Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Scamp
You just did though mate. and anyway, I thought I'd cleared up the fact that you're probably the teaboy?

Is English not your first language?
Who is racist now for calling me a teaboy because English is not my first language
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shiva
funny, you were a bean counter in march

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759517

"My area of work is accounting/auditing."

i love it when nuggets do this
Just shows your lack of understanding. What skills are required for M&A work?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I normally wouldn't and don't boast, but with you I shall make an exception. At 31 I sold a Recruitment Business for more than you can earn in 5 years.

I also own a business in the ME, so don't act billy big balls with me on your peasant salary. What you earn net in the UK I pay my salesmen here.
Good luck and great going mate. I have respect for you, not because you have money but because you have achieved something. As I said earlier, MAJORITY will not be in the same position as me. You are minority in that sense and you know it.

I have learned to respect and learn from achievers not from tom/dick/harry no gooders who couldn't cut the mustard even in their own country.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Ha ha!

A quote from his first (?) post "I am British and have recently accepted a job in Doha. It is with company which is well known in the western world. In UK, after tax I get about 65 to 70k GBP per year (including bonus, etc)."
He also states the Qatar salary as 103k, not 130k so perhaps he is dyslexic as well as arrogant and stupid?

My maths is pretty good and I am sure that GBP 65K (incl bonus so not a basic, note) is way less than the GBP 130k is he now claiming to earn. A decent whack but not great. Silly, silly boy.

Look at the last post of that forum for my post-negotiation figures. Re the 130 claim, there are other items that I have not disclosed in terms of stock options, etc as I was only looking at the liquid and/or taxable side of things....*sigh*
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

I have tried to answer all questions/points/rants, etc. Here is the thing.....

My humble opinion to Jamworld was simply that he should look at things on a relative basis. The good ole days of very high salaries only because you are from UK are almost over for new expats and are numbered for the existing ones.

The new normal and reality of the economically interconnected world is that everyone is impacted by the financial crisis and we are collectively not on the path of recovery *yet*.

With that backdrop if the choice *as I interpreted* is between going on benefits and potentially losing your job and home vs. going to ME where you can survive on the package offered along with saving 20 to 30k GBP per year, while your house rent is paying your mortgage, etc. Then my suggestion would be to go with the latter. That is really the crux.

I still do think that some of the people on this forum are not being very genuine with the potential expat queries. If someone from India/Pakistan/Philipines/Nepal/Bangladesh/etc can survive on a 15k AED salary and also sends his kids to school, then so can you. You just need to adjust your lifestyle according to your income. Poor people don't kill themselves because life is unaffordable for the lifestyle that they want to have, but rather adjust their lifestyle. It is about time a lot of other people, including us the brits should do that too.

According to a lot of you, I am also selling myself short for the offer I got. However, I am taking it because I believe according to my calculations it will be sufficient for the lifestyle I want. On top of that, my debt in UK will be taken care of for years to come through rent and managing agents. This is my choice and I am making it considering the changing environment in the economy and the times to come.

Hope it clears some air. I apologise if I was winding you up, it clearly wasn't intentional. Perhaps pin it to a bad day at office?

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I can piss almost 6ft. Beat that.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Still have to share Karma around before giving you more. Have it publicly instead.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I surrender
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and great going mate. I have respect for you, not because you have money but because you have achieved something. As I said earlier, MAJORITY will not be in the same position as me. You are minority in that sense and you know it.

I have learned to respect and learn from achievers not from tom/dick/harry no gooders who couldn't cut the mustard even in their own country.

Sorry Londonlad- so you only acheive something if you earn big bucks? I beg to differ, money comes and goes, there is so much more to life than the kerching. Whether you are meaning to come across as an arrogant knob jockey or not perhaps you should think a little bit more before you post- how you prioritise your values is up to you, what you rate your sucesses on is a personal thing- you have absolutely no idea what other people have done in life to say you have no respect for them and call them no gooders (very elequent I might add). You do appear to be about as deep as a puddle, and if that really is how you feel then I would suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror and see if you can see anything other than a banker wanker- I'm sure you can't be as soulless as you are coming across as.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1

Sorry Londonlad- so you only acheive something if you earn big bucks? I beg to differ, money comes and goes, there is so much more to life than the kerching. Whether you are meaning to come across as an arrogant knob jockey or not perhaps you should think a little bit more before you post- how you prioritise your values is up to you, what you rate your sucesses on is a personal thing- you have absolutely no idea what other people have done in life to say you have no respect for them and call them no gooders (very elequent I might add). You do appear to be about as deep as a puddle, and if that really is how you feel then I would suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror and see if you can see anything other than a banker wanker- I'm sure you can't be as soulless as you are coming across as.
Couldn't agree more with you. Perhaps, this is in line with the context under which we started the discussion (ie, how much is enough, and whats enough for one isnt for another - One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, etc).

I have a lot of respect for people who are achievers and none for those who just get by. I stick to that opinion, but I take your point that perhaps I wasn't clear enough re what my definition of achievement is. Financial success/freedom is one, but of course I got others in my book.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by london_lad
Couldn't agree more with you. Perhaps, this is in line with the context under which we started the discussion (ie, how much is enough, and whats enough for one isnt for another - One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, etc).

I have a lot of respect for people who are achievers and none for those who just get by. I stick to that opinion, but I take your point that perhaps I wasn't clear enough re what my definition of achievement is. Financial success/freedom is one, but of course I got others in my book.
Can you go any quicker in reverse?

You have no respect for other people regardless of wealthy / poor / succesful / struggling / new starter / seasoned expat / 20yr old / 55yr old, that is clear from the way you post and your atrocious attitude.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Can you go any quicker in reverse?

You have no respect for other people regardless of wealthy / poor / succesful / struggling / new starter / seasoned expat / 20yr old / 55yr old, that is clear from the way you post and your atrocious attitude.
Ok. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I wont be losing any sleep over it though.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by london_lad
Ok. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I wont be losing any sleep over it though.
But I'm not sure what you expect, come on acting like billy big bollocks giving it stacks saying how wonderful and loaded you are and generally spouting utter shite.

Then get found out.

Then come back trying to be nice and understanding.

Just give up, can't act like a **** and then expect people to be your understanding forum friend.

All that being said, have a good weekend.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

But I'm not sure what you expect, come on acting like billy big bollocks giving it stacks saying how wonderful and loaded you are and generally spouting utter shite.

Then get found out.

Then come back trying to be nice and understanding.

Just give up, can't act like a **** and then expect people to be your understanding forum friend.

All that being said, have a good weekend.
Mate. Nothing been found out, I explained all the things that a few of you picked up being inconsistent. Read my posts above. Its not about being found out.

I just re-read what I had posted and realised that I just went with the flow (wrongly). I always try my best to quickly realise my mistakes and learn from it.

Apologies for saying the things I said to you. I really have nothing against villages, infact when I retire I want to settle in a village myself. The life is REAL in villages imho. So I was just winding you up, personally I have nothing against villages or people from there.

You have a good weekend, I still need to wait 1 more day for the weekend.

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.