Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:50 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Originally Posted by Shard
You could always Streetview it for us...
I put my gps pic in the picture thread ,,, hang on
Attached Thumbnails Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!-image.jpg  
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit wonky .,, I was going straight over to turn left onto the bike lane on
Quebec
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I am only going on what has been said above but it sounds like you were in his blind spot ie to his right and wide of the cab of the vehicle due to the position of the cycle lane and that is why he may not see you. Regardless of right or wrong you may have put yourself in a venerable position. Looking at the map you have posted the driver would have had to pull slightly wide to the left and that would have only increased the blind spot that you were likely in.

I am IN NO WAY defending the driver as I don't have all the facts. The driver should have been indicating - I believe you when you say that you did not see it/ he was not. This will be important for any claim/action you need to assert that he was or was not, you not seeing it could exonerate the driver.

He should also have checked both his main and blindspot mirrors before and during the turn - you would only prove this either way if you had a witness that was looking at the driver at the point of the accident.

At which point did he knock you off? How far through his turn was he and where were you relative to his vehicle?

Were there any witnesses that could support you?

*just had a look at google maps. The reason he did not have seen you is fairly obvious. To you it would have appeared as if he was going straight on at the junction due to the angle that the lane arrives at. To get a rigid Truck around that bend he should have straddled both lanes and indicated right. He should be looking to get the vehicle around that corner wide and avoid coming too close to the kerb and to clear the cycle lane in the street he is turning into. If he was in the right lane he is making life difficult for himself and without the indicator it would look unlikely that he is going to turn right.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Oct 11th 2013 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I am only going on what has been said above but it sounds like you were in his blind spot ie to his right and wide of the cab of the vehicle due to the position of the cycle lane and that is why he may not see you. Regardless of right or wrong you may have put yourself in a venerable position. Looking at the map you have posted the driver would have had to pull slightly wide to the left and that would have only increased the blind spot that you were likely in.

I am IN NO WAY defending the driver as I don't have all the facts. The driver should have been indicating - I believe you when you say that you did not see it/ he was not. This will be important for any claim/action you need to assert that he was or was not. you not seeing it could exonerate the driver.

He should also have checked both his main and blindspot mirrors before and during the turn - you would only prove this either way if you had a witness that was looking at the driver at the point of the accident.

At which point did he knock you off? How far through his turn was he and where were you relative to his vehicle?

Were there any witnesses that could support you?

*just had a look at google maps. The reason he may not have seen you is fairly obvious. To you it would have appeared as if he was going straight on at the junction due to the angle that the lane arrives at. To get a rigid Truck around that bend he should have straddled both lanes and indicated right. He should be looking to get the vehicle around that corner wide and avoid coming too close to the kerb and to clear the cycle lane in the street he is turning into. If he was in the right lane he is making life difficult for himself and without the indicator it would look unlikely that he is going to turn right.
If he veered into the bike lane isn't he banged to rights?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Veered into on a straight section then yes. If he was indicating and turned at that junction slowly and wide of the kerb and if the cyclist came up the inside as he was turning then nope.

The key points here are who arrived at the junction first and if the driver was indicating. Imho I think that the driver was not indicating and he a) did not check his mirrors before and during the turn or equally likely b) 4b was in his blindspot at just the wrong time and he did look but could not see her.

The layout of the junction itself does not help

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Oct 11th 2013 at 4:34 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:43 pm
half a century

Plus the jxn has recently changed ... Big separate bright green bike lane to the right .. Separated from traffic by concrete blocks ... He was at the red light .. I was approaching -- lights changed. I continued, that's why I am pretty adamant that there was no indicator because if I'd seen it I would have held off and let him go !

It's v tight to turn right there now and in fact all the time I have been cycling it I have never seem anyone do it .. Although it doesn't say no rt turn ... The lay if the roads etc just doesn't make it an obvious move.

Also the front concrete block segregating the 2 lanes had been knocked into the bike lane .... Could have been him or previously done ...,
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:51 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I put my gps pic in the picture thread ,,, hang on
This junction ?
Attached Thumbnails Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!-qstvan.jpg  
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:03 pm
half a century

Yes I was coming from where those 3 parked cars are ., would have been on Rt by sidewalk .. Would have come under skytrain in front of the cars facing you .
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Plus the jxn has recently changed ... Big separate bright green bike lane to the right .. Separated from traffic by concrete blocks ... He was at the red light .. I was approaching -- lights changed. I continued, that's why I am pretty adamant that there was no indicator because if I'd seen it I would have held off and let him go !

It's v tight to turn right there now and in fact all the time I have been cycling it I have never seem anyone do it .. Although it doesn't say no rt turn ... The lay if the roads etc just doesn't make it an obvious move.

Also the front concrete block segregating the 2 lanes had been knocked into the bike lane .... Could have been him or previously done ...,
The red is the relevant part the rest not, unless you can prove he hit the concrete barrier which supports that he did not check his mirrors before and during the turn.

Could the concrete barriers have obscured your view of the tail light cluster?

I actually think that you could have claim here but it will be a question of what you focus on and how you word it. In a lot of cases like this where there is (hopefully) no lasting injuries to you and your bike got mashed a company will write you a cheque to make you shut up and go away as it is often the more economical option.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:06 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any CCTV cameras pointing at that spot?

Yes I was coming from where those 3 parked cars are ., would have been on Rt by sidewalk .. Would have come under skytrain in front of the cars facing you .
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:08 pm
half a century

See how tight to turn right onto expo ? Made worse now by added bike lane
Attached Thumbnails Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!-image.jpg  
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

See how tight to turn right onto expo ? Made worse now by added bike lane
Regardless of that if it is not prohibited then its irrelevant.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:10 pm
half a century

The red is the relevant part the rest not, unless you can prove he hit the concrete barrier which supports that he did not check his mirrors before and during the turn.

Could the concrete barriers have obscured your view of the tail light cluster?

I actually think that you could have claim here but it will be a question of what you focus on and how you word it. In a lot of cases like this where there is (hopefully) no lasting injuries to you and your bike got mashed a company will write you a cheque to make you shut up and go away as it is often the more economical option.
The concrete thing is only about a foot tall .. If that.

Not sure on CCTV

All I want is my bike mended, new helmet and pay for the 2 days I missed from work.. ATM all seems ok on body but will see !
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:16 pm
half a century

Regardless of that if it is not prohibited then its irrelevant.
Totally .. But if you were doing such a manoeuvre, With a busy bike lane on your left would you not double, triple check and then be bloody cautious?
Or is that just me as a driver and a cyclist ?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

The concrete thing is only about a foot tall .. If that.

Not sure on CCTV

All I want is my bike mended, new helmet and pay for the 2 days I missed from work.. ATM all seems ok on body but will see !
I would get a written quote for the repairs to your bike, get a new helmet and add the cost of 2 days off of work then get hold of the company and ask them to settle it with you. They will almost certainly call your bluff at which point you say that this is your last chance to settle with me otherwise you will be hearing from my lawyer. Then I would take them to small claims. Chances are they will poop themselves before it gets to court and settle with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.