Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 1st 2022, 5:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

God damn these Ukrainian's are brave people.

Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Very much depends on the nuclear weapon. If we take a larger Russian SSBN it may carry 200 warheads (say 10 per missile). Hiroshima/Nagasaki = 15 kt yield per bomb. Each warhead may have a punch of 100 kt. Times 200. Enough for the 20 largest cities in Canada to be levelled completely. With all the suburbs. There will be other issues after levelling cities which would hurt places all over the map.
This was on my recommended videos to watch today

Old Mar 2nd 2022, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

The two leaders have somewhat different modus operandi while their respective countries are at war.

Old Mar 2nd 2022, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Anyone else having 1980's style existential dread about being collateral damage in a nuclear exchange?
My dread comes from the early 60's. I clearly remember our social studies teacher explaining to us what could happen if.... cuba, russia etc.
My parents had to pick up the pieces as my nightmares flared with images of the western horizon out my bedroom window completely engulfing the rocky mountains with flames from one end to the other and as high as could be seen as it came moving closer and closer burning everything in its path.

Fun times to be an adolescent in school. I later became a Flower Powered hippie united with fellow students for sit-ins at University, we were protesting the wars. I'm still against violence as a means to political goals. Peace! and Freedom to Conversation and Opinion! 💛🌸🌻🌻🌸💛
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 4:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
My dread comes from the early 60's. I clearly remember our social studies teacher explaining to us what could happen if.... cuba, russia etc.
My parents had to pick up the pieces as my nightmares flared with images of the western horizon out my bedroom window completely engulfing the rocky mountains with flames from one end to the other and as high as could be seen as it came moving closer and closer burning everything in its path.

Fun times to be an adolescent in school. I later became a Flower Powered hippie united with fellow students for sit-ins at University, we were protesting the wars. I'm still against violence as a means to political goals. Peace! and Freedom to Conversation and Opinion! 💛🌸🌻🌻🌸💛
I was 8 then and old enough to remember my parents' anxiety but not old enough to know what was going on apart from Russia bad, America good.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
God damn these Ukrainian's are brave people.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/statu...1gCvPPtZsjcAaQ
Reminds me of the "Dancing Man" in Tianmen Square, before the slaughter there.

Probably didn't end well for him then, but the images of him represent an enduring and damning indictment of the Chinese regime, decades later.

Same now--and forever--for Putin. Never trust, never accept, never give in.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Very much depends on the nuclear weapon. If we take a larger Russian SSBN it may carry 200 warheads (say 10 per missile). Hiroshima/Nagasaki = 15 kt yield per bomb. Each warhead may have a punch of 100 kt. Times 200. Enough for the 20 largest cities in Canada to be levelled completely. With all the suburbs. There will be other issues after levelling cities which would hurt places all over the map.
Mutual Assured Destruction is still a thing. Everybody loses, forever.

And too many uncontrollable variables for any one player to attempt "limited nuclear war", even in a multi-polar world.

That is likely to give even Putin pause.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 6:39 pm
Tea Drinker

As if those food starved areas in the world didn't suffer enough already

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60623941

Old Mar 8th 2022, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I was 8 then and old enough to remember my parents' anxiety but not old enough to know what was going on apart from Russia bad, America good.
I'm a baby boomer and clearly remember the anxiety and fear I felt hearing the siren go off and having to go under our desks on her knees with our arms behind our neck and our head touching our knees. Being a kid in the 50's and early 60's was not as joyful as we try to portray the times. And yes, I'm having anxiety again because of the real threat that nukes will be used during this war. I have family 25 miles north of NYC. They would probably be one of the first to die if that were to happen. I would prefer to living there with them and having us all die at the same time and am seriously looking into going back in the upcoming weeks for a long visit.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Mutual Assured Destruction is still a thing. Everybody loses, forever.

And too many uncontrollable variables for any one player to attempt "limited nuclear war", even in a multi-polar world.

That is likely to give even Putin pause.
We all hope so. Apparently Putin is hiding in an underground city in Siberia right now. Losing this war will be a problem for Putin as he relies on the chauvinist support. Won’t go well with his base. He could commit suicide, lumber on or choose another approach.

What I can’t fathom is why Europe increased its dependence on Russian gas, oil and coal since 2014. Germany in particular. And why everyone banned supply of weapons to Ukraine until now. Had we spent the last 8 years differently, it would have given Putin pause before invading.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

We all hope so. Apparently Putin is hiding in an underground city in Siberia right now. Losing this war will be a problem for Putin as he relies on the chauvinist support. Won’t go well with his base. He could commit suicide, lumber on or choose another approach.

What I can’t fathom is why Europe increased its dependence on Russian gas, oil and coal since 2014. Germany in particular. And why everyone banned supply of weapons to Ukraine until now. Had we spent the last 8 years differently, it would have given Putin pause before invading.
I don't understand that either, I remember talking about that sometime ago.... why would you rely on an unstable corrupt country for something so critical.... its insanity! Im obviously missing something.

It even worse that North America does too when it could be self sufficient with oil and gas, especially if they didn't cancel infrastructure that is half built!!
Old Mar 8th 2022, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I don't understand that either, I remember talking about that sometime ago.... why would you rely on an unstable corrupt country for something so critical.... its insanity! Im obviously missing something.

It even worse that North America does too when it could be self sufficient with oil and gas, especially if they didn't cancel infrastructure that is half built!!
There are a few reasons. Some of these arguments are a replay of 1980s when Germans built a pipeline from USSR and the Reagan administration argued that it would make Europe dependent on the whims of a totalitarian regime. Young Blinken wrote a book in 1987, essentially supporting the German position: https://books.google.ca/books/about/...on&redir_esc=y

Germany committed to shutting down nuclear power after Fukushima. Replaced with Russian coal and gas, also increasing GHG emissions.

Creating an alternative to Russian hydrocarbons would have required spending Euros. Germany has strict constraints on balanced budgets so infrastructure investment is always the first to suffer.

Remarkably and shamefully, former Chancellor Schroeder being paid by Putin’s regime but Merkel’s government was a big part of the problem. The new government too banned Baltic states from sending weapons to Ukraine to help prevent the invasion even after Russia amassed troops on the border.

And in Canada major projects are being blocked because of special interests, pandering and government’s unwillingness to do anything beyond shoveling the cash out.

Even today Trudeau is refusing to answer a simple question which does not bode well for the future.
  • When asked whether Canada would be using its petroleum sector to help Europe lessen its dependence on Russian oil: “We need to move forward on decarbonizing our economies, but we need to do that in a way that supports people through that process and we’re going to continue doing that.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...justin-trudeau

Last edited by Mordko; Mar 8th 2022 at 5:43 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 5:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm a baby boomer and clearly remember the anxiety and fear I felt hearing the siren go off and having to go under our desks on her knees with our arms behind our neck and our head touching our knees. Being a kid in the 50's and early 60's was not as joyful as we try to portray the times. And yes, I'm having anxiety again because of the real threat that nukes will be used during this war. I have family 25 miles north of NYC. They would probably be one of the first to die if that were to happen. I would prefer to living there with them and having us all die at the same time and am seriously looking into going back in the upcoming weeks for a long visit.
We never did any of that stuff.
Old Mar 9th 2022, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
.... why would you rely on an unstable corrupt country for something...
That's not a nice way to talk about the UK
Old Mar 9th 2022, 12:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We never did any of that stuff.
I remember taking part in a civil defence exercise in my early years. I laid over a tree stump with fake blood daubed in my ear.

I remember the odd siren test too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.