Some updates.

Old Sep 26th 2018, 8:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

J, in many years on here your mental illness has never come across in your writing, i.e. your posts have almost always been considered and coherent and ordered.

Perhaps you should recognise that, even though you think you can't function normally, you are able to express yourself in writing more than normally. For someone who belittles their education your English composition is excellent - spelling, grammar, comprehension... you should celebrate how well you can communicate so effectively. Perhaps consider writing an article for a mental health charity?
Old Sep 27th 2018, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am better at expressing myself via writing vs verbal. I usually write doctors letters as its the only way I can convey what I want in a way that will be understood.

Looking at various places around the province and rentals are scarce everywhere it seems and rent not really affordable.

The stress is getting to me. My acid reflux and skin problem gets worse under stress, and boy are both ever flaring up.

A big part of the stress is rental rates and difficulty to impossible to find something we can comfortably afford.

The housing issue really causes stress.

If only we were the liked ones of the family.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got another 1 year lease where you are?? If not, can you get about and see if you can get a cheaper place and give your notice??

There are some cheaper apartments around the city, and most are on or near transit routes. I told you earlier this year about one area, I've since seen other apartments being advertised for less than you are paying in other areas on the south side of the city.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 5:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We are on month to month now well starting Oct 1 we will. Lease expires Sept 30th and the developer has opted to allow it to go month to month.

We look just have not found anything yet.

I check craigslist daily as well as other resources for rentals.

Not much out there in a price range that we can truly afford.

Gets worse by the year, realitically we are likely SOL unless we get into BC Housing sunsidized unit..

Originally Posted by scilly
Have you got another 1 year lease where you are?? If not, can you get about and see if you can get a cheaper place and give your notice??

There are some cheaper apartments around the city, and most are on or near transit routes. I told you earlier this year about one area, I've since seen other apartments being advertised for less than you are paying in other areas on the south side of the city.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 27th 2018 at 7:18 am.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am better at expressing myself via writing vs verbal.
Me too. I've just been emailing BellAliant to negotiate a reduction in the monthly bill as my 3 year discount is up and they kept saying to phone. Negotiating verbally is just "not me" and I insisted email was my wish and that they should respect that.

They relented and I got my discount.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Me too. I've just been emailing BellAliant to negotiate a reduction in the monthly bill as my 3 year discount is up and they kept saying to phone. Negotiating verbally is just "not me" and I insisted email was my wish and that they should respect that.

They relented and I got my discount.
I hate places that wont deal with things via email or live chat, its 2018 a phone call should not be necessary....Not to mention some of these companies keep cutting back their call center and can have 1+ hour waits. The company our alarm system was through sold to Telus, and we tried calling a couple days ago after over an hour on hold, gave up, that is piss poor service.

Shaw Cable isn't much better anymore.

With Shaw though if you "accidentally" press French or your a new customer, you tend to get to a human quicker vs selecting current customer. Doesn't work for tech support though.

I really think somewhere in So,. WA or Northern Oregon is where we will end up at some point, pending my wife's ability to immigrate, really will be in the hands of the US Gov't as to that, but not really any other options in BC, I really have no desire to live in middle of nowhere BC up north, which seems about the only option at this point, if we have to move up north, may as well move South if doable and live in a reasonably large metro area.

Portland Metro area which is Vancouver, WA falls under is 2,453,168 so pretty decent size with decent amenities in the region.

And cheaper flights back home, which is a plus.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 27th 2018 at 7:02 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Eliminate the ones that aren't pet friendly and there will be substantially fewer to choose from. I think that holds true in every city.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Eliminate the ones that aren't pet friendly and there will be substantially fewer to choose from. I think that holds true in every city.
Indeed and no we cant give up Charlee she is a great help to our overall wellbeing.

Vancouver well BC in general is very anti pet. Flip side Vancouver, WA there are tons of rentals that are pet friendly.

But they like most US citys have lots of dedicated rental buildings which for whatever reason BC lacks.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The first area that I told J about earlier this year seems to have a majority of apartments that are pet friendly, judging by the huge number of dogs I see being walked (plus the occasional cat!) ..... not to mention what they leave behind

Some dogs are large so there must be some that don't limit the size.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of the dark days of my last few years as a landlord before I sold the duplex.

I had no problem with pets. Suddenly discovering snakes upstairs took me by surprise
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

This reminds me of the dark days of my last few years as a landlord before I sold the duplex.

I had no problem with pets. Suddenly discovering snakes upstairs took me by surprise

Reptiles make good pets. Quiet. Dont damage anything. Pretty perfect pet overall.

We do look at the south side, have come across a few for rent signs but they were not pet friendly.

Biggest problem with moving is in this market you dont want to risk giving notice without securing a rental.

However say Nov 1 move would need to give notice by Sept 30th.

Most landlords wont know until last day of Sept what rentals they may have Nov 1st.

Find a rental in October for Nov 1 need to then have the funds to pay rent in 2 places plus deposits on the new place plus cost of a Uhaul and other misc costs like a possible hotel (not cheap in Vancouver) as generally you need to be out of current rental by 1pm on the last day of the month and generally cant access new unti until first day of the month.

If a strata there are usually move in and move out fees. Our current building is $200 move out fee. (Move in fee is the same) such fees are money makers for stratas with a good % of rentals.

Moving isnt all that simple and does require funds.

And there is the whole disability thing. The ministry wants a lot of info about the landlord and a lot of landlords simply do not want to deal with the ministry and while illegal to refuse a tenant on the basis of disability landlords in this market can easily as there will likely be other tenants who have better employmemt and income or such.

Unless the landlord says Not renting to you because your in disability there is no way to prove but experience has been its not easy to find housing when on disability.

We are doing what we can with what we have.

We found a good place on the south end of granville before we found our current place, rent was 1150 a month, pet friendly and like 800sq feet. It was a 60s or 70s era building. I was even working then.

We did apply but there were like 30 others also applying at the open house and obviously were not chosen.

Lower the rent the more the competition and less options.

Not as simple as giving notice and moving.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 27th 2018 at 11:03 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

Reptiles make good pets. Quiet. Dont damage anything. Pretty perfect pet overall..
She was a breeder.
Imagine the potential knock on effect for other tenants though. "Snakes? ...er...I'm looking at other places."

She had an Iguana too. Something she had was exceedingly messy.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

She had an Iguana too.(
The old People's Guide to Mexico said they taste like chicken.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:41 am
Account Closed

The old People's Guide to Mexico said they taste like chicken.
People say the same about rattle snake, wonder if its true, never had the desire to eat either though.

Yes there are exceptions to reptiles and pets, an iguana can reach nearly 6 feet in length including tail, and reach 8lb, males tend to be larger and bulkier.

I had a green iguana growing up, it was pretty laid back, lived in an outdoor enclosure with a heated dog house for winter, could live outside year round with a heated area to retreat to. (not in Canada obviously outdoors in winter here would kill one.)

I realized today my entire head is either gray or nearly gray, no real color anymore, makes my eye brows look bright red now....lol...Had not noticed I was so gray. Still have hair, its thinning but doing better compared to photos of my dad at 40, but I expect it will get as thin as his.

Why does hair fall out where you want it to be, and grow where you don't, weird weird thing human body does sometimes.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

People say the same about rattle snake, wonder if its true, never had the desire to eat either though.
Iirc the book also said whatever you do, don't just buy one and try to clean it yourself, get a kid to do it for $5. I can just imagine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.