Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Hope you can find something.

We were trying to do a couple day road trip in August, but holy man are hotels ever expensive these day's and they are not even that nice, basic ones like travelodge or best western wanting 150-200/night.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Trying to find a reasonably priced 3 bedroom cottage on the waterfront anywhere around Lake Huron (or even a small inland lake) is proving impossible. They are either not on the water (or have obscured views), fully booked or too damn expensive - or in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest and where there be bears (my worst nightmare). Having a 'sisters' week - and my first holiday in more than 10 years - at a cottage this September is beginning to look doubtful.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:32 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

We were trying to do a couple day road trip in August, but holy man are hotels ever expensive these day's and they are not even that nice, basic ones like travelodge or best western wanting 150-200/night.
I took a look and 150 seemed to be the benchmark in Oliver. You can get a room in Fort Mcleod for half that, but I remember your list has theme parks way up, so the local stuff there may not cut the mustard. I look it up on trivago in case I don't want to drive all the way to BC or back in one go.
Edit: The English may go for that old west stuff, you never know... my ancestor Bill Cody made a good dollar at it.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Macleod seems interesting from what I see online. It's a bit further then we have time for though..

Originally Posted by caretaker
I took a look and 150 seemed to be the benchmark in Oliver. You can get a room in Fort Mcleod for half that, but I remember your list has theme parks way up, so the local stuff there may not cut the mustard. I look it up on trivago in case I don't want to drive all the way to BC or back in one go.
Edit: The English may go for that old west stuff, you never know... my ancestor Bill Cody made a good dollar at it.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:56 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to find a reasonably priced 3 bedroom cottage on the waterfront anywhere around Lake Huron (or even a small inland lake) is provfving impossible. They are either not on the water (or have obscured views), fully booked or too damn expensive - or in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest and where there be bears (my worst nightmare). Having a 'sisters' week - and my first holiday in more than 10 years - at a cottage this September is beginning to look doubtful.
Even after the schools go back? Have you looked out this way? Airbnb? Travel zoo?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 11:59 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Macleod seems interesting from what I see online. It's a bit further then we have time for though..
And hot, I just drove the #3 and that rhymes with A/C. I always like going through the high mountain meadows in the passes from Osoyoos east. I think "How beautiful it must be to wake up to that every day."

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 30th 2017 at 12:01 pm. Reason: thought twice, no edit: I want that credited to that to my acct, thx
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:27 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Try booking through "Priceline.com" be careful prices may start in US Dollars and need changing to Can$
Old Jul 30th 2017, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Elbow seems to have filled with liquid, kind of looks like popeyes elbow..

My desk chair at the computer broke while I was on it (its been falling apart and should have been chucked months ago.) and I have really hurt by elbow, not broken, but boy oh boy is it ever painful.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:58 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to find a reasonably priced 3 bedroom cottage on the waterfront anywhere around Lake Huron (or even a small inland lake) is proving impossible. They are either not on the water (or have obscured views), fully booked or too damn expensive - or in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest and where there be bears (my worst nightmare). Having a 'sisters' week - and my first holiday in more than 10 years - at a cottage this September is beginning to look doubtful.
We rented a lovely 2-bed-plus-loft cottage in Bayfield for an out of season week a couple of years ago. South of the village, on a road that delights in the name Glitter Bay Drive, I think. Owned by an expat Brit, its only failing was that he was a Liverpool fan and there was rather too much Anfield memorabilia in the place for my taste.... if I can find his details somewhere I'll let you know. Lake views, wonderful sunsets over the (then frozen - it was New Year) lake, steep steps down to a waterfront deck and beach access.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Catching salmon the Alaskan way Bear Cam - live from Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park | Explore.org
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
We rented a lovely 2-bed-plus-loft cottage in Bayfield for an out of season week a couple of years ago. South of the village, on a road that delights in the name Glitter Bay Drive, I think. Owned by an expat Brit, its only failing was that he was a Liverpool fan and there was rather too much Anfield memorabilia in the place for my taste.... if I can find his details somewhere I'll let you know. Lake views, wonderful sunsets over the (then frozen - it was New Year) lake, steep steps down to a waterfront deck and beach access.
Thank you so much!

Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:39 am
Account Closed

They are filming a TV show in our parking garage today at home, some show called the arrangement.

This area gets a lot of films/tv shows.

It's also a bit orange out today, smoke from the interior fires has blown over to the coast.

And we have an alarm installer coming today, someone tried to break in one day last week when we were not home and Charlee was alone, so we decided to get an alarm installed, better then nothing, 2nd time someone has tried to pry open the window.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Did he wear a shell suit and talk like Carragher
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...show called the arrangement...
I wish I hadn't bothered looking that up
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wish I hadn't bothered looking that up
It doesn't sound like a very entertaining show.

Mazda 2's I see all over the road, yet near impossible to find in a junk yard.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Student priests in bar told: 'Sorry gents - no fancy dress or stag dos'
The Archdiocese of Cardiff said the seven took the episode in good humour.
Well I doubt they'd have started a bar brawl

Could be painful being kicked in the cassocks.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 1st 2017 at 10:28 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.