Groceries

Old May 25th 2020, 2:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sssshhhhh...you'll wake those people who are convinced I spend my time making 17 trips over dozens of hours a week saving 5c here and 20c there, poor souls
Are there really people who do that?! Fork them and the horse they rode in on. Some people have nothing better to do than make up stories about others, you're very charitable in calling them poor souls, I call them sad bastards
Old May 25th 2020, 2:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Are there really people who do that?!
I exaggerate a little and, to be fair, not for some time, but yes.

Maybe they've got wiser now.
Old May 25th 2020, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Js doesn't seem to be able to get the deals generally available here. A previous list for $65 would have cost me $45.

This list I reckon $70 for me (assuming it's frozen chicken breast) and then the Basmati. I buy a 4.5kg bag for $14 (other brands are available for less) so $84 if it's a big bag.
I'm quite surprised that food prices in Australia, at least in my part of it, are lower or equivalent to those in Canada. I'm so used to hearing people here complain about the price of food, and about how Oz is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, that I guess some of that infiltrated my brain. Another good reason to roam far and wide on BE, you get the real story
That certainly seems to be the case, in Vancouver at least. Bristol's hood seems to offer more opportunity to shop around and get the deals.

Yes we don't seem to get the same deals they get back east, food has always been expensive in BC and a real shock when I first moved here and was spending over double the money and getting less groceries vs California, but I was making the same wage but in CAD$, so I was like wtf, I have to pay more for nearly everything, but I don't have anymore money, kind of messed up really in a way.

I think that is one reason I never adapted well to Canada, I took a huge quality of life hit moving here, and seeing what I could have had if I stayed in the US, makes even harder.

Old May 25th 2020, 12:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I like this new shopping service in Western Australia. It's free and I like the way the eligibility criteria includes people who are anxious about going shopping right now. It's new so people can only order by phone at the moment, but they're getting online shopping up and running soon.

They shop from Woolworths and Coles, the two major supermarkets here, plus from Foodbank and the service's own store of essential items. They always have good specials! Also, if people need food but can't afford to pay for it they may be eligible for free essential food packages.

https://www.cahoots.org.au/cahootsconnects/

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 25th 2020 at 1:01 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 1:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I like this new shopping service in Western Australia. It's free and I like the way the eligibility criteria includes people who are anxious about going shopping right now. It's new so people can only order by phone at the moment, but they're getting online shopping up and running soon.
That's a really helpful service. Wish we had that here in some way.
I can order groceries online but the delivery is between $12/$9 a go . I will admit to having become a bit concerned about shopping in the supermarkets because some folks just do not follow the rules and guidelines. Even our little village shop is a bit challenging . Also I am somewhat blind to one side so quite easy for me to unwittingly bump into someone if they come up too close & I am focussed on what I am doing in the shop . It happens. Lamp posts have been known to jump out at me.
Old May 25th 2020, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They shop from Woolworths and Coles, the two major supermarkets here, plus from Foodbank and the service's own store of essential items. They always have good specials! Also, if people need food but can't afford to pay for it they may be eligible for free essential food packages.

https://www.cahoots.org.au/cahootsconnects/
That is a good idea. We have delivery of groceries, but there is a fee + tip involved generally.

Old May 28th 2020, 3:31 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nice things in the new No Frills flyer West, and I see the Atlantic stores are getting some of the offers we had last week. It's hard to beat a good $2 sale!
No Frills Flyer | Coupons
Old May 28th 2020, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
There are some nice things in the new No Frills flyer West, and I see the Atlantic stores are getting some of the offers we had last week. It's hard to beat a good $2 sale!
No Frills Flyer | Coupons
If they have the sale items in stock...ha ha

It's too bad they don't offer curbside pick up.
Old May 28th 2020, 6:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If they have the sale items in stock...ha ha
It's too bad they don't offer curbside pick up.
Out of stock flyer items has always been a problem at my No Frills too, but lately it hasn't been as bad. What I have to watch most is not letting produce go bad, but I think I'm getting a little better at that. I've been going into the stores to shop, just not as many and not as often. I've gotten used to (mostly) standing in line to get in, and standing in line for the cashier. The ritual of parking, putting on my mask, getting out of the van, hand sanitizer from my pocket, shopping then on the way out using sanitizer again before getting in the van to leave and removing the mask. What I get frustrated at is people who don't make room, but I'll have to learn to calm down. At least they can't see my expression under the mask!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!

Had a delivery from IGA today. They were advertising Rib Eye steaks, approx 300g size, $7 each. This was much less than usual but even @ $10.99 lb much more than I'd usually pay. But I know Rib Eye is very good for steak so I ordered four, allowing for the possibility that they might turn out to be 200g each and three then might not be enough.

So I was expecting about $29 worth. If there was too much I could use some in separate steak sandwiches, stroganoff or whatever.

They are just over 400g instead and $40 worth! They've each got a large white inedible bit and I don't think it's worth keeping any of it back.

At least they're not full price. According to the receipt that would have been $100
Old Jun 8th 2020, 9:31 am
Oscar nominated

I'm really liking the online shopping at IGA so much that I have switched from using Instacart twice a week to IGA for the first shop of the week and then Instacart (Walmart or Wholesale (not) club) for the other. Superstore barely gets a look in now.

There are three things to like about IGA. They have stuff the other supermarkets here don't have, there's no surcharge for 'heavy' items and best of all, the flyer prices are mostly available online.

So just as under normal circumstances I can shop in my usual supermarkets and save more than the cost of the taxi, I can shop online with IGA and save more than the putting together/delivery fee. My receipt today shows a saving just short of $40 and my cost was just under $90. That's 30% off and contrasts sharply with Instacart where not only are flyer prices rare, the normal prices are a little bit more than in-store.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, you will never know how truly jealous I am of your IGA. The only problem is that since you told me about your one in Dieppe...I looked it up...and they send me the flyers...and now I get crosser and crosser
Old Jun 8th 2020, 7:22 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!

Had a delivery from IGA today. They were advertising Rib Eye steaks, approx 300g size, $7 each. This was much less than usual but even @ $10.99 lb much more than I'd usually pay. But I know Rib Eye is very good for steak so I ordered four, allowing for the possibility that they might turn out to be 200g each and three then might not be enough.

So I was expecting about $29 worth. If there was too much I could use some in separate steak sandwiches, stroganoff or whatever.

They are just over 400g instead and $40 worth! They've each got a large white inedible bit and I don't think it's worth keeping any of it back.

At least they're not full price. According to the receipt that would have been $100
I've been in a bit of a ribeye phase of late. Typical prices are £4.50-5.90 for a 225g piece.

Old Jun 9th 2020, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've been in a bit of a ribeye phase of late. Typical prices are £4.50-5.90 for a 225g piece.
err-indoors has got back on the, "don't consume seared animal flesh." That kind of sentiment is not a good look on her tbh, I'm all like, I'm going to celebrate that braised rabbit cacciatore.

I realize that I sound like a carnivorous and slightly even more deranged version of Jedward.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 9th 2020 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

I went into an IGA once here in Vancouver, walked around and then left, the prices were insanity, never went back. Nice looking store though.

I think they are mostly independently owned and operated? So probably varies a lot store to store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.