Some updates.

Old Aug 28th 2018, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

We are thinking of moving to Vancouver, WA at some point in the next 2 years.

Its a nice little city and close to Portland so 2 areas to look for jobs.

Rent is lower by a good chunk to this Vancouver.

Even if we end up paying healthcare self pay (vs employer sponsored) the monthly estimated cost for premiums and co pays is still considerably less then just rent currently.

Looking at pay in the area looks like I could make 14 to 16 per hour there which is not much lower vs now where I would make min wage to 15 or so.

Checked my credit score in the US today and for having nothing on it and no credit there for 14 years, my score is pretty good. Would just need to get a secured card to build history.

Biggest hurdle is saving the necessary funds to relocate and pay immigration fees.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was not all too sure about getting housing in Vancouver, WA without a job first and without credit history in the US (been 14 years since I last had credit there) but we called a few apartment places today, and they said no problem, they often have people moving from BC down that way and in the same boat, they just require a larger deposit equal to 1 months rent vs their usual $200 deposit, so seems housing would not be an issue, get a way nicer apartment and amenities there for a lot less, such a swimming pool and hot tub, don't see pools really in Vancouver condos/apartments.

Pay rates I am seeing are pretty much on par with pay rates in this Vancouver.

Have to look into how immigration stuff would work for my wife, its not issue for me, I can just cross, but obviously she would not be able to.

I think I would be happier, I think part how I feel is simply not liking where I am living, and depression episodes being very situational.

Looking at the community college there, there is a decent selection of vocational programs I could get into.

EMT for example, I started that program in California before moving to Canada, got an A in it as well, just moved to Canada before I could finish.

EMT's don't make a ton of money, but the job is more rewarding and isn't horrible, 30k-40k a year on average, after a year or 2 as an EMT there is also the option of going back to school for paramedic which is a 2 year program, and paramedics start in the low 40k range.

There is also Phlebotomy, pay is mid low to mid 30's on average.

EMT program pre requisites for example, pretty simple.

Be age 18
Have a BLS CPR certification (easy to get)
Drivers license
Hep B vaccine
MMR vaccine
Neg TB
Criminal background check.

Or I could take some course work and try and work towards getting into the Aquarium Sciences program further south in Oregon.

Aquarium Science Program Application - Oregon Coast Community College

Time will tell, but I think we would be better off in the long run.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 12:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...housing in Vancouver, WA..........this Vancouver.
Is it a parallel universe or an alternate one?

That's got to be be pretty weird, that, moving from Vancouver to Vancouver. Still, the alternate universe worked for the Star Trek reboots.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Bringing your wife to the US requires you to sponsor her for a spousal visa, much the same as she had to sponsor you for your Canadian spousal visa. It is a lengthy process (currently 10-12 months). There are multiple steps to the process and you can't just move to the US with her and file for her adjustment of status due to intent to immigrate so you much go through the spousal visa (IR-1) process. It requires police clearance certificates, medicals from a US approved panel physician, and your financial sponsorship.

Not going to go into detail here and now but thought I would just throw this out to you to ponder.

Rete
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is it a parallel universe or an alternate one?

That's got to be be pretty weird, that, moving from Vancouver to Vancouver. Still, the alternate universe worked for the Star Trek reboots.

Simply a coincidence. Lol

Vancouver WA is across the river from Portland so makes sense as it increases odds of a job.

Rent is decent. Housing prices decent.

We want to stay on the west coast but Seattle area is out due to high cost.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

J...following on from Rete’s post...if you want assistance or info on a US visa for your wife the US marriage Visas forum’s regulars will help you...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/marr...ased-visas-35/
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Oh I know. Its going to be a pain and not something that can be done quickly. I would go first and get a job and such and have to go from there.

Its not something that is happening today or next week. Its a longer term goal.

I may not even earn enough so will be looking into that as well, if the income requirements are too high then we may not be able to.

Its all in the thought process at the moment.

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi there

Bringing your wife to the US requires you to sponsor her for a spousal visa, much the same as she had to sponsor you for your Canadian spousal visa. It is a lengthy process (currently 10-12 months). There are multiple steps to the process and you can't just move to the US with her and file for her adjustment of status due to intent to immigrate so you much go through the spousal visa (IR-1) process. It requires police clearance certificates, medicals from a US approved panel physician, and your financial sponsorship.

Not going to go into detail here and now but thought I would just throw this out to you to ponder.

Rete

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 29th 2018 at 1:36 am.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Did you go to the support group?
Old Aug 29th 2018, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Did you go to the support group?
Next week. I had a pre-existing appointment Monday that conflicted.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 8:27 am
Account Closed

When the time comes ill post there.

From what I have read thus far does not seem overly difficult but more steps compared to coming to Canada which was really simple just time consuming as it took like 20 months. Lol

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
J...following on from Rete’s post...if you want assistance or info on a US visa for your wife the US marriage Visas forum’s regulars will help you...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/marr...ased-visas-35/
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read thus far does not seem overly difficult but more steps compared to coming to Canada which was really simple just time consuming as it took like 20 months. Lol
Was much easier 21 years ago when my Canuck came to the US. They still had direct consular filing back then (the US portion was all done at the Montreal and Vancouver US Consulates). Some changes aren't always for the better.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's always fake passports and the like.

Here you go. Just fill in the blanks and add a photo.

The advantage of this one is that it's blurry and rather than admit to failing eyesight, the immigration people will accept it.

$50. To you, $40.

Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Was much easier 21 years ago when my Canuck came to the US. They still had direct consular filing back then (the US portion was all done at the Montreal and Vancouver US Consulates). Some changes aren't always for the better.
Government changes are rarely for the benefit of the tax payer....

I couldn't say how the process for Canada is today, but 14 or so years ago, just required some forms to be filled out, certain documents to prove relationship status, a medical, some background checks from the US, and some other not difficult paperwork, mailed in, and wait. Eventually approval in principal came, then a quick landing appointment, and PR status was granted.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 4:01 am
Account Closed

The doctor appears to have been right, have gone a week now without any pain in my foot, first time since December last year I have gone without pain in the foot.

Guess standing on concrete for hours a day just isn't good for foot health.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 6:21 am
Account Closed

My old company is hiring like crazy, they got a new contract so everything under the sun really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.