone is greedy and out to get us!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't aware that we expats were entitled to "free government healthcare" if we want it (as suggested by Ditzy). Whenever my family have attended government hospitals, we are asked to pay at least a AED200 consultancy fee and more. As for there being "no slave mentality here", I suggest he/she takes his/her head out of the sands and looks at reality.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

if you buy a government health card for 200 AED you are entitled to free healthcare.........
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:02 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
if you buy a government health card for 200 AED you are entitled to free healthcare.........
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

well 200 aed is not a lot per year for healthcare, is it??!

ok, ok, maybe it's me, I give up!!!!!! :curse:
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I just get fed up hearing the same old/same old, like:

Greedy Landlords: Why are they greedy? Rental demand is higher than supply - therefore prices are being pushed to unprecedented highs. It's as expensive as New York, are Landlords in New York greedy?

Why shouldn't the Nationals of this country take advantage of making some money out of the people who have come and taken over their country?

If we rent out our properties in the UK, don't we rent them out at the highest amount that we can relative to the markets? are WE greedy??

People forget that we don't contribute to the roads of this country, we don't contribute to the parks/landscaping, we don't contribute to healthcare (yes we can have free government healthcare if we want it) - but we still take every opportunity to beat the government up.

- There is no 'slave' mentality here. We are all here because we either have a better salary than we could in our home countries, we have a better job than we could in our home countries, or we have a better lifestyle. There is no difference in this whether we are at the top of the scale or the bottom.

700AED per month is a diabolical salary for us but for a labourer, 7,000 rupees a month is not too bad a salary, once he has worked here for a couple of years he will have enough to buy some land for his family etc - the bottom line is that they wouldn't be here if they didn't want to be - of course nobody wants to do their jobs but they do it to have a better life eventually than the life they had before they came here - if you see the conditions some of these people live in in rural India/Pakistan, then the conditions here are better, even though for us it seems wrong.

We are living in an economy where until prices level out a bit, yes it will be expensive etc - we need to stop thinking Dubai 'owes' us something and that everyone is greedy and out to get us!
Rental demand is higher than supply

In 2006 - definitely
In 2007 - mostly
In 2008 - questionable
In 2009 - no way
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

if that's the case, then prices will come down. It's simple economics!

But it doesn't mean that people are greedy! They are just renting out their properties in line with the market! Like we do in the UK when we rent ours out!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

if that's the case, then prices will come down. It's simple economics!

But it doesn't mean that people are greedy! They are just renting out their properties in line with the market! Like we do in the UK when we rent ours out!
Have you not seen how many empty properties are around this place? Try the Ranches or JBR.

I guess the landlords are just holding out for the right tenants....no, it couldn't be greed.

As for not contributing to this country - do service taxes on restaurant bills not count? Car registration? Municipality tax?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Empty properties are more owned by Expats, than by Locals NL. Check out the spread of nationalities buying these properties, you will find the majority are Iranian/Russian - I can't see how Dubai Plc can be blamed for that??!

Car Registration wouldn't go anywhere near paying for the roads here. Nor would restaurant tax etc.

Anyhow, clearly, as I am the only person who thinks like this, it leads me back to my original comment of getting Dubai back to the way it used to be when everyone else leaves after they are fed up.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:10 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Interesting.

I bet they will be out once they realise what they have go themselves into.

Most recruitment agencies tell you that the Dubai/UAE salary is tax free but what they dont mention is that 50% of the salary will go towards rent.
thats not always the case though,there are still plenty of jobs/industries that the 'package' includes company supplied accommodation
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:33 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

I am very confused here, everyone seems to think that they are slaves, a few points are that slaves have no choice where they work/country they live and certainly don't get paid as much as some of the people in Dubai get and if you feel so bad about it MOVE! Unless obviously some of you have been forced to move and work in Dubai, if so I am sure there are some people on here who can help!

Simple solution to stop feeling so bad!

Ditzy, I agree with what you are generally saying. Well said!

Last edited by theduke; Nov 9th 2008 at 7:44 am. Reason: spelling Pure rubbish at it, me
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Ditzy, I agree with what you are generally saying. Well said!
Ditto!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ooh! here was me thinking I was the only one

well at least there will be three of us left here when everyone else leaves

I bagsy the beach to myself on a Friday
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

ooh! here was me thinking I was the only one

well at least there will be three of us left here when everyone else leaves

I bagsy the beach to myself on a Friday
im with you, ill be here until i have to pay for something with my own money, then ill be off, no complaining, no moaning....just away
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
im with you, ill be here until i have to pay for something with my own money, then ill be off, no complaining, no moaning....just away
us too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.