Groceries

Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This made me laugh - I could officially retire and whilst I like Ryvita, Bovril and also golden syrup (but only for flapjacks or steamed sponge pudding), I love foreign food and I eat garlic every day Talk about social profiling!
It was all in good fun I like golden syrup on toast or a bagel. Not big on Ryvita or Bovril.

Now if only Ribena or Robinson's Barley Water was cheaper.

https://abitofhome.ca/cordials-squas...ter-850ml.html
Old Apr 8th 2020, 4:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It was all in good fun I like golden syrup on toast or a bagel. Not big on Ryvita or Bovril.

Now if only Ribena or Robinson's Barley Water was cheaper.

https://abitofhome.ca/cordials-squas...ter-850ml.html
I can't help you on Barley Water (although Amazon sell it in 2 packs 850ml each) Walmart sell Ribena, as do Food Basics .. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ribena/N-1002084
Old Apr 12th 2020, 3:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's been 13 days now since going to the grocery store, and my shopping list just keeps getting longer, so I may have to cross a few things out. Or not, the old quartermaster gene dictates that I need to buy corn starch and olive oil and kitchen trash bags before I'm on the very verge of running out. Interestingly there's no meat on the list; I still have enough pork and chicken, sausages and shrimp frozen in the fridge for another long stretch, but I will of course pick up any meat of opportunity that I want. I think the list is up around $80 now, but there's no telling what I'll wind up with on shopping day. So far all I've added today is celery, a good one for keeping in the fridge. I wrap it up in foil. I may go to No Frills and Wholesale Club or just No Frills, we'll see.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 10:54 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Lemons/limes go on the shopping list. We had the last show where I work on March 14, and I think we got supplies within the 3 days 12th - 14th, and I took the big bag of lemons and limes home after we closed. I threw out 4 or 5 that went moldy on me, but I'm on the last lime now, and there's 1 lemon left in the bowl. I never would've thought they'd go a month.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 12th 2020 at 10:56 am.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 2:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

At least you won't get scurvy
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that Instacart is working out quite well for grocery delivery. They 'shop' at multiple stores so you can still find the most acceptable price. The express option - where you pay $10 a month and not only save the delivery fee (on orders of $35 or more) but the cheeky 5% service fee becomes 2% - is worth it.

There are certain medical things which have to come from the pharmacy and since Instacart includes Shoppers Drug Mart, I will have a regular order there.

So it's going to be perfectly easy to add 'grocery' items to that order if there's a saving on that price compared to Superstore or Walmart. Not only that, indications so far suggest that Shoppers will often have delivery times available sooner than the other stores, so if you want your eggs or milk a bit quicker, you don't have to wait.

That concludes my plug public service announcement for Instacart.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 9:56 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I went to No Frills and Wholesale Club and between them almost killed my list. Considering I got more of some things than I planned on, even though I didn't get everything I wanted, it worked out well. I spent about $90 which is outrageous for me, but I'm sure I'd spend more going every day or two like I usually do. The little bottles of sesame oil for $2 are diluted sesame and soy, so I bought the 1.65 litre can of real stuff for 13 something, bingo, lifetime supply. After a week I may need to get more bread, but that's a small issue. There were over 20 things on the list, but no meat. I bought a couple of sirloins for $10 anyway, it's been awhile. While shopping I was surprised not to run into any mind readers, because they would clearly have heard me urging them to get the **** out of my way.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 6:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of negatives for Instacart.

They have a heavy items charge. Not sure exactly what's included but it kicks in at a dozen 2L bottles of pop and then rises with each one. It's not really a big deal, but I'll just order more frequently and in smaller amounts. The % service fee will be the same and I don't pay the delivery charge with the express membership so it won't cost more doing it like that.

The really annoying one is that some medical things that do not attract gst/hst (like my test strips) come up in the cart with an "estimated" gst/hst and it exactly matches the rate in this province.

Fortunately this is also avoidable as when I phone to arrange prescription delivery, I ask the pharmacy to include them and I pay that way.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 4:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Himself did a top up grocery and household items run for us both.
How salami , chocolate & pineapple chunks got on the list I simply do not know. These are not items I eat and I think the cat would turn its nose up too.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:24 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BEVS
How salami , chocolate & pineapple chunks got on the list I simply do not know. These are not items I eat and I think the cat would turn its nose up too.
Salami and pineapple pizza.
My co-worker just drove up and I walked out in my pyjamas, wiped a 20 pack of disposable masks off with a Lysol wipe and dropped them through her passenger window. She gave me a surprise; a 2lb vacuum sealed pack of beef brisket, a big ring of kobasa from the Grayson locker plant, 3 cans of Campbell's bean and bacon soup and 5 lbs of potatoes. I knew she was bringing the brisket (said no way she'd eat all she had before it would get freezer burned) but all the other stuff was unexpected.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:01 am
Oscar nominated

...Instacart...They have a heavy items charge. Not sure exactly what's included but it kicks in at a dozen 2L bottles of pop and then rises with each one.
I experimented and added to the cart enough litres of milk to exceed the weight of the 12 bottles of Pop that attracts the heavy items charge.

There was no heavy items charge for milk. A cow might be good value.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Salami and pineapple pizza.
My co-worker just drove up and I walked out in my pyjamas, wiped a 20 pack of disposable masks off with a Lysol wipe and dropped them through her passenger window. She gave me a surprise; a 2lb vacuum sealed pack of beef brisket, a big ring of kobasa from the Grayson locker plant, 3 cans of Campbell's bean and bacon soup and 5 lbs of potatoes. I knew she was bringing the brisket (said no way she'd eat all she had before it would get freezer burned) but all the other stuff was unexpected.

Is Kobasa like Kielbaska? I would use the brisket to make pot roast with veggies and mashed potatoes. The soup would go to my hubby. I don't care for bean soup. Enjoy your treasures.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

I love Genoa or hard salami. In fact, just bought some yesterday. Also love chocolate and pineapple. Would make a pineapple upside down cake. The chocolate would go in the frig were I could steal a piece now and then.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:44 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rete
Is Kobasa like Kielbaska? I would use the brisket to make pot roast with veggies and mashed potatoes. The soup would go to my hubby. I don't care for bean soup. Enjoy your treasures.
Ukrainian equivalent of the Polish kielbasa. Because we have a large ethnic Ukrainian population here we use their term. While it may not be universal, it's what they call it here.
Here's where I buy mine: https://ukrainiancoop.ca/

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 21st 2020 at 5:48 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who has access to Metro group and is over 70 - or has Covid-19 or in mandatory quarantine - or has limited mobility - Metro now have a Priority Service https://www.metro.ca/en/mpriority

The M Priority service is currently available from 135 Metro stores in Quebec and will roll out soon in 20 more stores in the province. By the end of next week, it will be available from 97 Metro stores in Ontario. The service is also currently available from 14 Adonis grocery stores in Ontario and Quebec; it will be in 40 Super C stores in Quebec starting this Friday.
Apparently Walmart are also going to trial a similar service, as are Loblaws

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 22nd 2020 at 10:54 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.