Teatime Choices

Old May 13th 2020, 6:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by caretaker
A little can of tomato paste will sort that for you. I made burbot chowder often when I lived at the lake, and found using the paste gave me the same feel as "Manhattan style* as opposed to "Boston style".
Make the seafood broth and then add the paste? I may have paste somewhere .
Old May 13th 2020, 6:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Make the seafood broth and then add the paste? I may have paste somewhere .
That's right. Iirc I discovered this when I was out of milk. Have you had Campbell's Manhattan Style Clam Chowder? That's what the taste and texture reminded me of. On the other hand, you'll no doubt have good success with any other tomatoes (the recipes I see use all kinds).
Old May 15th 2020, 5:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I had steak and mashed potatoes with gravy and peas. One steak left!
Old May 31st 2020, 7:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Roast Turkey breast (one of those 'just breast' ones) Mash (spud and carrots) stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce and gravy.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Roast Turkey breast (one of those 'just breast' ones) Mash (spud and carrots) stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce and gravy.
That sounds great! The classic combination; gravy soaking in here, butter melting on top of there.
Old May 31st 2020, 9:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds great! The classic combination; gravy soaking in here, butter melting on top of there.
I think they are criminally underrated.

It's not quite as good as the real thing, even though it's real - once cooked you get to see it's breast held together by the hairnet. Extra seasoning, herbs or whatever is good and it's important to have other flavours like sausage-met stuffing, otherwise it will be too bland.

You probably need to enhance the gravy too. But if you can buy one a few $$ off it's good value...no bones, no difficult to eat bits and the leftovers make great sandwiches.
Old May 31st 2020, 9:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I think they are criminally underrated.

It's not quite as good as the real thing, even though it's real - once cooked you get to see it's breast held together by the hairnet. Extra seasoning, herbs or whatever is good and it's important to have other flavours like sausage-met stuffing, otherwise it will be too bland.
You probably need to enhance the gravy too. But if you can buy one a few $$ off it's good value...no bones, no difficult to eat bits and the leftovers make great sandwiches.
You could skip the turkey altogether too, and it isn't hard to make gravy. Hot stuffing and rich gravy, steaming green beans with butter and salt and pepper, fluffy potatoes... Turkeys are the Dolly Partons of the flightless bird world, and when they're $1/lb you could almost buy one just for the breast and legs and throw the carcass out. I had good success brining and smoking turkeys a couple of times, but it's just too much meat, even when I gave half the breast away.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 12:48 pm
Oscar nominated

You could skip the turkey altogether too, and it isn't hard to make gravy. Hot stuffing and rich gravy, steaming green beans with butter and salt and pepper, fluffy potatoes... Turkeys are the Dolly Partons of the flightless bird world, and when they're $1/lb you could almost buy one just for the breast and legs and throw the carcass out. I had good success brining and smoking turkeys a couple of times, but it's just too much meat, even when I gave half the breast away.
Very true. Many years ago it was 'the meal' I liked, not necessarily the turkey. Similar to roast beef before I discovered the good way to cook it.
But even when the meat doesn't turn out good, you still get a better gravy from it.

I once tried the brining method. Worst turkey I ever did. I followed a recipe to the letter - unusual for me - but it was awful.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 10:21 pm
Oscar nominated

The steak was fantastic
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Sunday I had Duck leg confit and today Merguez sausage with mash and a leek & cheese mix.

Sausages, duck and pre-chopped leeks courtesy of IGA food delivery.

Best. Duck. Ever.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm going to have chicken tacos, right after Jeopardy!
Old Jun 16th 2020, 4:48 am
`

Best. Duck. Ever.

Old Jun 16th 2020, 4:50 am
`

This was a venison game pie I made a while ago. I was rather pleased with it so I took a pic and then forgot.

Old Jun 16th 2020, 4:55 am
`

--- & this is what we had for a 25th anniversary tea. Salad and fresh bread and a few other bits and bobs around the edges. They were a bit pricey truth be told but it was cheaper than eating out even if anywhere had been open. I couldn't steam them so had to do the quick boil and simmer. Ums - they were pre-frozen at Guytons so they didn't go into the pot protesting.

Inspired by Leslie and Caretaker I did actually crunch and boil down the leftovers to make a stock which I have frozen for another day.

Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

My 4th of July meal, chili and tortillas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.