Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Word for the day!
UAE Bank = Loan Shark!
Oddly familiar...but the UAE banks don't (yet) happily break arms if they're not paid.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Oddly familiar...but the UAE banks don't (yet) happily break arms if they're not paid.
Not yet, but they are content on 'Breaking your Spirit!'
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Not yet, but they are content on 'Breaking your Spirit!'

So long as they don't break the bottle it's in!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Sellbydate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tatlock
Hi Guys
I was interested to read the info at the link below.

http://www.federalmanagement.co.uk/n...ebt-collectors

I know that it is a webpage from a company trying to sell its services but wondered if there is any truth in what it says about recoevring a debt from someone who returns to the UK.
Would apprecaite any comments you might have.
Cheers
Hi people

I'm new here so hello to everyone and I hope someone can give me some advice.

To cut a long story short, I lost my job, have a mortgage and now 3 months in default. I'm in uk and have a new job in Dubai but now have legal case against me. Bank won't drop case unless I pay the default amount. I simply don't have the money. Therefore, I cannot accept the job. The bank are fully aware and are not willing to drop case? I left dubai to seek health treatment as I did not have health insurance so I did not "run away" from Dubai and I even continued to pay my mortgage after I returned to uk until the money.

My question is, can they pursue the debt here in the long term? Can selling the debt to uk debt recovery company allow them to legally pursue me?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sellbydate
Hi people

To cut a long story short, I lost my job, have a mortgage and now 3 months in default. I'm in uk and have a new job in Dubai but now have legal case against me. Bank won't drop case unless I pay the default amount. I simply don't have the money. Therefore, I cannot accept the job. The bank are fully aware and are not willing to drop case? I left dubai to seek health treatment as I did not have health insurance so I did not "run away" from Dubai and I even continued to pay my mortgage after I returned to uk until the money.

My question is, can they pursue the debt here in the long term? Can selling the debt to uk debt recovery company allow them to legally pursue me?
Grateful for the few private messages I have received but need to do the 3 posts before I get to read them...so...
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Grateful for the few private messages I have received but need to do the 3 posts before I get to read them...so...
Another point, even thought the bank appreciates my position and understand I cannot enter the country with a police case, they will not drop it despite it being in their own interests as it will mean that I will resume payments.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

O.K. This is not good, on either side. However... you might find this useful- Invoke the Protection From Harassment Act 1997. Either they take you to court ( the court nearest to you) or else tell them to cease harassing you ( a criminal offense)
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OleJanx
O.K. This is not good, on either side. However... you might find this useful- Invoke the Protection From Harassment Act 1997. Either they take you to court ( the court nearest to you) or else tell them to cease harassing you ( a criminal offense)
Not good but procedure is procedure and I don't have the wasta to deviate away from them! Thanks for the pointers.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you're U.K. based then forget wasta. This is the Ex-Lax when they are getting heavy! Google it. It's suprisingly helpful...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people

UAE debts have absolutely NO jurisdiction in the UK.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Tinkerbelly is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd really like to chat with unhappyhere if possible? If you're still checking from time to time can you pm me? I've just sat and scanned through most of what has been written in this whole thread-2 cups of tea and a slice of cake later!

I came here as a teacher just over 3 years ago and was offered a pretty good package, I'm fairly young and thought it would be a great base to do some travelling. I did my research into culture, law and religion. What I wasn't prepared for was the attitude, and it seeps into the children at an early age, believe me. And yes, I have notched up some debt-forgive me.

I am not asking for your opinion on being a responsible spender, I already have a mother (who btw would be thoroughly ashamed by my spending habits so no derogatory comments about her please) nor do I want to be told to 'just pay it', neither of these sentiments are helpful and they are things that I have already had words with myself about-on several occasions at 3am in the morning, usually after a beverage or 2.

I have a car, which I am desperately trying to sell, only I will still owe money on the loan even if I get the asking price (age old saying that it loses 20k+ as soon as it leaves the showroom turns out to be true), bank says I have to pay the loan in full, and then some for settling early. Long winded story I know, but I just wanted to share a little bit and say that this 'extra' that I owe is going to go straight onto my credit card. And you know what, I'm disillusioned with this place. In all honesty I don't want to pay back the money-insert petulant pout face here.

Teaching children-mostly emerati-has made me think that there is no hope here. I know I will pay it back, month by month. But what would happen, if say one of those drunken conversations with myself at 3am (which I hope I'm not alone in having) ends in me following my dream-and a man I happen to be very much in love with-halfway around the world? Sorry for the extremely long post-I know that some people can't be bothered to sit and read through them, but once I got going it was rather difficult to stop!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:31 am
Just Joined

I'd really like to chat with unhappyhere if possible? If you're still checking from time to time can you pm me?

This 3 posts thing is silly. Another one will follow shortly so I can pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Oh, and I'm about to embark upon a new contract. So if I did decided to bugger off-which is highly unlikely because underneath it all I'm quite the yellow belly-I would also be an absconder yes?

If I did go, I wouldn't want to come back. I think I have seen and experienced all that I want to from living here. Considering this is a muslim country the undercurrent of lies and drinking and sex and deceit is unbelievable! (And that's just from me!) LOL.

I think I might go on the hunt for a thread on unspoken truths of the UAE... that'll be fun-the stuff they DON'T mention in the tourist guides.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

philman1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mission
you guys constantly go around in circles on this issue - there is NO jurisdiction or treaty between the UAE and the UK whereby if a brit national does a runner from the UAE with any kind of debt he/she CANNOT be touched back in the UK.

Being in debt back in the UK is NOT a frigging criminal offensive, its a civil offensive and the worse that can happen to anyone is that they go bankrupt.

Of course there are consequences if he/she wants to visit/or come back and live in the UAE or any other GCC country, but as far as being 'libel' back in the UK, its non-existent!
If someone has a pending case for non payment of CC & personal bank loans, is he/she can't enter the neighboring GCC countries like K.S.A.?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Reading though this thread I am very disappointed with the quality of expats the UK churns out these days. Complains about attitudes, deceitfulness, children, banks and everything else.

It does seem to me that a lot of people leave the UK for work overseas without the maturity, experience or common sense required for expat life.

Australia is full of people complaining that its not like the UK. Of course it isn't! Its a different country!

Asia is full of penniless English teachers with local girlfriends all of whom seem to complain about how they are treated and undervalued in Korea/Thailand/indonesia etc

And Dubai seems full of people who failed to understand the basic facts of getting into debt in an Islamic country.

Please don't blame the other country if it doesn't meet YOUR expectations, or if the laws and attitude are not to YOUR liking. You were not forced to leave the UK, and there is an implied level of common sense when you did so.

For the record, I worked in Dubai over 30 years ago, I haven't been home to the UK in 27 years, I have worked an an alarming number of countries, and I am currently on the smallest republic in the World (9500 people, 8 sq miles) with one flight a week an NO BANKS (no banks, ATM machines, credit cards or anything else. Cash only).

I have never been arrested, put in jail, kicked out, or banned. If I can do it so can you. Time to act like adults people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.