Groceries

Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:00 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Whoever is handling the produce at Giant Tiger has been bunching 4 avocados per bag and pricing it at $1.50 because they think they are too old, but they're perfect, maybe for the next 3 or 4 days. I had to throw a couple out last time because I wasn't fast enough, but I can only eat so much avocado. I had guacamole the last 2 days, and now I have another 4 avocados. They're good in a ham or chicken sandwich with tomato and onion (Mexican food carts are great!) so I'll maybe get some buns and some more ham, but what are some other things to make with them?
Avocado on toast ! Avocado bacon sandwich. Salad with avocado (and bacon). Japanese avocado rolls (sushi). Or add to a super green (spinach) smoothie.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Whoever is handling the produce at Giant Tiger has been bunching 4 avocados per bag and pricing it at $1.50 because they think they are too old, but they're perfect, maybe for the next 3 or 4 days. I had to throw a couple out last time because I wasn't fast enough, but I can only eat so much avocado. I had guacamole the last 2 days, and now I have another 4 avocados. They're good in a ham or chicken sandwich with tomato and onion (Mexican food carts are great!) so I'll maybe get some buns and some more ham, but what are some other things to make with them?
Go retro Make a 'seafood / avocado dressing with mayo, tomato ketchup, worcestershire sauce, a squeeze of lemon and a grating of black pepper - maybe a little horsradish - or a dash of peri peri or similar - and fill the well in the avo's with it - then place some shrimp in the well on top and have a shrimp and avo starter (works with any seafood)

You might like some of these too.40 things to do with Avo's. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/everyday-...th-frico-chips

I used to love tuna tartar, avocado, tuna, sesame oil / seeds, wasabe

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 17th 2020 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were doing instacart nearly every person ordered at least one avocado it seemed. ha ha

I've never been a fan. San Diego region has a fair amount of farms that grow them, in cold winters they have to put smoke stacks in the groves to keep frost from forming.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Where do you grow sufficient vegetables to live on when you live in a tiny apartment on a busy street?
Not suggesting you could grow enough to live on but I do wonder if anyone has tried one of the indoor uv systems? I am sometimes ( in feb/mar?) tempted.

re avocados I am sufficiently far from being a millennial to be able to enjoy avocado toast without worrying about my house deposit.

gen z daughter and her friend enjoy them cut in half with salt, pepper, and a spoon.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Jun 17th 2020 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 8:36 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When we were doing instacart nearly every person ordered at least one avocado it seemed. ha ha

I've never been a fan. San Diego region has a fair amount of farms that grow them, in cold winters they have to put smoke stacks in the groves to keep frost from forming.
You've never been a fan of avocados ?!?! I didn't try them until maybe my 20s (always refused to) but once I did I really got in to them.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You've never been a fan of avocados ?!?! I didn't try them until maybe my 20s (always refused to) but once I did I really got in to them.
Just never liked the texture or taste of them in any form. They were very common growing up, so it wasn't a lack of never trying them for me, avocado in some form is very common in So. California. I can tolerate them, just not a food I would say I enjoy.

Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Not suggesting you could grow enough to live on but I do wonder if anyone has tried one of the indoor uv systems? I am sometimes ( in feb/mar?) tempted.
My husband tries to buy me one every winter...but I’m not sure that I’d know what to do with it? Last winter, which left three weeks ago, I really didn’t want my pots of herbs to die, the Rosemary and Parsley made it all the way through to Spring, in bigs pots in the sitting room window. This year I have bought one of those ‘raised bed’ deep planters to try some vegetables - we have such a very short season though and it presently ‘feels’ like 38 and we have an extreme heat warning. It isn’t ideal going from frozen to oven conditions.

I love an avocado, I most often just halve it and stick a good oil and vinegar in the hole...yum...
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was a weird one today. MIL shopped Walmart via instacart today. Higher spend than usual mostly because it included a load of stuff for her cat
I still haven't figured out how Instacart makes its money..ha ha
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Probably all those smaller things that they charge $4.99 for when in store it's $2.99
We don't usually get the store receipt - I imagine the shopper is discouraged from passing it on since the customer can then see how much less the item ws in store compared to what they paid to Instacart.

But today it was in one of the bags. The store receipt for all the items bought, including taxes, showed a cost of $153.92.
Our receipt, the amount MIL actually paid, minus the tip and service charge, was $145.91.

