British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Teatime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/teatime-choices-726714/)

Alan2005 Jul 28th 2011 11:34 pm

Teatime Choices

Well, due to Oinks thread, everyone knows what people have for lunch. But what about tea?

This evening I'll be having toad in the hole with sausages that claim to be 'english' style. From past experience these aren't perfect but they've made a decent stab of it.

Almost Canadian Jul 28th 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Teatime Choices

I am told I have bacon in the fridge which will be placed in a French stick and lashings of sauce.

Which reminds me: what am I still doing at work ...

Greenhill Jul 28th 2011 11:39 pm

Does anyone here do a proper teatime?

My nan used to serve a 4pm (prompt) teatime:
  • Table with jigsaw puzzle in progress
  • Table cloth over jigsaw puzzle
  • Pot of tea
  • Choice of:-
  • Sandwiches
  • Savoury pie (e.g. ham and egg)
  • Pork pie
  • Rhubarb pie with porcelain penguin
  • Cake
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • All the stuff I forget, but you get the idea

Oakvillian Jul 28th 2011 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9525406)
Well, due to Oinks thread, everyone knows what people have for lunch. But what about tea?

This evening I'll be having toad in the hole with sausages that claim to be 'english' style. From past experience these aren't perfect but they've made a decent stab of it.

Well, I'm a stuck-up upper-middle-class Southerner, so for tea I'll probably have a cup of tea and maybe a biscuit, if there are any in the house. Or possibly a cucumber sandwich or two (with the crusts cut off, of course).

Toad in the hole sounds like a lovely idea for supper, though, if that's what you meant to ask :p. There's a farmer's market hereabouts where there's a butcher who makes really excellent English-style sausages. We have some in the freezer. Mmmmm.

Alan2005 Jul 29th 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 9525418)
Well, I'm a stuck-up upper-middle-class Southerner, so for tea I'll probably have a cup of tea and maybe a biscuit, if there are any in the house. Or possibly a cucumber sandwich or two (with the crusts cut off, of course).

Toad in the hole sounds like a lovely idea for supper, though, if that's what you meant to ask :p. There's a farmer's market hereabouts where there's a butcher who makes really excellent English-style sausages. We have some in the freezer. Mmmmm.

A month or two ago I made proper cucumber sandwiches. They are a right pain in the arse; pealing the cucumber and salting it for hours beforehand. I did quite enjoy eating them, but I must confess to going all american and putting cream cheese on one or two.

AmyDavid Jul 29th 2011 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9525406)

Yum - that is my all time fave dish - though now in Canada I only eat the hole - the toad really doesn't do it for me.

Oakvillian Jul 29th 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9525436)
A month or two ago I made proper cucumber sandwiches. They are a right pain in the arse; pealing the cucumber and salting it for hours beforehand. I did quite enjoy eating them, but I must confess to going all american and putting cream cheese on one or two.

you can get away without salting it if you spread the butter thick enough so the bread doesn't go soggy... and a soupçon of marmite works wonders too.

My son has just introduced me to the delights of cream cheese and peanut butter sandwiches - where he learned I don't know, as peanuts are absolutely verboten in school (but that's a different thread...). Should I be worried that I find these really good?

Atlantic Xpat Jul 29th 2011 1:33 am

At the weekend I cooked Sausage Casserole using a "Colemans sauce mix" that we bought back from Blighty & Loblaws erzatz British Bangers. It was passable enough. Toad in the Hole is a good thought though.

This evening I had Chilli courtesy of the Mrs.

Piff Poff Jul 29th 2011 3:38 am

We had (costco) Italian sausage, egg, southwest hash browns and fried mushrooms. Yum.

Tuppence Jul 29th 2011 4:09 am

Having just reached 6 weeks without a kitchen (house reno), I ended up with Timmies Brocolli soup and a wholewheat roll tonight. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to being able to steam some real veg or stick something in the oven.

3 more weeks to go :thumbdown:

Oink Jul 29th 2011 10:05 pm

In the summer I usually have flexible light tea. Something along the lines of egg and salad or beans on toast. When the colder temperatures set in, I like sausages and chips or maybe some shepherds pie. Unless I have guests, I always listen to Radio Four's Six O'clock News on iplayer followed by a podcast of The Archers while having my tea.

kirstybowles Jul 29th 2011 10:21 pm

we had KFC nice ,:D

But yesterdays was nicer we had chicken (again) lol roasties, veg and giant yorkshire puds made with my own fair hands mmmm x

mandymoochops Jul 30th 2011 12:34 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9525438)
Yum - that is my all time fave dish - though now in Canada I only eat the hole - the toad really doesn't do it for me.

I think thats just because you're in a long term relationship though Ames, happens to us all ................

Oink Jul 30th 2011 12:59 am

Tonight we're going out for our tea. :thumbup:

ann m Jul 30th 2011 1:47 am

I'm too tired. I had a bowl of Frosties. :o