Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:15 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You must have one of those fancy GP offices, lol.. mine has a receptionist; a doctor; a nurse who can do blood pressure or put a bandage on or take down some details.. and that's about it!

Anything other than that you need to go to one of the places like 'LifeLabs' for blood tests, urine tests or ECG etc.

Mine is whole clinic - they have dental, pharmacy etc. Lifelabs is upstairs. I did go for an ECG - never had one before though but I'm guessing Doc just sent me for a load of tests as a new patient and to make sure I am healthy.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did have a blog a couple years back. It never really took off, but I did have some traffic, anywhere from 0 to 20-30 views a day, sometimes more. I started to get too many trolls and some unpleasant comments so I stopped.

Never thought of self publishing something though.....

Lost my debit card at work, no idea where, so it could be sitting on the ramp somewhere, in the terminal, in the belly of a plane, who knows. 2-3 business days for the new card, and 1-2 business days for the PIN. It with one of the no branch banks and while they do have what the call a cafe in Vancouver, they require a photo ID with current address but the little paper sticker ICBC sends out when there is an address change is gone, and I haven't received the new one yet, so can't get a temporary card as no utility bills are in my name.

Debt is great until you lose the card and have no access to your money........May go back to a bank with branches, things like this would be pretty simple to solve with a branch.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think personality has a huge part to play.

J...I often think when reading your posts...have you thought of writing a blog about your struggles? You write so well and there must be many out there who can relate to you.
Us quiet types seem to get overlooked regardless of how well of a job we do, at times we do a better job then those who end up moving up. And of course the its not what you know but who you know which comes into play.

The only actual time I ever managed to really move up was because it was a union job, and the company had to promote based on seniority so once I had the seniority with the company, I was able to move up not very high though, just went from ramp to weight and balance. 1 step up.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Promotion isn't everything you know. There's merit and safety in just going in, doing a good job, and going homr.

Don't obsess over this.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Promotion isn't everything you know. There's merit and safety in just going in, doing a good job, and going homr.

Don't obsess over this.
Just needing to make more, it's not so much about a promotion, I just need a higher income to cover the cost of life which is increasing quicker then my pay increases.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 9th 2018 at 1:58 am.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 11:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Promotion isn't everything you know. There's merit and safety in just going in, doing a good job, and going home
This.
I saw people come after me (in DSS/DWP) and move up before me whose performance reports were nowhere near as good as mine and I had mentored/trained some. I had great reports in my numerous periods of deputising and supervising - one for a whole year - with the staff in those posts permanently bringing their problems to me because I could solve them.

But our promotion system threw all that out the window and it was all done by a board of three strangers (not recruitment/staff experts, just people volunteering because they made a packet in expenses) who marked you on a 20 minute interview (in the early years you might get asked questions about OPEC or some other current affairs topic )

I'd get very bitter with every 'failure' and after a couple of days just tell myself at least I had a job that I did well and benefited a lot of people. (pun intended )

Of course I had very affordable housing costs too so it was easier in that respect.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

I think it can be even more difficult in govt jobs to move up, difficult to even get hired into govt jobs without knowing someone. RCMP and other law enforcement do seem easier though.

Private sector really the only way to a living wage is via promotion. The entry level jobs I can get just dont pay enough to live.

Hotel night auditor low wage ditto for just about every job in a hotel other then management of various levels.

The basic costs of living are increasing too quickly to keep up with.

Housing being the biggest cost of life.

Its not about a job title its simply about needing higher income so we dont live one foot on the street like we currently do.

The stress is becoming too much for me to handle and I really starting to see physical health issues. I clench my jaw so hard now from stress I am chipping teeth and even in sleep my dreams are full of stress.

Stress will be my end I am sure.

My wife has been sick for the last week with a severe cold/eye infection. Ill probably get it and my luck it will be the start of my work week Thurs but I cannot miss anymore work so ill have to go in sick.

At this point I almost think we would be better off not working and living in the middle of nowhere.

If we moved out of Vancouver though I will lose access to DBT and therapy so there is that as well.

I just hope we can make rent. The EI payments in June will hurt us this month with disability.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This.
I saw people come after me (in DSS/DWP) and move up before me whose performance reports were nowhere near as good as mine and I had mentored/trained some. I had great reports in my numerous periods of deputising and supervising - one for a whole year - with the staff in those posts permanently bringing their problems to me because I could solve them.

But our promotion system threw all that out the window and it was all done by a board of three strangers (not recruitment/staff experts, just people volunteering because they made a packet in expenses) who marked you on a 20 minute interview (in the early years you might get asked questions about OPEC or some other current affairs topic )

I'd get very bitter with every 'failure' and after a couple of days just tell myself at least I had a job that I did well and benefited a lot of people. (pun intended )

Of course I had very affordable housing costs too so it was easier in that respect.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 9th 2018 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to squeeze in a serving of vegetables wherever I can.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

Gotta do whatever works to get some veggies... Lol

Originally Posted by caretaker
Old Jul 11th 2018, 12:30 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
theres juniper berries in gin, surely that is enough?
Old Jul 11th 2018, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Old Jul 11th 2018, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

I wish my company would assist with relocation, would be nice to move back east and stay with them and have a job upon arrival, but it's not something they do.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 8:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish my company would assist with relocation, would be nice to move back east and stay with them and have a job upon arrival, but it's not something they do.

Could you transfer with them though, if you could pay your own relocation expenses? Something to think about... never say never!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 9:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The hell? I thought it would be an earthquake or something - were they just getting re-organised because of the new cats coming into the room?
Old Jul 11th 2018, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Could you transfer with them though, if you could pay your own relocation expenses? Something to think about... never say never!
If there was an opening and I was chosen to fill the vacancy I could relocate at my expense, however that would be difficult since it costs a lot of money to move across country, I figure 3-5k at minimum based on last time I checked out Uhaul prices.

The hitch with moving is the funds needed to relocate that far.

Can't consider it until end of the year anyhow, need to go through the DBT program to see if that helps improve how I feel and think, it runs 26 weeks, but with a couple breaks for holidays, so runs into early 2019.

I was contemplating going to school in the fall, but that would require me to quit my job since my hours are not compatible with school hours, and to be honest, I haven't a clue what to even take or what kind of training would lead to a decent income. I find a program that looks doable then find pay rates and basically what I make now, so seems a waste to pay for school to just end up at the same wage level.

If I could get through the math, I think I could possibly do mental health nursing (totally separate training and career in BC from a RN) as they make decent hourly wage, 30-40 depending on tenure and if you move to certain areas of BC you can get loan forgiveness, it would just take me 6-7 years in total with all the upgrading I need, and who knows by then if there would be jobs...

I am also not sure I could get through the math, math is why I am on shaky ground with financial aid, I have tried too many time to get through math and not passed so the gov't is done with assisting with funding, I did my best, I just seem to not be smart enough to get through advanced math courses.

Yes, in theory its possible to relocate with the company provided there is a job opening and your hired for it and can relocate at your cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.