Even allowing the service charge going to instacart they are still short by around $5. I'm assuming the $153.92 is charged to Instacart, as opposed to the shopper paying it and then only getting $145 back plus the tip. Js?

Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Well that was a weird one today. MIL shopped Walmart via instacart today. Higher spend than usual mostly because it included a load of stuff for her cat

We don't usually get the store receipt - I imagine the shopper is discouraged from passing it on since the customer can then see how much less the item ws in store compared to what they paid to Instacart.

But today it was in one of the bags. The store receipt for all the items bought, including taxes, showed a cost of $153.92.
Our receipt, the amount MIL actually paid, minus the tip and service charge, was $145.91.

Even allowing the service charge going to instacart they are still short by around $5. I'm assuming the $153.92 is charged to Instacart, as opposed to the shopper paying it and then only getting $145 back plus the tip. Js?

They don't show the shopper doing the pick the total cost of the order, when they offer orders to pick and deliver the app shows the total payment including tip, the estimated distance and how many items and units the order contains. At check out its normal process, everything is scanned and bagged, and use the instacart credit card to pay.

The receipt isn't supposed to be included in the bag though.

Example based on a real order being offered at the moment.

Earnings Estimate:
$10.47 ($8.47 instacart payment + $2 tip)
3 items/42 units
3.5 km distance store to delivery.

It would be nice though is all banks in Canada participated in the instant cash out, our bank doesn't so we only get paid once a week. (CIBC, BMO, TD, Scotia & RBC are the only banks) every credit union and other bank in Canada including subsidiary banks of these can't participate in the instant cash out option which sucks.

Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...At check out its normal process, everything is scanned and bagged, and use the instacart credit card to pay.
So at least in this case the shopper doesn't lose out.
The receipt isn't supposed to be included in the bag though.
Thought not.

So all things being equal, if there was a a small order - half a dozen items - costing about $70 and a $10 tip and a bigger or fiddly order but only $5 tip you wouldn't necessarily know that one might be more advantageous to you than the other.

And you don't see who an order is for and instantly remember they are a good tipper?

Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:40 am
Account Closed

So at least in this case the shopper doesn't lose out.

Thought not.

So all things being equal, if there was a a small order - half a dozen items - costing about $70 and a $10 tip and a bigger or fiddly order but only $5 tip you wouldn't necessarily know that one might be more advantageous to you than the other.

And you don't see who an order is for and instantly remember they are a good tipper?
Don't get to see who the order is for until you accept, and don't get the final address until done and swipe ready to deliver. At the offer screen they provide very basic info, total distance to drive, how many items/units, the store name and location, the map will show you a rough area of where the delivery is. Once you accept they give you the products to buy and name of the person, but before accepting you have very basic info once done shopping and paid for you get the delivery address and instructions.

We tend to take the orders that have the best guaranteed pay, the amount instacart pays, even if there is one with a bigger tip and at least in Vancouver are semi common for people to offer a big tip to get better speed, and then change it, so rather take the guaranteed pay and lower tip, but for the most part people tip very little, most orders are $0-$3 range which is probably why instacart has to offer relatively decent guarantees, often it averages to about $1 per item picked on bigger orders.

The stores are not currently restricting how many can go in at once like they were, but when they were Super Store would let Instacart shoppers skip the line, Wal-Mart does as well now but they changed that policy last week, but our local store has no line anymore.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 18th 2020 at 11:49 am.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 1:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Is Ocado coming to Canada ? https://ca.indeed.com/UK-jobs-in-Quebec-Province
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Went to Wal-Mart today, they pulled out 6 cashier lanes and putting in more self check out's, and only had 1 actual lane open with a cashier, seems they are going fully self check out from the looks of it. Canadian Tire we go to already has a year or 2 back, everyone self check outs now.

I like self check out as its generally faster, but the loss of more low skill jobs is never good.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 8:52 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They came to my house last night (finally) and the guy didn't even wear a mask !
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 8:56 pm
me/moi

Went to Wal-Mart today, they pulled out 6 cashier lanes and putting in more self check out's, and only had 1 actual lane open with a cashier, seems they are going fully self check out from the looks of it. Canadian Tire we go to already has a year or 2 back, everyone self check outs now.

I like self check out as its generally faster, but the loss of more low skill jobs is never good.
Yeah, they're all going to go aren't they. To be honest, I'm surprised the transition is taking this long. It must 20 years since self checkouts were first introduced.

UBI. Yang is spot on about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.