Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 13th 2018, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I'm fed up, pissed off, miserable. Do something to cheer me up
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have never been able to buy enough at Shoppers to ever get anything for the points.
You mean can't get to a $50 or $75 spend to get the 20x points? I can see that, but isn't there something occasionally costly you have to get? Razors? Reading glasses? Shoe inserts?
MIL has Omega3 which can be around $20-$25 and some sort of laxative thing that's about $40, so it's no trouble to spend a bit extra on a 20x day and find you have $10 to $15 worth of points to be spent there or Loblaws. It's really like getting 20% cashback.

In my case I have to buy test strips and needles. I either time it to get 20x points or the 55+ discount (20%) at a different pharmacy.

If it's impossible to do then maybe look on the bright side that you don't have to get something costly. I know you have other costs.

It pleases me I can save about 20% of the costs of needles and strips but I'd much rather not have to spend the 80% to begin with.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You mean can't get to a $50 or $75 spend to get the 20x points? I can see that, but isn't there something occasionally costly you have to get? Razors? Reading glasses? Shoe inserts?
MIL has Omega3 which can be around $20-$25 and some sort of laxative thing that's about $40, so it's no trouble to spend a bit extra on a 20x day and find you have $10 to $15 worth of points to be spent there or Loblaws. It's really like getting 20% cashback.

In my case I have to buy test strips and needles. I either time it to get 20x points or the 55+ discount (20%) at a different pharmacy.

If it's impossible to do then maybe look on the bright side that you don't have to get something costly. I know you have other costs.

It pleases me I can save about 20% of the costs of needles and strips but I'd much rather not have to spend the 80% to begin with.

I only buy small things at Shoppers usually, things like shampoo (they will have head and shoulders on sale for 3.99 either name brand or store brand stuff) laundry detergent when its on sale, sometimes milk, but yeah we don't have any needs where we would spend $75+ at Shoppers.

I buy my tooth brushes there too as they sell the Colgate ones I like for 99 cents on sale vs 1.25 at dollar store & 1.47 at Wal-Mart.

When they had a better food selection I would spend more, but they shrunk the food selection and since Loblaws took over I stopped going to get Cheese when on sale since they replaced it with no name cheese and I don't like no name,
Old Jul 14th 2018, 4:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I wish it had been a 20x day when I had to pay out $160 on 3 months worth of medications that I have to continue for life, this week
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Anywhere east of Vanier is mainly Franco. Oddly, when you cross into QC, it becomes rather Anglo again. We went into downtown Rigaud for lunch during a trip a few years ago. I heard more English than French.

It's a bit like that in the Eastern Townships. We were in a supermarket in Bromont and almost everyone was speaking English. A lot of them were probably Americans. Bromont is not far from the border.
Yes, Vanier, Rockland, Alfred, Casselman, Hawkesbury, St. Isidore, St. Eugene are quite franco. Vankleek Hill, Lancaster not so much. I don't find Rigaud that anglo but St. Lazare is very anglo and horsey.

In the eastern Townships I find south of Autoroute 10 to be quite anglo, Knowlton, Brome, North Hatley are places that I can think of.

The Pontiac region NW of Aylmer heading up to Shawville and Fort Colougne is very anglo.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I wish it had been a 20x day when I had to pay out $160 on 3 months worth of medications that I have to continue for life, this week

Prescriptions were a good way to collect points back in the day. BC has since banned collecting points on prescriptions. Ticked people off and stores sued but the ban was upheld so no more points on rx.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 2:02 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Our last cash in of our shoppers points landed us an Xbox one pro!
just had to.pay the tax.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Prescriptions were a good way to collect points back in the day. BC has since banned collecting points on prescriptions. Ticked people off and stores sued but the ban was upheld so no more points on rx.
Still attract points here, but not the bonus ones.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

Nothing like having a plane loaded and ready to go and no fueler in sight. Its a different company and they seem short staffed today.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the beach with friends today - it's been planned for weeks and I have been so looking forwards to it.. We only go there a couple of times a year and never made it there last year.. so it's a bit of a big deal for me... plus I was wearing a skort and top that I purchased specifically for today, having lost 30lb and feeling like I don't look quite so crap for a change!

It's been stonking hot the last couple of weeks, blue sky and sunshine.. perfect beach /patio weather. So off we troll for the hour+ journey, boogie boards, chairs, beach umbrella, swimgear, towels, sun tan oil stowed away and off we jolly well go, all ready for a lovely day by the water!

After stopping for breakfast, we carry on driving and finally get there, Go to the pub overlooking the water where we usually go prior to going further along the coast to the sand beach and are sat on the patio drinks in hand (non-alcoholic in my case) - and it clouds over... thick dark clouds covered the sky - and it poured with bloody rain the whole afternoon. There were 4 of us huddled under an umbrella, sipping! It was absolutely tipping it down with severe thunderstorm warnings, thunder grumbling in the background - and boats speeding to get back to the marina.

No sitting on the beach in the sunshine with a stroll along the sand and a paddle. I was so disappointed. I asked if we could try and reschedule another visit for September - weather permitting!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 15th 2018 at 5:08 am.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 12:09 pm
Oscar nominated

That's a shame

That sounded like a very British place the way you described it. And then when the summer rain arrived it was most definitely Blighty.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Its Friday for me. 3 days of sleeping in until 7am....cant wait.

Nice day though. A bit humid but always is early in the day.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

Always the pits when weather is not cooperative. Hopefully you folks can manage to get the visit in with some nice weather in Sept.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Went to the beach with friends today - it's been planned for weeks and I have been so looking forwards to it.. We only go there a couple of times a year and never made it there last year.. so it's a bit of a big deal for me... plus I was wearing a skort and top that I purchased specifically for today, having lost 30lb and feeling like I don't look quite so crap for a change!

It's been stonking hot the last couple of weeks, blue sky and sunshine.. perfect beach /patio weather. So off we troll for the hour+ journey, boogie boards, chairs, beach umbrella, swimgear, towels, sun tan oil stowed away and off we jolly well go, all ready for a lovely day by the water!

After stopping for breakfast, we carry on driving and finally get there, Go to the pub overlooking the water where we usually go prior to going further along the coast to the sand beach and are sat on the patio drinks in hand (non-alcoholic in my case) - and it clouds over... thick dark clouds covered the sky - and it poured with bloody rain the whole afternoon. There were 4 of us huddled under an umbrella, sipping! It was absolutely tipping it down with severe thunderstorm warnings, thunder grumbling in the background - and boats speeding to get back to the marina.

No sitting on the beach in the sunshine with a stroll along the sand and a paddle. I was so disappointed. I asked if we could try and reschedule another visit for September - weather permitting!
Old Jul 15th 2018, 11:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been able to buy enough at Shoppers to ever get anything for the points.
It's President's choice and shoppers combined now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.