Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Bloody hell.. What is it with people and their let's sue the buggers attitude!

Yes, if I was badly injured/ still sore/ suffering etc I would most likely be looking for some form of compensation .. If it was found to be the drivers fault etc
I like the suing attitude, quite good fun really. Keeps the perpetrators a little bit more alert. And I'm not paticularly sympathetic to insurance companies. There are also some practical reasons why you might want to gain compensation such as delayed injury.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Shard. ICBC doesn't give a rat's ass about you, or any other injured person. It's waaaaaay too soon to say whether you will have long term issues or not. I'm STILL getting headaches and my bike accident was in February.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Got back on my bicycle today ... Well Daughter's as mine is still in bits ! Slow cycle to club..v cautious thru the offending junction! But made it there n back ok
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Got back on my bicycle today ... Well Daughter's as mine is still in bits ! Slow cycle to club..v cautious thru the offending junction! But made it there n back ok
You get back on that horse girl!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ok .. So now I am having knee issues back to drs on wed!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:14 am
half a century

Well .. Spoke to my ICBC adjuster today ..the driver had been found 100% at fault !

They are paying out for my bike and for 20 massages ..and the case of the hurry knee remains open ..
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well .. Spoke to my ICBC adjuster today ..the driver had been found 100% at fault !

They are paying out for my bike and for 20 massages ..and the case of the hurry knee remains open ..

Most excellent news!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:10 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

This has probably already been said, can't be bothered to read all of thread, BUT.......

Do you half wit cyclists not pay any attention to the constantly advertised warning, 'do not cycle down the inside of a truck'!!??

I'm a trucker.........trust me, there's a very good chance the driver will NOT see you. There are numerous blind spots in a truck, the offside is the most dangerous place to be, even for cars!!!!

If you people gave the trucks the room they require to manoeuvre, the world would be a much happier place! You try sitting up there with a 101 idiots swerving all around you, desperate to get in front of you, all the while constantly checking mirrors, making sure you're going the right way, heeding traffic signals, monitoring the gauges, checking speed etc........the last thing you need is a half wit cyclist who thinks he's invincible, cycling up your inside!!!

Those people calling for the driver to be banned etc.....should hang your head in shame. He's probably a family man, working 70 + hours a week scraping a meager living in order to provide for his children. The job is tough enough without the constant barrage of abuse from Joe Public who thinks he knows it all!!!

It's about time people woke up and realised how hard it is to drive a truck......it is a PROFESSIONAL occupation who's required skill levels are way higher than most of 'your' jobs require!

Give truckers a bit more room and more importantly, respect!

I feel better now
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:38 am
half a century

And why don't you go and read the thread about the who what and why before you make a complete twat of yourself ?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:42 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

And why don't you go and read the thread about the who what and why before you make a complete twat of yourself ?
Who what and why is irrelevant! As soon as I read the bit about you being up the inside of a truck at a junction, I had read enough!

As for making a twat of myself.......does pointing out to ignorant road users, the difficulties of driving a truck, make me a twat? No, didn't think so!

If you would like to start a debate on the topic of trucks v's cyclists, I am happy to sit here all day and night and point out the facts to you! I, on a daily basis, have to avoid these idiots..........I don't want to be charged with manslaughter, lose my job and go to prison but some cyclists seem hell bent on making that happen! Ever tried overtaking a cyclist when you're pulling 44 ton?

Oh yes, it may well have been a dedicated cycle lane, but does that mean you can disengage your brain? What part of, 'truck drivers have blind spots' do you not understand?

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2; Nov 11th 2013 at 8:45 am.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2
Who what and why is irrelevant! As soon as I read the bit about you being up the inside of a truck at a junction, I had read enough!

As for making a twat of myself.......does pointing out to ignorant road users, the difficulties of driving a truck, make me a twat? No, didn't think so!

If you would like to start a debate on the topic of trucks v's cyclists, I am happy to sit here all day and night and point out the facts to you! I, on a daily basis, have to avoid these idiots..........I don't want to be charged with manslaughter, lose my job and go to prison but some cyclists seem hell bent on making that happen! Ever tried overtaking a cyclist when you're pulling 44 ton?

Oh yes, it may well have been a dedicated cycle lane, but does that mean you can disengage your brain? What part of, 'truck drivers have blind spots' do you not understand?
Read post #96. What part of "the driver had been found 100% at fault" is hard to grasp?

I'm sure there are many responsible truck drivers, and equally many irresponsible cyclists, out there. But in this case the quotient of responsibility was the other way round.

You are, indeed, making a twat of yourself. I'd stop now, if I were you.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 2:05 pm
Not so new ;-)

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Read post #96. What part of "the driver had been found 100% at fault" is hard to grasp?

I'm sure there are many responsible truck drivers, and equally many irresponsible cyclists, out there. But in this case the quotient of responsibility was the other way round.

You are, indeed, making a twat of yourself. I'd stop now, if I were you.
The driver had been found 100% at fault...........yes, technically, I agree. If we run over a cyclist - we always are!!! So, perhaps we should all stop when turning, get out and walk to the other side of the vehicle and check for cyclists! Common sense, however, should dictate using a brain when cycling up the offside of a truck when nearing a junction....THIS is my point!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 2:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The driver had been found 100% at fault...........yes, technically, I agree. If we run over a cyclist - we always are!!! So, perhaps we should all stop when turning, get out and walk to the other side of the vehicle and check for cyclists! Common sense, however, should dictate using a brain when cycling up the offside of a truck when nearing a junction....THIS is my point!
Your point, such as it is, is not relevant to this thread.

Responsible cyclist looks for non-existent turn signal. Truck driver makes turn anyway. Stupid, irresponsible, lazy, at-fault truck driver. Case closed.

Read thread before commenting.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:06 pm
half a century

Still looking a twat .
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:16 pm
Not so new ;-)

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Your point, such as it is, is not relevant to this thread.

Responsible cyclist looks for non-existent turn signal. Truck driver makes turn anyway. Stupid, irresponsible, lazy, at-fault truck driver. Case closed.

Read thread before commenting.
I have read the thread now....and it makes NO difference to my views!
You, my friend are a typical truck hater..........."Stupid, irresponsible, lazy"......don't be so ******* stereotypical!

The fact of the matter remains, cyclists should excercise common sense when riding up the blind side of a truck. Better still, dont do it - WE CAN'T SEE YOU!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.