Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:45 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Hello,

I'm moving to the UAE later this year to work for Mubadala. Salary is 63K GBP. Out of that I have to take care of my own expenses for a family of four. Medical and dental is provided along with 22 days vacation; and supposedly there is an annual bonus ok 8K GBP. So I've browsed the site in an effort to determine the best places to live, I've already determined that Abu Dhabi is too expensive, hence, the decision to commute from Dubai. I'm budgeting for no more than 110K AED on a 3 bedroom. Besides Al Jumeirah and Umm Sequm, what other places would you suggest, and is 110K being too cheap? Thanks for your advice.
If you look in Al Reef, Khalifa City and places like that near Abu Dhabi airport you will find something in your budget or close to it...

The commute will drive you insane after a few months. I have a friend who now lives in a cheap hotel in Abu Dhabi because he can't stand the drive anymore.

N.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks have a good weekend
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Got to love bit of on a Thursday afternoon.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:39 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ranty man again?

Anyway, you have no respect for those who plod along?

My lovely grandad did just that. Was a brickie, lowly paid, never owned his house, never had fancy cars or holidays.

But he was a gentleman, full of kindness, compassion, integrity, love and yes, he held open the door for LOTS of old women, had impeccable manners and was the happiest person I have ever known. He never needed to boast or belittle or rant... He would have hooted at your bizarre idea of achievement.

You rant on about being on the dole as if it was certain death. I don't recall the OP even mentioning being on the dole. Being unemployed can be shit but for most people it's not the end of their journey just a stop along the way.

All this willy waving and plonker posturing - does it make you happy? Deep down? Attract people who will love you for who you are and not that "incredible" salary and career you have there?

Good luck in life. You'll need it with that execrable attitude.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Is this ranty man again?

My lovely grandad did just that. Was a brickie, lowly paid, never owned his house, never had fancy cars or holidays.

But he was a gentleman, full of kindness, compassion, integrity, love and yes, he held open the door for LOTS of old women, had impeccable manners and was the happiest person I have ever known. He never needed to boast or belittle or rant... He would have hooted at your bizarre idea of achievement.

You rant on about being on the dole as if it was certain death. I don't recall the OP even mentioning being on the dole. Being unemployed can be shit but for most people it's not the end of their journey just a stop along the way.

All this willy waving and plonker posturing - does it make you happy? Deep down? Attract people who will love you for who you are and not that "incredible" salary and career you have there?

Good luck in life. You'll need it with that execrable attitude.
Ouch. Take it easy, I have sobered up (so to speak). Full respect to your grand dad for being content in this material world, thats the zen place that I havent reached but does inspire me.

Also, thanks for the Good luck!!!

Good luck to you too
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:15 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

it's almost like two different people.

Millhouse I can piss 7 foot high btw.

Added mathematical formula for future postings:

[Height I can piss at]= [Height you can piss at] + 1 foot

also when I was poor I was poorer than you, when I was rich I was richer than you, when I lived in foreign it was more foreign than you etc etc..
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Guys since you left UK its been metricised, you can't use feet and inches any more
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:53 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Is this ranty man again?

Absolutely brilliant. This sort of thing goes back to being a gentleman (or a lady for women). It's about cultivating a caring nature, a respectful humility (but not subservience either).

And none of these rare and fine traits depend on money. Money is important and makes life easier as a means to an end but it doesn't make any one better, smarter, cultured or more empathic just by raking in lots of it.

N.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral

Millhouse I can piss 7 foot high btw.
I was quoting horizontal distance, not vertical. Obviously given the trajectory of piss it is a lot higher.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Well I think this thread has moved on and the OP has decided not to consider this particular opportunity, so shall we leave it as that...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_lad
Just shows your lack of understanding. What skills are required for M&A work?
If I recall correctly from my days of doing this exact job, the skills in order of importance are (i) bullshitting, (ii) powerpoint, and (iii) emailing.

Anyway - in your defence, I kind of see your view of measuring success by salary (note, I am not saying I agree with it). You work in an environment where you are targeted on things easily measured by numbers (deals closed, fee income generated etc.) You and the rest of your pin-stripe wearing powerpoint bullshitting colleagues know no better to measure things by numbers - as these generally translate into the bonus you see money as a measurement of success. I still call my self an investment banker as that is sort of what I do and it's easiest for people to understand (not that anyone who doesn't work in the industry understands it but it stops a lot of further questions) but I'm very pleased to be mostly out of it.

BTW - Qatar is the investment banking equivalent of Norwich - good luck building a credible deal sheet and your return to the London

Last edited by Millhouse; Jun 7th 2012 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I think this thread has moved on and the OP has decided not to consider this particular opportunity, so shall we leave it as that...
sorry bob - our posts crossed. feel free to drop mine (not the joke about pissing though)
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:54 pm
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Not so fast, Bob! I've countered and they have acquiesced. So this post is very much alive. Will provide new and updated figures shortly. Besides, my dear Patsy hasn't accepted my sincere apologies yet. Yoohoo... Patsy, where are you???
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

go on Patsy hun, he's being a good sport
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Not so fast, Bob! I've countered and they have acquiesced. So this post is very much alive. Will provide new and updated figures shortly. Besides, my dear Patsy hasn't accepted my sincere apologies yet. Yoohoo... Patsy, where are you???
Fair do's

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.