Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 28th 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by dbd33
Maybe you're too young or Ottawa is too far away. Very many of the people I knew in school or worked with along the way have active accounts. Relentless posts about tennis, bird watching, sailing and cheap holidays in the sun. I suppose the way of Zimmer frame reviews can't be far off. I usually stalk people I meet at work and am surprised if they have no facebook profile.

I use Instagram to see what my children are doing, they're not young though, I suppose there's some other platform for the youth of today that's too fashionable for me to have even heard of.
52 years young. Away from the UK since 17. In my age it tends to be a female skewed user basis. The signal to noise ratio is too high for my liking. Through viewing FB posts of people I know I've found out things about people that I wouldn't want to be known about myself if true and I've found out things about people I know that I wish I didn't know.

I've heard that employers get concerned when potential employees don't have FB account as if they're trying to hide something

The platform da youf use is Snapchat. It makes FB look deep and permanent. As well, few adults/parents use Snapchat so they can't see what their kids are up to.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The local newspaper (Ottawa Citizen) uses FB as the way to make comments on articles.

I've never had a FB account yet in my demographic (male, WASP, white collar early 50's) it doesn't really come up in conversation and people never say 'hey I tried to find you on FB'. Really only wife and kids know of my refusal to get an account. Our 16 year old son has an account and never really uses it. He prefers Reddit for information (same with me) and Instagram. Wife and 20 year old daughter use their FB accounts.

I really only use it as most of the forums I used to go to for aquariums have migrated onto facebook and it's also the easiest way to keep up to date with family back home, and well in Canada smaller companies in niche markets like aquariums and reptiles seem to prefer using facebook over having a website.

I don't add random people or have co-workers on fb, and I use a different variation of my last name that makes it difficult for people to locate me, nor do I use a identifiable fb profile photo.

I have an instagram, but haven't signed in or used it, nobody I know uses it, ditto with twitter so I don't use it either.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And there are plenty who do have websites but their latest info is on FB. Including opening times

It's as if they don't want your business if you're not part of the in-crowd.
If a place can't offer a website and wants to create a pain in the arse ordering system, I just go and buy it from the US.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This new trend of companies (all US based thus far) wanting to randomly verify your account via sending a text with a security code is annoying.
There is a little bit of a security issue using SMS as 2FA.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...2fa-is-screwed
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've heard that employers get concerned when potential employees don't have FB account as if they're trying to hide something
I find it's a useful counter balance to linkedin. At least in our business, a linkedin profile is likely to be almost entirely invention. As with resumes, many linkedin profiles are prepared by agents and are identical except for the name. If someone has a facebook or dating site profile it's likely to be a closely edited version of the truth. I don't think, for example, that many people will make false claims about their education on facebook but, if they really went to Milton Keynes Poly, it'll be mentioned.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
, if they really went to Milton Keynes Poly, it'll be mentioned.
If that the new name for the OU?
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If that the new name for the OU?
Ha! No, I didn't mean any particular institution, just that having lots of friends on facebook from a particular school is better evidence of having attended than mention of it on a resume/linkedin.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Interesting.

Anyhow the issue is my US bank account, they won't let me access it until I receive a 4 digit code via text, but they can't send a text to a Canadian number only a US number, so seems I may never have access to the online banking again..ha ha

Or at least as of now they don't have a solution to this, wish they would just send it by email or stop randomly asking for verification codes.

Originally Posted by mrken30
There is a little bit of a security issue using SMS as 2FA.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...2fa-is-screwed
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a couple of days ago about how early people go to bed here in our part of Moncton.

I'm currently wearing a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. It's set to go every half an hour and hourly through the night, which I took to be somewhere around midnight.

It's been going 10 past and 20 to and I've just realised that 10.40 came and went and it didn't go.

So bed time officially starts at 10.10.
Hope all is well Bristol...

Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hope all is well Bristol...
Just a routine check (first 24 hr monitor in 4 years) following a meds change, thanks. (although my BP is not always good.)
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Now, my mind...that's another matter....

Earlier this week my new Medicare card arrived, the old one still with a month left and my sticker on it for the regular tests.

I did a blood test yesterday since I was at the hospital to get the BP monitor and got them to do a new sticker for the new card.

This evening we all went out to East Side Mario's (not my choice but the others like it)...my treat.

Before we left I cut up the old Medicare card and sorted my wallet out.

When the bill came, guess which card I had with me rather than the bank card I should have had.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Now, my mind...that's another matter....

Earlier this week my new Medicare card arrived, the old one still with a month left and my sticker on it for the regular tests.

I did a blood test yesterday since I was at the hospital to get the BP monitor and got them to do a new sticker for the new card.

This evening we all went out to East Side Mario's (not my choice but the others like it)...my treat.

Before we left I cut up the old Medicare card and sorted my wallet out.

When the bill came, guess which card I had with me rather than the bank card I should have had.
Well done, a modern version of the "I've left my wallet at home" ruse.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 9:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It was Souvette's birthday a couple of days ago. She's up at the other place for a few days. I couldn't go this time because of work.

My son and I conspired to get her a present. A car. He sourced it and checked it out. I merely paid for it.

She has since used it. I asked her what it was like. The word 'holy was about the only one that would get through the forum filters.

I won't say what the car is but there is a huge clue in my wife's nickname.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

My desk chair at the computer broke while I was on it (its been falling apart and should have been chucked months ago.) and I have really hurt by elbow, not broken, but boy oh boy is it ever painful.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
It was Souvette's birthday a couple of days ago. She's up at the other place for a few days. I couldn't go this time because of work.

My son and I conspired to get her a present. A car. He sourced it and checked it out. I merely paid for it.

She has since used it. I asked her what it was like. The word 'holy was about the only one that would get through the forum filters.

I won't say what the car is but there is a huge clue in my wife's nickname.
If, as I suspect, you bought your wife a Corvette as a present, well done mate! The best I've done, so far, is an MG Midget with some cosmetic issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.