Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that make you feel old

Things that make you feel old

Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things that make you feel old

A school classmate of mine has just posted on Facebook that the goalkeeper of the football team we used to go and watch each week has turned 70 years old.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that make you feel old

Somebody in the EPL thread in the locker room mentioned about players today could they handle playing with an actual leather football aka a casey from where I am from with actual leather lace up area.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Somebody in the EPL thread in the locker room mentioned about players today could they handle playing with an actual leather football aka a casey from where I am from with actual leather lace up area.
A "tub" where I grew up. I never played with a lace up, goodness me how old are you?!!! You might be in the same age group as the goalie I watched as a schoolboy!!!
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
A "tub" where I grew up. I never played with a lace up, goodness me how old are you?!!! You might be in the same age group as the goalie I watched as a schoolboy!!!
Oh still a few years to go before reaching that age.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing same model of car as my first car, a 1964 Singer Gazelle, featured as a 'classic' on the web....I bought mine in 1969.I ran it for a couple of years till it rotted out beneath me.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A school classmate of mine has just posted on Facebook that the goalkeeper of the football team we used to go and watch each week has turned 70 years old.
And rebellious rock stars of our youth

Mick Jagger 74, Elton nearly 70 and wanting to have time with his kids, Roger Daltrey 73.....
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:42 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And rebellious rock stars of our youth

Mick Jagger 74, Elton nearly 70 and wanting to have time with his kids, Roger Daltrey 73.....
Sorry Bristol but they were too old even when I was a lad.

Hamish McAlpine though??? He was the Dundee United goalkeeper when I was a young lad on the terraces every week. Brilliant character, still a big presence in the local area, and now to discover that guy I cheered as a schoolboy is 70.... oh Lordy.

Don't know why this is a shock, my parents are in their 70s but I obviously don't accept that I myself am not too far off a half-century.

Getting old is crap.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Getting old is crap.
Wait till you're in your 60's and all your friends start dropping like flies; in most of my stories now all the people are dead.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:46 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... just posted on Facebook ...
Not familiar with that.

The term, yes, the act of 'posting' not.

Does that give my age away?

Old Jan 27th 2018, 9:35 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
When I was at school we had to play with leather lace-ups, non-plasticised obviously, and these things were potentially lethal. I recall one soggy autumnal afternoon late on in the day, the ball had had ample opportunity to absorb just about everything in the entire county. No-one was interested in playing, but we had to. At some point our side won a corner; the poor sod who was sentenced to take it almost broke his ankle in the process, but managed to loft it goal-wards. Nobody went up for the header; the bombastic sports master screamed at us all.

One guy replied "Are you mad?"

"WHAT DID YOU SAY BOY?"

"Sorry, are you mad SIR?"

"DETENTION!"

Happy days.

Old Jan 27th 2018, 9:48 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
When I was at school we had to play with leather lace-ups, non-plasticised obviously, and these things were potentially lethal.
Absolutely, especially if they weren't inflated well. Any underinflation and a fair proportion of whatever kinetic energy the ball had acquired in dislocating the kicker's ankle would break the neck of anyone foolish enough to stick their head in the way or simply not paying attention, and double the casualty rate if the ball was wet which was nearly all the time.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 9:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

“Things that make you feel old”

When the student I was going to ask out, called me Mr. xxx.
I was 25.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was 16 years old when this was no.1

Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I was 16 years old when this was no.1
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Bristol but they were too old even when I was a lad.

1. Hamish McAlpine though??? He was the Dundee United goalkeeper when I was a young lad on the terraces every week.

2. Getting old is crap.
1. Jings...you must be a young-un Dundonian then. When I watched football in inclement weather (silly me) in Dens Park, across the street from United's Tannadice Park... Dundee F.C., not United, was the premier team.
I also used to take the overnight train with Dick McTaggart back to RAF Halton where we both served in the RAF...he washed dishes in the mess and I was an Apprentice.
Remember him....https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...taggart-1.html

2. That is so right...no matter at what age!

Last edited by Davita; Jan 27th 2018 at 11:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.