Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by MillieF
Congratulations Bristol! I'd been imagining all sorts Europe here you come...perhaps....
Thanks. Have to get passports for the others then back to researching options.

Still looking at something for between Paris and Nice...popping into Italy or Germany as part of a journey, maybe.

My husband has invited people to dinner at the weekend...
Don't forget to take the pork chops out the freezer.

Originally Posted by bats
Thawed in time. No ziplock bags but I put them in a large Tupperware and then put that in cool water....
That works too...although sometimes that's when you need the Siouxie supplemental to weight it down.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a huge piece of beef in Walmart this week - $16.00 odd - at $6.99 a lb. I've just made enough beef stew to last about 4 meals and still have some left over (hmm strogonoff maybe) - I couldn't fit it all in the pan. Bargain!

Now, where did I put that dumpling recipe?

Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...still have some left over (hmm strogonoff maybe)...
Recipe for that in the guardian today.

Beef in beer (dark or Guinness) works well. Turn it into a pie too.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Recipe for that in the guardian today.

Beef in beer (dark or Guinness) works well. Turn it into a pie too.
I used to make beef in Guinness all the time, years ago. Good find on the Strogonoff recipe - maybe I'll use the rest for it or turn it into a beef pie.

Thanks!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 24th 2016 at 11:49 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Nope not kidding, they close promptly at 12 noon, boot everyone out, then an hour later open again. They do the same on the phone, if on hold and 4pm comes around instead of doing what private sector does and take all calls in que, they close the phone lines and hang up on you.

Mentals.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 1:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Mentals.
Lets just say the government of BC tends to treat the disabled and less fortunate unpleasantly.

Instead of letting people sit inside on busy days and use number system, where you take a number, wait til it's called, they make people line up outside and in winter it's not pleasent to stand 1-2 hours sometimes more in the cold.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 1:46 pm
Oscar nominated

One for JS

Old Nov 25th 2016, 2:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-bizarro.gif  
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

So I was checking to determine if FilmOn was working for me and hooked into a programme about Brits looking for a property in the country. In this case it was a couple of ExPats returning to U.K. from Asia. The properties they were shown had been very attractively renovated to high standards but something I noticed and have seen on similar programmers were comments about the size of some bathrooms.How big a bathroom does one person need. If it's got a vanity/washing bowl, a toilet, a shower/bath and room to move around how much more space is required. Personally when in a bathroom I don't appreciate anyone else being there while I do my ablutions. My bathrooms can accommodate one person comfortably and two if absolutely necessary. When growing up many people considered having a inside toilet/bathroom to be the absolute height of luxury.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
. ...How big a bathroom does one person need. If it's got a vanity/washing bowl, a toilet, a shower/bath and room to move around how much more space is required....When growing up many people considered having a inside toilet/bathroom to be the absolute height of luxury.
In our council house we had a bathroom which had a bath and sink and the toilet was in the next room. Two small and narrow rooms.

It seems odd looking back to think that you could use the toilet but you'd have to go in the bathroom to wash your hands.

But when we moved and everything was in the bathroom at the new house I was thinking what if you need the toilet and someone's in the bath?
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So I was checking to determine if FilmOn was working for me and hooked into a programme about Brits looking for a property in the country. In this case it was a couple of ExPats returning to U.K. from Asia. The properties they were shown had been very attractively renovated to high standards but something I noticed and have seen on similar programmers were comments about the size of some bathrooms.How big a bathroom does one person need. If it's got a vanity/washing bowl, a toilet, a shower/bath and room to move around how much more space is required. Personally when in a bathroom I don't appreciate anyone else being there while I do my ablutions. My bathrooms can accommodate one person comfortably and two if absolutely necessary. When growing up many people considered having a inside toilet/bathroom to be the absolute height of luxury.
Our bathroom is small, really small. For a short person like my wife with shorter arms, it's not an issue, but for a tall person, well elbows into the walls constantly in the shower due to how small it is, I am sure the neighbors appreciate the elbow bangs late at night or early mornings.....

If I laid down at the tub, I could not close the door as my legs would need to exit the bathroom to lay flat.

Some reason they build apartment bathrooms way too small. But tis the trend in Canada, compare a 1bedroom apartment built in the 60's to 80's to one now, and they are a lot smaller.

Not including the bath tub/shower, the bathroom is 4'8" x 5 feet.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 25th 2016 at 6:34 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Small kitchens are a pain to, counter to counter our kitchen is 3'2" wide, dishwasher door barely opens, and if open you can't open the fridge, only way to open the drawer is to open the oven door, someone forgot to measure properly when putting the cabinets and counters in.

For as much as these condos/apartments sell for they sure build them cheaply and low quality.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Our bathroom is small, really small. For a short person like my wife with shorter arms, it's not an issue, but for a tall person, well elbows into the walls constantly in the shower due to how small it is, I am sure the neighbors appreciate the elbow bangs late at night or early mornings.....

If I laid down at the tub, I could not close the door as my legs would need to exit the bathroom to lay flat.
I can't help it Jsmth but you've set me off I have a wonderful image of you in the bathroom which will stay forever...it's been a ho hum sort of day, and you've cheered me up immensely
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you're talking about Escape to the Country in which case watching more episodes will greatly enlighten you as to current British bathroom practice. A Indian man with one of those very British Indian accents engagingly specified the need for two bathrooms as his wife "is not about to share one with me". One couple grinned lasciviously at a bath tub in the middle of the bedroom and, as you say, many complain that the bathroom is not larger than the lawn of the house in which I grew up, "we've lived in America, don't you know?"

My favourite episodes are the ones where, after much muddy trudging, the prospective purchasers come to their senses choose a flat in London or a villa in Portugal instead.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Designs is a better show on the property theme. I think it could be reworked as Emigration Stories to great effect. The participants start out with good ideas, high hopes and a little money. They engage professionals who blow their ideas up so they have fantastic expectations. They get rained on a lot before ending up broke, in debt to everyone they ever met, and wondering why they ever started down this path. Emigration however doesn't litter the Lake District with leaky monstrosities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.