Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Fair point about the nappies. I am probably about mid-point between last buying them and having to buy them again Fresh food should be from the excellent markets (veg, meat, fish), tinned/bottled food and household stuff from wherever's cheapest (Co-Op? Lulu?).

ps For my youngest two (who are now 20ish) we never bought nappies, used cotton ones and washed them. Don't know if that's feasible here and/or if it would cost more in water/power/washing powder for the washing machine (but surely not).
Co-op is quality for all things household. Banned from going there too though. Went for bog roll, kitchen roll and washing powder.

Mrs went into orbit when I came home with matching bog roll and kitchen roll that was bright red and cost 42 dirhams for a pack of 4 bog rolls. Hahahaha.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

<snip the spam this replied to>

it was always illegal to actually live on a boat doubt things have changed.

Last edited by Bob; Jul 20th 2012 at 12:39 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
If you don't have housing and schooling provided then you really won't manage on that! 31500 a month and 2 children!! no way
Just been reading this thread and had to add my opinion. I can't believe so may posters are saying this is a low wage and *impossible* to survive on. It is definately not impossible to survive on, and it may be lower than alot of western expats get paid here but its still a hell of a lot higher than you get in the UK for the same job.

When we first came here 5 years ago we had a *combined* income of 29k per month and we lived in a 3 bedroom apartment on the beachfront which was much bigger than the 4 bedroom house we left behind in the UK. We have 2 teenagers, and one of whom went to school and did A levels here. The other wasn't at school age but we could have afforded to school him as well. Our lifestyle became significantly better, we had a new car each, a bigger nicer home, more leisure time and more expendable cash. We spent our weekends driving out for picnics in the desert, mountains or on the beach. I suppose it depends on what your standard of living and expectations are - we were not lavish spenders and eating out all the time kind of people in the UK and we are the same here.

What you have also failed to point out to the OP is the scope for career development in this region. We have both been promoted and head hunted over the 5 years and are now on much higher salaries, so I for one am glad we took the chance and came here on such a *low* salary to start with, and even if we had stayed on that salary we still got great career experience and the chance to live in another country & experice new cultures and learn new languages. And we still dont lead the rockstar expat lifetyle even though we now earn the salary to afford it!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:45 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BritGeek;10187661] and learn new languages. /QUOTE]

You've learned Arabic?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=commander;10187668]
Originally Posted by BritGeek
and learn new languages. /QUOTE]

You've learned Arabic?
no, well only a little bit but I'm learning Hindi and my kids speak fluent Tagalog and bits of Arabic, Hindi and Mayalalam due to havinng such a wide range of friends
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading this thread and had to add my opinion. I can't believe so may posters are saying this is a low wage and *impossible* to survive on. It is definately not impossible to survive on, and it may be lower than alot of western expats get paid here but its still a hell of a lot higher than you get in the UK for the same job.

When we first came here 5 years ago we had a *combined* income of 29k per month and we lived in a 3 bedroom apartment on the beachfront which was much bigger than the 4 bedroom house we left behind in the UK. We have 2 teenagers, and one of whom went to school and did A levels here. The other wasn't at school age but we could have afforded to school him as well. Our lifestyle became significantly better, we had a new car each, a bigger nicer home, more leisure time and more expendable cash. We spent our weekends driving out for picnics in the desert, mountains or on the beach. I suppose it depends on what your standard of living and expectations are - we were not lavish spenders and eating out all the time kind of people in the UK and we are the same here.

What you have also failed to point out to the OP is the scope for career development in this region. We have both been promoted and head hunted over the 5 years and are now on much higher salaries, so I for one am glad we took the chance and came here on such a *low* salary to start with, and even if we had stayed on that salary we still got great career experience and the chance to live in another country & experice new cultures and learn new languages. And we still dont lead the rockstar expat lifetyle even though we now earn the salary to afford it!
BUT, did you get your housing paid for? and your school fees? You say you had 2 teenagers yet 1 wasn't at school age???

Anyway, well done on your lifestyle choices, I still say that without housing or school fees paid it is not doable unless they want to live somewhere like International city
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

BUT, did you get your housing paid for? and your school fees? You say you had 2 teenagers yet 1 wasn't at school age???
no we got nothing except health insurance. One child was 14 and the other was 18 and had already left school
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:07 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BritGeek;10187677]
Originally Posted by commander

no, well only a little bit but I'm learning Hindi and my kids speak fluent Tagalog and bits of Arabic, Hindi and Mayalalam due to havinng such a wide range of friends
that's pretty cool.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=commander;10187711]

that's pretty cool.
Thats why I'm so glad we came here, despite not being on great salaries. The child that went to school here obvioulsy has had a much wider experience. She has made friends from many nationalities, including locals and has even travelled to friends homes in India and Sudan for the summer with their families. She is now 19 and is confident enough to be going to live in Budapest on her own to go to University, a confidence that I'm sure has grown from living and travelling here
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:28 am
banned

Post Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

[QUOTE=BritGeek;10187719]
Thats why I'm so glad we came here, despite not being on great salaries. The child that went to school here obvioulsy has had a much wider experience. She has made friends from many nationalities, including locals and has even travelled to friends homes in India and Sudan for the summer with their families. She is now 19 and is confident enough to be going to live in Budapest on her own to go to University, a confidence that I'm sure has grown from living and travelling here
How 'streetwise' do you think she is though? Don't you think that the UAE is a bit of a cucoon..you can walk around at night, leave your mobile on your table at a bar etc etc..

Its just one of those worries I have with Dubai expat kids...
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=commander;10187736]

How 'streetwise' do you think she is though? Don't you think that the UAE is a bit of a cucoon..you can walk around at night, leave your mobile on your table at a bar etc etc..

Its just one of those worries I have with Dubai expat kids...
true, Dubai is a cucoon. But I hope we have done a good job of raising her to be aware and sensible. I dont believe in wrapping kids up in cotton wool, but on the other hand you have to exercise some caution. I let her go to Sudan a few years back when there was all the trouble, but only after doing alot of research about the exact location and safety of where she was staying. We thought that the life experience of going outweighed the danger.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:18 am
banned

[QUOTE=BritGeek;10187751]

true, Dubai is a cucoon. But I hope we have done a good job of raising her to be aware and sensible. I dont believe in wrapping kids up in cotton wool, but on the other hand you have to exercise some caution. I let her go to Sudan a few years back when there was all the trouble, but only after doing alot of research about the exact location and safety of where she was staying. We thought that the life experience of going outweighed the danger.
That sounds like just the way I want to bring up my little one..(Apart from send her to Sudan of course ;-))

I have seen the other side to expat kids...I.e an 18year old guy I know recently posted on FB that 'when I grow up I'm going to take my kids to hogwarts and fly'.....hmmm...
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very well being able to afford the house, schooling etc, but what about savings? If you aren't putting away significant sums for your future then you can't afford to live here. People's lack of provision for their own futures is a demographic timebomb.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's all very well being able to afford the house, schooling etc, but what about savings? If you aren't putting away significant sums for your future then you can't afford to live here. People's lack of provision for their own futures is a demographic timebomb.
My sister is married to a millionaire darling..... there is my provision for my future, she has enough money to look after both of us
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My sister is married to a millionaire darling..... there is my provision for my future, she has enough money to look after both of us
Ha ha! An unusual plan...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.