Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 18th 2022, 10:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by bats
Yes, I did think that that would have been a sensible thing to do.
In my case it was just dumb luck.

It was pre-Netflix when I was finding stuff all over the place that buffered terribly but worked great if downloaded using a speedy downloader.

Then came Netflix and faster internet so now it's almost all streaming. I just have the downloaded stuff available in the event of power cuts.

There is a download feature on Netflix - which seems odd when one can stream anytime - but it might be worth looking at when you know there's a storm approaching that may cut power. Assuming you have a laptop/battery that will run long enough of course.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 5:46 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In my case it was just dumb luck.

It was pre-Netflix when I was finding stuff all over the place that buffered terribly but worked great if downloaded using a speedy downloader.

Then came Netflix and faster internet so now it's almost all streaming. I just have the downloaded stuff available in the event of power cuts.

There is a download feature on Netflix - which seems odd when one can stream anytime - but it might be worth looking at when you know there's a storm approaching that may cut power. Assuming you have a laptop/battery that will run long enough of course.
The download function of Netflix, and maybe other streaming services, is also very useful if you want to binge on something while on a long trip, for example; a long flight.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 9:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
The download function of Netflix, and maybe other streaming services, is also very useful if you want to binge on something while on a long trip, for example; a long flight.
Also useful if you don't have multi-user and want two people want to watch different shows. Turn wifi off on the tablet and can watch the download while the other person watches the stream.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 5:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Shit is about to get real in Ukraine right now, why can't people just get along??
Old Feb 24th 2022, 1:15 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Shit is now, unfortunately, *very* real
Old Feb 24th 2022, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Shit is now, unfortunately, *very* real
And, just as with Syria, the world leaders don't care. They all profess to, and will "strongly condemn" Russia's actions but they will leave Ukrainians to their own fate. I suspect that China will be watching the world's reaction very carefully, and will use that to gauge its own tactics in the future.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 1:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And, just as with Syria, the world leaders don't care. They all profess to, and will "strongly condemn" Russia's actions but they will leave Ukrainians to their own fate. I suspect that China will be watching the world's reaction very carefully, and will use that to gauge its own tactics in the future.
China must almost certainly see this as a window. I wouldn't say leaders don't care, more that they don't want to lose their own troops to conflicts that do not directly concern them.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the world leaders financed Putin’s regime’s weapons used to bomb Kyiv today. Merkel loved Gazprom and was happy to do that while shutting down German power generation.

Canada could have provided LNG alternatives to Europe but our government is incapable of permitting even basic industrial projects and chose to give the right of veto to various interest groups.

All the while our own military has been severely underfunded and under-equipped.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
China must almost certainly see this as a window. I wouldn't say leaders don't care, more that they don't want to lose their own troops to conflicts that do not directly concern them.
That's what they pay their troops to do. As you are aware, I say this as a former troop that has been on the ground in such situations.

The world either believes that what Russia did is wrong, or it doesn't. If it's wrong, they should act accordingly. Condemning it as wrong but doing nothing to correct that wrong is pathetic, IMVHO.

Of course, the world has known for years that aggressors will be allowed to act in such a way. I would bet that China is licking its lips as to what it will be permitted to do in the sea around its land and with its neighbours. I see trouble ahead.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 4:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

A barrel of Brent crude oil is now trading at over $105 - a rise of close to 9%. I wonder when we will see $2 liter here in BC.
Fack you Putin.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 4:35 pm
Tea Drinker

For Russia to be fixed they need a waking/tipping point.

For everyone here that's cynical that nothing is going to happen because nothing has happened in Russia for a long time I really like this quote:

"There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen"

--Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.
Russia can change but it's up to the Russian people to decide their fate and make their own future.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Danny B
A barrel of Brent crude oil is now trading at over $105 - a rise of close to 9%. I wonder when we will see $2 liter here in BC.
Fack you Putin.
IIRC the most I have paid for a litre in Canada was $1.54, but at that time, a barrel of oil was around $150. I may have to start working full days soon.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 6:50 pm
Tea Drinker

IIRC the most I have paid for a litre in Canada was $1.54, but at that time, a barrel of oil was around $150. I may have to start working full days soon.
It's getting close..

Old Feb 24th 2022, 7:31 pm
Tea Drinker

The man is a bully.

Old Feb 25th 2022, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

In 2018, gas was $2.02/litre at the one sole gas station between Banff and Jasper on the Icefields Parkway. I seem to recall that gas was in the $1.40 range in Lake Louise at the time. That $2.02/gas price was since it was the only gas station for probably at least an hour in any direction. Few people would fill up I would think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.