Some updates.

Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've checked the MSP website they will cover 10 visits a year up to $23, have to see what the going rate for physiotherapy is. Apparently up until 2002, Physio was covered by MSP like doctors visits, suppose it was a cost cutting move way back when.

The noise is really bugging me, and winter cannot come fast enough so I can keep the patio door and window closed, the traffic is more or less non-stop for 18 hours a day and then a car every 2-3 minutes overnight, plus probably 10-12 cop cars on average per day with sirens blaring, along with a few paramedics and a couple fire trucks.

The commercial spaces below us have been under construction pretty much non-stop since we moved in, first a restaurant, then a medical lab and barber shop, now a dollaramma for 10 weeks, upside is there is only 1 more empty commercial space, so maybe there will be some peace from construction soon, the dollar store is to take 12 weeks, so 11 weeks to go until they are done.

Anytime they do construction below us in those spaces it sounds like they are drilling into our floor, and they can work pretty early, so rude awakening each morning, and after 8 hours of it, becomes very annoying.
Can you get out for a few hours every day? Drive or bus to the ocean/nearby park/mountains with a packed lunch. People/ocean etc watching costs nothing, is incredibly peaceful and calms the brain of 'stuff' - well it does me anyway and it would get you away from the noise and dust etc. Even for an hour or so would be beneficial.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can you get out for a few hours every day? Drive or bus to the ocean/nearby park/mountains with a packed lunch. People/ocean etc watching costs nothing, is incredibly peaceful and calms the brain of 'stuff' - well it does me anyway and it would get you away from the noise and dust etc. Even for an hour or so would be beneficial.
We usually go somewhere for a 1-2 hours during the day most days.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am often amazed how fast my wife can find a job. She applies for 5-10 places last week, several interview, and several job offers. She is more social which I think plays a key part, where I am very introverted and quiet, really hard for me to have general conversations with complete strangers.

Same time frame, I haven't even had a call and I have applied to a solid 3 times more places than she did.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 17th 2018 at 7:31 am.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I am often amazed how fast my wife can find a job. She applies for 5-10 places last week, several interview, and several job offers. She is more social which I think plays a key part, where I am very introverted and quiet, really hard for me to have general conversations with complete strangers.

Same time frame, I haven't even had a call and I have applied to a solid 3 times more places than she did.
I can only think/believe that you don’t present as well as your wife.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Obviously as I said I am very introverted and anxious where she is social and talkative.

Cant change who we are though, an introvert will never be an extrovert and anxiety well if one has it, even with medication high stress situations will bring it on in force.

Its certainly not about the things I can actively control as I dress well for interviews.

Luckily disability assists those with mental health hurdles to employment.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

I can only think/believe that you don’t present as well as your wife.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

I am going to try 3 upgrading classes in January hopefully. If I can manage a B in each then I may be able to get some more education in order to get better job.

If I cannot a manage a B in those 3 classes then I will know I cant go any further.

Ive always been a solid C student so a B in Math, English 12 and Science 12 will be difficult but we shall see next year.

Thats assuming I place high enough on assesment for grade 12 level, I may need to start lower under grade 8 level first.

Basically may need to do high school math english and science over again.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 17th 2018 at 7:46 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try 3 upgrading classes in January hopefully. If I can manage a B in each then I may be able to get some more education in order to get better job.

If I cannot a manage a B in those 3 classes then I will know I cant go any further.

Ive always been a solid C student so a B in Math, English 12 and Science 12 will be difficult but we shall see next year.

Thats assuming I place high enough on assesment for grade 12 level, I may need to start lower under grade 8 level first.

