Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by unhappyhere
I am shocked that you just make comments with out actually doing any background work.
Don't be. I'm only here for the cheap shots.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
ok if you'd like to deflect this back to debt then the rules on debt are.... shades of grey. There are rules and there are rules. Or are you saying that as an outsider one should not be confused about the people who do and don't land up in jail.

If you agree with this confusion then the rules are not very clear are they?
the rules / laws on debt are pretty clear...it's the apparent random enforcement of the rules as to where the confusion comes from.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The bit that shocked me most in this thread was the claim that the National was the world's worst paper. We all know that's the Khaleej times.
Give me a copy of 'The Sun' please - and something to read!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:46 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

To all the skippys would let a friend borrow your car then **** off with it and never bring it back?
Or how about letting them come round empty your booze cabinet and take it all with them
Or perhaps borrow your laptop and never return it

Sure you could have them locked up for theft but gosh the laws unjust....
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
ok if you'd like to deflect this back to debt then the rules on debt are.... shades of grey. There are rules and there are rules. Or are you saying that as an outsider one should not be confused about the people who do and don't land up in jail.

If you agree with this confusion then the rules are not very clear are they?
Deflect? The thread is entitled 'Dubai debt skips', that seems pretty clear.

Here are the facts. The law says that if someone bounces a cheque or does not pay a debt, they can be reported to the police. This can lead to arrest and imprisonment. What is not clear about that?

Certainly there are people here who appear to get around the law, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a law that applies to most people. You appear to be confusing fairness and legality. Let me remind you again, no poster here is saying that being sent to jail for debts is fair. If certain people are assuming that the law doesn't or shouldn't apply to them then they are really very stupid indeed.

There are loads of things about the UAE that are unfair, morally suspect or just downright wrong. I have never said this place is perfect, so I am simply reiterating the law. Not saying that I agree with it. There is a massive distinction.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:47 am
Just Joined

unhappyhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Don't be. I'm only here for the cheap shots.
thank you for admitting that. I need to see some of you still have humour.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
the rules / laws on debt are pretty clear...it's the apparent random enforcement of the rules as to where the confusion comes from.
Then isn't it best/safest to assume 'worst case scenario' and not be disappointed?

(That sounds a bit LH - eek!)
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:50 am
Bored liberal

thank you for admitting that. I need to see some of you still have humour.
We all have a well-developed sense of humour. It's the only way to survive this place. (The UAE/ME as well as this board!).

Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:55 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Even the FCO, bless their hearts, cover this on their country advice:

In the Consular Report "British Behaviour Abroad", which is based on consular statistics, it was found that of the 20 countries in the world with the largest British expatriate populations, Britons are more likely to be arrested in the UAE than any other country covered by the report except Thailand. This is largely because the UAE laws and customs are very different to those in the UK. There may be serious penalties for doing something that might not be illegal in the UK. You are therefore strongly advised to familiarise yourself with, and respect local laws and customs, which form the foundation of the UAE’s rich cultural traditions.
[...]
Fraud, including bouncing cheques and the non-payment of bills (including hotel bills), is regarded seriously in the UAE and can often result in imprisonment and/or a fine. Bail is generally not available to non-residents of the UAE who are arrested for crimes involving fraud. Convicted debtors will not generally be released from jail until the debt is paid or waived.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...wsCustoms&pg=3
Bolding mine.

I'm always surprised just how many people would move to a foreign land without reading stuff like this. It's not exactly hidden.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:56 am
Bored liberal

<snip>
Wow! More nasty, unfounded personal comments. You clearly have not ready what I have quite calmly posted. Nor do you know anything about me and what I do here.

You are simply making yourself look like a fool by your posts.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

I'm beginning to think unhappyhere might be an ex-employee of ****** or some similar company.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to think unhappyhere might be an ex-employee of VeDere or some similar company.
or just a complete and utter tosser, which is where I'm leaning towards at the moment
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:00 am
Bored liberal

I'm beginning to think unhappyhere might be an ex-employee of VeDere or some similar company.

I think his name is something of an understatement. Perhaps he should change it to 'reallyflippingmiserable', 'bitterandhateful' or some such?

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:02 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by shiva
To all the skippys would let a friend borrow your car then **** off with it and never bring it back?
Or how about letting them come round empty your booze cabinet and take it all with them
Or perhaps borrow your laptop and never return it

Sure you could have them locked up for theft but gosh the laws unjust....

Good points Shiva. I look forward to reading the justifications of some people.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think his name is something of an understatement. Perhaps he should change it to 'reallyflippingmiserable', 'bitterandhateful' or some such?

Any other suggestions?
Lionheart should be available shortly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.