Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:58 am
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough
Default Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Hello,

I'm moving to the UAE later this year to work for Mubadala. Salary is 63K GBP. Out of that I have to take care of my own expenses for a family of four. Medical and dental is provided along with 22 days vacation; and supposedly there is an annual bonus ok 8K GBP. So I've browsed the site in an effort to determine the best places to live, I've already determined that Abu Dhabi is too expensive, hence, the decision to commute from Dubai. I'm budgeting for no more than 110K AED on a 3 bedroom. Besides Al Jumeirah and Umm Sequm, what other places would you suggest, and is 110K being too cheap? Thanks for your advice.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Hello,

I'm moving to the UAE later this year to work for Mubadala. Salary is 63K GBP. Out of that I have to take care of my own expenses for a family of four. Medical and dental is provided along with 22 days vacation; and supposedly there is an annual bonus ok 8K GBP. So I've browsed the site in an effort to determine the best places to live, I've already determined that Abu Dhabi is too expensive, hence, the decision to commute from Dubai. I'm budgeting for no more than 110K AED on a 3 bedroom. Besides Al Jumeirah and Umm Sequm, what other places would you suggest, and is 110K being too cheap? Thanks for your advice.
If you don't have housing and schooling provided then you really won't manage on that! 31500 a month and 2 children!! no way
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:19 am
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
If you don't have housing and schooling provided then you really won't manage on that! 31500 a month and 2 children!! no way
Thanks for your sincere advice and concern. I know the deal isn't as good as what most of you were able to secure 3 to 7 years or more ago, but in today's market this is what's being offered. Based on my numbers, Patsy:

Rent 12K
Groceries 4320
Tuition 6K (for 2)
Utilities 900
Gasoline 540
Car for hire 2160

All figures in AED, based on monthly expenditure, the total of which is just under 26K. Based on that, disposable income is about 11K GBP per year. Now if I can find a place for 110K instead of 140K, I will save an extra 5K GBP. Also, if I buy a car instead of renting, I save an additional 4K GBP. For a total savings of 20K GBP. That's more than I can save back home. If they are truthful about the bonus, then that's even more. Still think I can't make it dear? Or am I utterly naive? Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your sincere advice and concern. I know the deal isn't as good as what most of you were able to secure 3 to 7 years or more ago, but in today's market this is what's being offered. Based on my numbers, Patsy:

Rent 12K
Groceries 4320
Tuition 6K (for 2)
Utilities 900
Gasoline 540
Car for hire 2160

All figures in AED, based on monthly expenditure, the total of which is just under 26K. Based on that, disposable income is about 11K GBP per year. Now if I can find a place for 110K instead of 140K, I will save an extra 5K GBP. Also, if I buy a car instead of renting, I save an additional 4K GBP. For a total savings of 20K GBP. That's more than I can save back home. If they are truthful about the bonus, then that's even more. Still think I can't make it dear? Or am I utterly naive? Thanks.
There are a lot of things that you have forgotten.
5% agents fee 5% of your rent housing tax. Internet/phones, after school activities, your utilities are a bit short, you won't be able to buy a car straight away. I'm not sure about your schooling it will depend on the age of your children but it seems low.
You will have to pay your rent in 3 or 4 cheques, there is also a 10% security deposit and 2000dhs security deposit on your DEWA.
I really do think that you have come up short. You will need 2 cars because your wife will have to do the school runs and ferry the kids around.
You haven't factored anything for uniforms/books/play/extras etc.
If you haven't already signed it is time for more negotiations, dear.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:06 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

. I know the deal isn't as good as what most of you were able to secure 3 to 7 years or more ago, but in today's market this is what's being offered. .
Horseshit...if you can live of it, take it, if not dont.

Its being offered because there are far too many wannabee expats willing to accept such crap deals.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:57 am
Banned

There are a lot of things that you have forgotten.
5% agents fee 5% of your rent housing tax. Internet/phones, after school activities, your utilities are a bit short, you won't be able to buy a car straight away. I'm not sure about your schooling it will depend on the age of your children but it seems low.
You will have to pay your rent in 3 or 4 cheques, there is also a 10% security deposit and 2000dhs security deposit on your DEWA.
I really do think that you have come up short. You will need 2 cars because your wife will have to do the school runs and ferry the kids around.
You haven't factored anything for uniforms/books/play/extras etc.
If you haven't already signed it is time for more negotiations, dear.
Indeed, I haven't considered some of what you've pointed out, though some of what you've mentioned are one time, nonrecurring payments. But yes I have come up short. I'm sure only I can truly answer this question for myself, but I'm just curious, if you were in my situation with a family of four, and the salary is already 40% more than you are making, what would be the minimum you would accept to make the move, knowing what you know about the UAE?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by commander
Horseshit...if you can live of it, take it, if not dont.