Basically may need to do high school math english and science over again.
If you don't try you won't ever know. Have you got some text books or ebooks? When you go to the beach, mountains and parks, sit and read, some info will disappear into the ether, some will sink into the brain.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you don't try you won't ever know. Have you got some text books or ebooks? When you go to the beach, mountains and parks, sit and read, some info will disappear into the ether, some will sink into the brain.
I have tried upgrading in the past and didn't work out too well, but figure I will give it one last try as I am out of ideas on how to get a better paying job without schooling. The English I can probably get through, but its the math that is the hurdle, I have tried to teach myself, but I end up just as confused, math has never been my thing, and I usually place below grade 7 which is usually the lowest the placement tests go, If I am lucky on the placement test I might be able to do 1-2 problems but for the most part I don't have any clue where to even start to solve the problem so end up not finishing the test, or guessing at the answer.

I never passed a math class in middle school or high school, so never picked up even the basics of algebra and pre-algebra.

Math is what holds me back, it's also why I cannot get student loans any longer, failed too many times in my attempt to get an education to better my chances at a good job.

Now at least (assuming no change in government between now and January) the upgrading is again tuition free, so costs are minimal, just the school fees and books.

Me not having an education/skills is not really from lack of trying, I have tried college so many times, I can no longer get financial aid because I could not maintain the grades mostly in math classes, but also some other college level classes as my writing skills are not at college level, essays and such, or tests when they require a written explanation, I struggle there, if testing is multiple choice, I can generally manage to pass classes but not all classes utilize multiple choice tests.

January will be here soon enough, I'll know then how well I do.

I just want to make enough so we can buy a house somewhere, tired of renting and living in shoe box condos.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 18th 2018 at 9:21 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget ........ you are now older, probably more motivated, and therefore more likely to do well.

I know of many people who have scored higher when upgrading as a mature student in their 30s to 50s with motivation.

Can you see if you can get a tutor in math???
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
Don't forget ........ you are now older, probably more motivated, and therefore more likely to do well.

I know of many people who have scored higher when upgrading as a mature student in their 30s to 50s with motivation.

Can you see if you can get a tutor in math???
Possibly depending on cost and money situation when the time comes, I try to get some help where I can when it comes to math since math and myself are not friends...lol

If it was just all normal use daily math, no issue, but they make people take these stupid useless algebra classes which is where I get into trouble learning wise. I have yet to ever need algebra in life, and unless going into a profession that requires it, it should not be a requirement.

I don't quite understand my wife's family. There is a wedding today, and the entire family got invited except my wife, this happens each and every time there is a family gathering, and nobody will ever tell her why she is always left out, strange really.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Khan Academy for online learning. It's free and very good.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Try the Khan Academy for online learning. It's free and very good.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math
Ill give them a look. I applied for academic upgrading at Vancouver Community College, trying for September start, may not happen since its so close to start date, but we will see, have to do a bunch of assessment tests for math and English and not sure if there will be time to complete them before, but will see.

If I do get in and able to take some upgrading classes, and I don't get at least a B, I will not try again. Tutor will be up in the air, most charge more then I can even make per hour, so likely won't be able to get one, but will try the link bats pointed out.

Found out on reddit that there is now a borderline peer support group in Vancouver so may check it out on Monday evening.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 24th 2018 at 1:06 am.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a Community Centre near you??

You may be able to find somebody offering free tutoring or help there.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
Is there a Community Centre near you??

You may be able to find somebody offering free tutoring or help there.
Possibly, I'll have to look into it when the time comes..

In a way, I miss my job,
Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ill give them a look. I applied for academic upgrading at Vancouver Community College, trying for September start, may not happen since its so close to start date, but we will see, have to do a bunch of assessment tests for math and English and not sure if there will be time to complete them before, but will see.

If I do get in and able to take some upgrading classes, and I don't get at least a B, I will not try again. Tutor will be up in the air, most charge more then I can even make per hour, so likely won't be able to get one, but will try the link bats pointed out.

Found out on reddit that there is now a borderline peer support group in Vancouver so may check it out on Monday evening.
a
excellent news about the support group. People who understand what you are going though. Make sure you get there, it's important.

start working through the Khan Academy now so you can be better prepared. Don't put off anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.