Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 25th 2016, 8:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Lemon Hart and egg nog.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thursday
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I am now the proud non owner of a duplex. All signed off, but I suppose all the other parties could drop dead, go insane, whatever before I bank the proceeds tomorrow

Got a phone call Thursday, late afternoon...buyers need extra time. The short space between offer (Sat) and closing (Thurs) meant the buyer couldn't clear a cheque that day.

Okay...so long as that was the truth and not some cover for the other parties fleeing to Bolivia or something.

Tense Friday. No news in the morning. Blood sugar went low. BUt if a 24 hour delay, it wouldn't be until afternoon anyway. Calm down.

Into afternoon. No news by 2.30. Blood sugar low again. Drank orange juice, usually enough but blood sugar no better 30 mins later.

Emailed lawyer. "Buyer's lawyer on the way...I'm told..."
"I'm told"? So far as I'm aware. The language of the duplicitous politician covering his back.

But it all goes through and lawyer delivers my cheque.

On my way to my bank to deposit it, I see him coming out of another bank. Depositing his cheque or putting a stop on mine?

I'm not, by nature, a worrier but these last two years...
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thursday

Got a phone call Thursday, late afternoon...buyers need extra time. The short space between offer (Sat) and closing (Thurs) meant the buyer couldn't clear a cheque that day.

Okay...so long as that was the truth and not some cover for the other parties fleeing to Bolivia or something.

Tense Friday. No news in the morning. Blood sugar went low. BUt if a 24 hour delay, it wouldn't be until afternoon anyway. Calm down.

Into afternoon. No news by 2.30. Blood sugar low again. Drank orange juice, usually enough but blood sugar no better 30 mins later.

Emailed lawyer. "Buyer's lawyer on the way...I'm told..."
"I'm told"? So far as I'm aware. The language of the duplicitous politician covering his back.

But it all goes through and lawyer delivers my cheque.

On my way to my bank to deposit it, I see him coming out of another bank. Depositing his cheque or putting a stop on mine?

I'm not, by nature, a worrier but these last two years...
One wonders why they couldn't use bank drafts or certified cheques.

If your lawyer's cheque was a trust cheque (in Alberta it would have to have been) you are good as he wouldn't have issued it unless he had sufficient funds (it's a serious disciplinary breach to issue a trust cheque without sufficient funds).

Anyway, good to hear all ended well.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Re: post #767

I know that feeling well.
Some years ago I had a boat and put up a 'for sale' sign as I was too cheap to pay commission to a broker.
A couple of young brothers wanted to buy...but only if I'd take cash and record the sale price well under the actual. They didn't want to attract attention to Revenue Canada. I understood they were in the restaurant business (cash income) and so complied.
At the agreed time for the transaction, which happened to be in the evening, they turned up at the boat with an envelope full of cash and I gave them the boat's documents but said the keys would be held by the dock-master and could be collected from him.

The banks were closed...I had an envelope full of cash...it was dark in Downtown Vancouver....and I was nervous. WHAT IF...they had a gang on the street ready to recover the cash...they had the boats docs...the bill of sale and agreed note to get the keys...and I'd have nought and maybe a broken head!

I called my wife and she suggested I stay on the boat as it was in a secured marina and bank the money next day when open...this I did but it was almost a sleepless night...the slightest sound had me twitching.

Fortunately, all went well, and later I became friends with the new owners as I used their money to buy a bigger boat and moored close by.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 11:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Small kitchens are a pain to, counter to counter our kitchen is 3'2" wide, dishwasher door barely opens, and if open you can't open the fridge, only way to open the drawer is to open the oven door, someone forgot to measure properly when putting the cabinets and counters in.

For as much as these condos/apartments sell for they sure build them cheaply and low quality.
You've got a dishwasher?!
Old Nov 25th 2016, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If your lawyer's cheque was a trust cheque (in Alberta it would have to have been) you are good as he wouldn't have issued it unless he had sufficient funds (it's a serious disciplinary breach to issue a trust cheque without sufficient funds).
Other than the amount and payee, I didn't notice too much about the cheque, but the documents referred to "in trust" so it sounds like it.