Its being offered because there are far too many wannabee expats willing to accept such crap deals.
I feel the same about people settling for low offers. Though from what I've read here, I've been given one of the best offers for the particular company in question. It sure would be nice if we could leverage our numbers and collectively bargain for more. But the sad fact is that many people these days are not working in the West and are in a state of desperation. Should they stay in the breadlines at home? Or should they accept whatever half decent salary comes their way from the Middle East to put food on the table?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you won't find a house in jumeriah / umm sequem for 110 regardless of size.

110 means ... a flat in the marina/ greens, a rabbit warren in the springs or a nice house (although kids will have to share a room) near to powerlines in the dust bowl that is JVT.

In your situation I'd take the flat. The springs isn't great (although not as bad as everyone makes out I guess). The summer utilities for a house in the springs could be over 1k AED / month.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, I haven't considered some of what you've pointed out, though some of what you've mentioned are one time, nonrecurring payments. But yes I have come up short. I'm sure only I can truly answer this question for myself, but I'm just curious, if you were in my situation with a family of four, and the salary is already 40% more than you are making, what would be the minimum you would accept to make the move, knowing what you know about the UAE?
As tempting as it seems on paper, I would not try and bring a family of 4 to the UAE on 31k / AED month. But, everyone has their pain threshold and it wouldn't be impossible.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I feel the same about people settling for low offers. Though from what I've read here, I've been given one of the best offers for the particular company in question. It sure would be nice if we could leverage our numbers and collectively bargain for more. But the sad fact is that many people these days are not working in the West and are in a state of desperation. Should they stay in the breadlines at home? Or should they accept whatever half decent salary comes their way from the Middle East to put food on the table?
I understand what you are saying. Just remember that there is no safety net out here. You CANNOT get into debt, there is no social services, everything is expensive. The only 1 off costs that you have are the 5% agency 10% security and the dewa deposit.
I just asked a friend of mine about school fees and she said around 40/50k per year per child.
Anyway, good luck with it if you decide to come over.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Millhouse
As tempting as it seems on paper, I would not try and bring a family of 4 to the UAE on 31k / AED month. But, everyone has their pain threshold and it wouldn't be impossible.

"Pain threshold", I love your sense of humour. I've seen a recent post where a young guy went back and forth with the seasoned bored members about his offer. It was a crappy one as you all pointed out, yet he insisted it was a great one. I don't want to repeat the same thing here. To cut to the chase, what would you say is the minimum acceptable offer then ( I know this is not the same for everyone)?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

"Pain threshold", I love your sense of humour. I've seen a recent post where a young guy went back and forth with the seasoned bored members about his offer. It was a crappy one as you all pointed out, yet he insisted it was a great one. I don't want to repeat the same thing here. To cut to the chase, what would you say is the minimum acceptable offer then ( I know this is not the same for everyone)?
You could go with that offer IF you got a housing allowance and school fees paid.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:41 am
Banned

I understand what you are saying. Just remember that there is no safety net out here. You CANNOT get into debt, there is no social services, everything is expensive. The only 1 off costs that you have are the 5% agency 10% security and the dewa deposit.
I just asked a friend of mine about school fees and she said around 40/50k per year per child.
Anyway, good luck with it if you decide to come over.
Thanks, Patsy. I'm still in the negotiating phase by the way. If by some long shot they gave me an extra 36K AED per year (as I'm asking for), would you then think it was a good offer?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Patsy. I'm still in the negotiating phase by the way. If by some long shot they gave me an extra 36K AED per year (as I'm asking for), would you then think it was a good offer?
What is your profession?

Mubadala took on one of our guys and gave him a better package that we were offering last year.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by saudiflares
What is your profession?

Mubadala took on one of our guys and gave him a better package that we were offering last year.
Aircraft Structural Engineer.
What was the offer for that guy if you don't mind me asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.