Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that make you feel old

Things that make you feel old

Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that make you feel old

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yeah I know what you mean they cant touch the Osmond's, Jackson 5, New Kids On The Block and The Bay City Rollers
The Jackson 5 absolutely do not deserve to be brought down to that level.

The Osmonds did have a decent record with Crazy Horses (really only because, for them, it was heavy) and BCR similarly with Money Honey. But The J5 had a bunch of classics that stood in their own right not just "not bad for them"
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
These modern bands that I haven’t heard of or listened to can’t hold a candle to the bands of my youth.
Indeed...Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and Vera Lynn singing 'Lili Marlene' and the 'Cliffs of Dover' always arouse a tear from me.
Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine were influential in my musical genre growing up as no USA performer was permitted in UK.

Many here may not be aware but the Musicians Union banned American performers from UK for a number of years.....

"However, the Union found itself struggling to come to terms with the advent of ‘rock’n’roll and its associated dance crazes. The Musician contained numerous disdainful references to both the music (skiffle was particularly maltreated) and the impact it had on live music. The perception of the Union as being out of touch with younger musicians and their audiences continued to be a problem for years to come."

Last edited by Davita; Jan 30th 2018 at 12:19 am.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 3:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I looked in the mirror and saw something that I didn't quite recognise, so I've decided to stop wearing jeans, apart from when doing DIY stuff.

How the heck do I dress in order to get to the store to buy something other than jeans?
I remember a friend in Hong Kong who had just hit 31 telling me that she would no longer wear jeans as 'they were for the young' as she didn't want to embarrass her children - she felt that it would be a case of mutton dressed as lamb. She also cut her hair, as long hair (in her opinion) was 'unsuitable for someone over 30'.

(I'm considerably older than that and still wear jeans and have almost waist length hair - I don't give a damn, lol)

Here in Canada, everyone seems to wear jeans from 2 year olds to octogenarians and nobody bats an eye.

I don't think you should stop wearing them, just get a pair that fits you properly! Nothing worse than seeing baggy arse jeans, in my opinion!

I love the fact you found some loons - I still remember wearing them..
Old Jan 30th 2018, 4:44 am
Just Joined

amy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
“Things that make you feel old”

When the student I was going to ask out, called me Mr. xxx.
I was 25.
Hahahahahaha!
The same happened to me, I was in chock
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A niece in college.

A niece starting college in the fall.

A nephew graduating high school in June.

All make me feel old...oh and the fact the last 21 years went by in a blink of an eye or so it seems....
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:59 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
A niece in college.

A niece starting college in the fall.

A nephew graduating high school in June.

All make me feel old...oh and the fact the last 21 years went by in a blink of an eye or so it seems....
The next 20 will go by in half a blink ! Be warned
Old Jan 30th 2018, 1:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I remember a friend in Hong Kong who had just hit 31 telling me that she would no longer wear jeans as 'they were for the young' as she didn't want to embarrass her children - she felt that it would be a case of mutton dressed as lamb. She also cut her hair, as long hair (in her opinion) was 'unsuitable for someone over 30'.

(I'm considerably older than that and still wear jeans and have almost waist length hair - I don't give a damn, lol)

Here in Canada, everyone seems to wear jeans from 2 year olds to octogenarians and nobody bats an eye.

I don't think you should stop wearing them, just get a pair that fits you properly! Nothing worse than seeing baggy arse jeans, in my opinion!

Lots of old fogeys wear jeans here, and cowboy hats, boots, shirts. It's a regular hoedown at the old folk's home.

I'll know that I'm really old when I wear a fleece jacket or waistcoat with birds embroidered on them. That and always clutching a Kleenex.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I'll know that I'm really old when I wear a fleece jacket or waistcoat with birds embroidered on them. That and always clutching a Kleenex.
There is a whole store for that look..Northern Reflections.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Stick to real ale.

Most people's 'era' is from the age of about 13 until about 25 which for me is 1977 - 1989. After about age 25 it gets more and more effort to keep up or indeed care about what is popular/on the charts etc. As well, many have collected enough of a collection that the urge to buy the latest chart music rapidly wanes....unless you are Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh or Elton John..three over 50's/60's who still keep up with the latest chart hits and profess to be interested in it all.
Good advice re stick to real ale!!

My era was a little different, I started a bit late and so went on a little later....my music taste hasn't changed massively with age (although we all have that embarassing concert we went to or album in our collection). I think my taste has changed a little due to my environment I now live in...In this part of Canada, everyone loves vintage rock or country... the 80s just isn't recognised and as a result genre's like electronica is pretty much despised....I would imagine that may be different in the big cities like Toronto though. Obviously there are many great vintage rock bands and songs which we all like....but country...hmm....small doses only!

Now I am older still enjoy electronic based music but more so when I am relaxing...in the form of downtempo/triphop/ambient genre which I suppose is a sub genre of electronica.

As I said in an earlier post, I dont feel as though I have changed that much as a person through getting older, probably due to my life path which wasn't the conventional one.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Unfortunately the 90's flew by for me. Early 90's I was in my late teens and too young for raves.

By the mid 90's I was backpacking around the world and missed the raves that my mates were going to.

I was married in 1995, my Son was born in 1996 so couldn't get out to raves or clubs for the next few years.

By the time the 2000's came around the rave scene was over.

Looking back I really regret not going to at least one illegal rave, judging from the video below, they looked fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYXcmVSeBU

I was in the right age group for raves....but I never went to one....my friends and I all had pretty strict parents, (which I never resented even to this day) so we were more for the main stream dance clubs back then. I suppose the nearest I got to raves were a few visits to Ibiza on holiday. I think my sister went to a couple of raves though....she was the rebelious one!
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:39 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Thank you so much for the support There's another pair of bright orange loons out there somwhere...

As far as hair length goes, when I had the loons originally, my hair was half way down my back. I went bald around age 35, and have since flitted between a 'number one cut', complete head shave and just letting it go.

A few weeks ago staying with sis-and-brother in law, I stumbled downstairs for the first coffee of the day, and was greeted with "Morning Gandalf"... Right, time to do some work on that then.

To be honest, I don't really want to stop wearing jeans. I love jeans, am hugely brand loyal - Levis - but the price here has me quaking now.

What would be a reasonable price where you are for a pair of Levi 511/521 (boot cut, I think, but whatever slight flare that will mask my ankle weights - I'm trying to build up my leg strength) either in black or dark blue?

I will likely scare the crap out of you when I give you the retail prices over here.

Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:43 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The Jackson 5 absolutely do not deserve to be brought down to that level.... The J5 had a bunch of classics that stood in their own right not just "not bad for them"
Yet another from the man.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:49 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Shard
The next 20 will go by in half a blink ! Be warned
Never a truer phase spoken/written! Be doubly warned, y'all...
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:05 pm
Gloves off

Yesterday I went trawling through the Wikipedia list of UK number 1's for my birthday anniversary months, and ended up cringing.

Apart from the 60's - when I was mostly not yet of an age to really appreciate music - the number 1's were to my mind utter crap. My sixties anniversaries were dominated by the Beatles... No wonder that I got into albums at age 15 or so... Yet to revisit the 90's number 1's.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Yesterday I went trawling through the Wikipedia list of UK number 1's for my birthday anniversary months, and ended up cringing.

Apart from the 60's - when I was mostly not yet of an age to really appreciate music - the number 1's were to my mind utter crap. My sixties anniversaries were dominated by the Beatles... No wonder that I got into albums at age 15 or so... Yet to revisit the 90's number 1's.
My 16th was marked by the Bee Gees.

Tragedy.

Bloody right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.