Anyway, good to hear all ended well.
Thanks.

It's a shame the first one didn't follow through nearly 3 months ago but you can't have everything.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:01 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

We've just completed on the sales of a business. 18 months of stress and BS from potential buyers. It was easier to own and run than the sales process itself.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
We've just completed on the sales of a business. 18 months of stress and BS from potential buyers. It was easier to own and run than the sales process itself.
Congratulations
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You've got a dishwasher?!
In this place yes. Newer buildings in BC tend to have them.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:56 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Rice pudding with a blob of jam.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
How big a bathroom does one person need. If it's got a vanity/washing bowl, a toilet, a shower/bath and room to move around how much more space is required. Personally when in a bathroom I don't appreciate anyone else being there while I do my ablutions.
Our bathroom is small, really small. For a short person like my wife with shorter arms, it's not an issue, but for a tall person, well elbows into the walls constantly in the shower due to how small it is, I am sure the neighbors appreciate the elbow bangs late at night or early mornings.....

If I laid down at the tub, I could not close the door as my legs would need to exit the bathroom to lay flat.

Some reason they build apartment bathrooms way too small. But tis the trend in Canada, compare a 1bedroom apartment built in the 60's to 80's to one now, and they are a lot smaller.

Not including the bath tub/shower, the bathroom is 4'8" x 5 feet.
I'd quite like my bathroom to be a bit bigger: anyone over 5'4" has to kneel in the (over tub) shower & crouch/crawl sideways out of it, & forget actually having a bath in the mini tub! Shower/bath is crammed into a space under the building's main staircase, with sharply sloping ceiling over it. No way to install a shower curtain either! Fortunately the "room" (if one can call it that) is tiled all over.

Not the smallest I've ever had to deal with, that was a Paris apartment where the only way to sit on the loo one had to put one's feet in the shower.

Small kitchens are a pain to, counter to counter our kitchen is 3'2" wide, dishwasher door barely opens, and if open you can't open the fridge, only way to open the drawer is to open the oven door, someone forgot to measure properly when putting the cabinets and counters in.
This apartment has a reasonable kitchen, thankfully. I've lived in places where the fridge had to live in a corridor or the living room; & in places where kitchen & bathroom were separate from the house in the backyard.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'd quite like my bathroom to be a bit bigger: anyone over 5'4" has to kneel in the (over tub) shower & crouch/crawl sideways out of it, & forget actually having a bath in the mini tub! Shower/bath is crammed into a space under the building's main staircase, with sharply sloping ceiling over it. No way to install a shower curtain either! Fortunately the "room" (if one can call it that) is tiled all over.

Not the smallest I've ever had to deal with, that was a Paris apartment where the only way to sit on the loo one had to put one's feet in the shower.

This apartment has a reasonable kitchen, thankfully. I've lived in places where the fridge had to live in a corridor or the living room; & in places where kitchen & bathroom were separate from the house in the backyard.
When I lived in Vancouver the not so legal basement suite I shared did not even have a kitchen.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The West Point Eggnog Riot of 1826:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggnog_Riot
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

So I go into the LB to grab a bottle of Drambuie and an extra Scotch and there's a little recipe card on the shelf telling me how to make a rusty nail, and it says I should be putting a twist of lime in it! I haven't had a rusty nail in maybe 6 or 7 years, but I've had my share overall and never with a twist in it. I had limes so I tried it; totally unnecessary. That little advertising card is for the benefit of the people who print and sell little advertising cards, and no one else.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

I broke a leg this morning.

I was following a suggestion from Caretaker about slow cooking a turkey leg but it was too long for the small pot I was using, so I broke it to fit.

Leeks, onion, carrots, red wine, chicken stew mix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.