Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Wikiposts

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

huzaifakapadia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Hello, I have an old debt from 2007 which I have not paid..few credit cards and a personal loan...does anyone here know of a way to clear that as I don't even remember the names of the banks. I want to take it off my head so incase in the future my work sends me for a visit to dubai they shouldn't put me behind bars.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:22 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irich
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_Gomorrah.jpg

You don't get something for nothing.

Of course the locals will rip you off.

Don't expect freedom, equality or justice anywhere in the region.

Don't believe the hype.

Any expat is a third class citizen.

Any ex pat woman is a fourth class citizen.
Love that painting. I'm sure the original is in the Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huzaifakapadia
Hello, I have an old debt from 2007 which I have not paid..few credit cards and a personal loan...does anyone here know of a way to clear that as I don't even remember the names of the banks. I want to take it off my head so incase in the future my work sends me for a visit to dubai they shouldn't put me behind bars.
Just head over here, you will get a reminder very quickly.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:40 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huzaifakapadia
Don't remember the names of the banks?

You'll need to jog your memory to get started. The banks will come to an arrangement to let you repay over time and may even accept a lower amount, but not until you know which banks...

Last edited by Meow; Nov 19th 2012 at 8:20 pm. Reason: usual crap typing
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
You'll need to jog your memory to get started.
HSBC
Lloyds TSB
Emirates NBD
Mashreq
ADCB
Arab Bank
Citi Bank
RakBank
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
HSBC
Lloyds TSB
Emirates NBD
Mashreq
ADCB
Arab Bank
Citi Bank
RakBank
Jodrell Bank
Dogger Bank
Sperm Bank
River Bank
Takethattothe Bank
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
Jodrell Bank
Dogger Bank
Sperm Bank
River Bank
Takethattothe Bank
Spank Bank
Wank Bank
Clothes Bank
Monopoly Bank
Money in the Bank
Dealornodeal Bank(er)
Bank Street
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:22 am
Just Joined

keeleboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in people's views on my story and any comments that might give me advice on what to do. I am not under exaggerating when I am quoting numbers in hundreds, not hundreds of thousands.

I didn't skip on a debt: I left the UAEfor personal reasons in Feb 2012 and decided to never go back. I withdrew all my cash in the UK but left in approx 900 AED to cover my final credit card bill, which I estimated would be close to £100, leaving me with enough left over.

Turns out I miscalculated and my final bill was 950AED. I checked my current account (which was linked to the credit card, meaning I would never default) two months later and I still had plenty of money left in. I withdrew in good faith.

Two months further down the line I get an email from the bank informing me I had defaulted on my credit card and I now owed 2000 AED with the default charges. I argued via email, heard nothing for two months, before I had an offer to pay off 1500 aed from a company called Tahseel acting as agents. In order to just move on with my life I paid, though owing to hidden charges at the UAE end I was 25 dirhams short.

Again I heard nothing until 5 months later I get another email from another debt collection agency saying I still owed money. When I forwarded the email exchange with Tahseel she said that they had no right to make any kind of final offer but now she was able to offer me a final offer. Of 3000 AED.

Unsurprisingly I refused to pay such a ridiculous amount for a debt of, originally, 950 aed, of which I had paid 1500. I told her as much, only to get emails, 3 months later, from HSBC again, asking me to contact them about payment.

I have never wanted to quibble over the debts, and I made sure that for the 18 months I was stationed in that dump that I never got into debt. Obviously 15 months of charges will now amount to a hefty sum for an original debt of £150, one which I'm not particularly willing to pay considering my experience.

Is it worth complaining to HSBC international? Or will they be able to enforce repayment in the UK, considering I have already paid over 150% of the original debt?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Any HSBC office outside of the UAE will just tell you to contact the branches here.

Seems odd that the bank contacted a debt collection agency for such a small amount. Best to deal with the bank directly, or I can do that for you and will get a quick result. If you check me out via my signature below you will see that I deal with these issues via a newspaper column on a regular basis.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Write to the CEO of HSBC. Don't bother with the Middle East operations.

If you get fobbed off, then ...

Buy some HSBC shares
Go to the AGM
Ask the CEO directly in front of everybody if he is aware of how this business is run.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Write to the CEO of HSBC. Don't bother with the Middle East operations.

If you get fobbed off, then ...

Buy some HSBC shares
Go to the AGM
Ask the CEO directly in front of everybody if he is aware of how this business is run.
Good advice, but you can also pick up the phone and call the Group Chairman (Douglas Flint) on the main Head Office number. Tell the telephonist it relates to a complaint about the bank's Dubai business - that will get you through to Flint, as he has a sizeable dossier already on Dubai.........

By the way - HSBC Middle East is regulated by the JERSEY Financial Services Commission, so contacting the regulator there might also work.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Good advice, but you can also pick up the phone and call the Group Chairman (Douglas Flint) on the main Head Office number. Tell the telephonist it relates to a complaint about the bank's Dubai business - that will get you through to Flint, as he has a sizeable dossier already on Dubai.........

By the way - HSBC Middle East is regulated by the JERSEY Financial Services Commission, so contacting the regulator there might also work.
HSBC in Abu Dhabi is no better. I had no end of problems with them - switching to Emirates NBD was one of the the best financial moves I made here.

They shouldn't be using the name when the service is more National Bank of Uganda.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

keeleboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice: I imagine HSBC would wash their hands of it but I hadn't thought of the Jersey FSC.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeleboy
Thanks for the advice: I imagine HSBC would wash their hands of it but I hadn't thought of the Jersey FSC.
You would be amazed at the response rate when you write to the CEO (or any multinational) with a complaint. I've done it a couple of times and the response is always immediate.

Copy the regulator if you are really pissed off.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You would be amazed at the response rate when you write to the CEO (or any multinational) with a complaint. I've done it a couple of times and the response is always immediate.

Copy the regulator if you are really pissed off.
Absolutely.

BT had a separate team to deal with complaints sent to the CEO / Directors. The bloke I spoke to was brilliant and had all his details to make any changes / cancel when I moved out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.