Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 24th 2020, 9:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Hail, Caesar!

The Caesar Salad was invented in Tijuana, and the Caesar Cocktail was invented in Calgary.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Santa is almost in Mauritania. I didn’t even know Mauritania was a country. It’s much bigger than African countries I have heard of. In 2021 I will become less ignorant. Hopefully.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 8:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Santa is almost in Mauritania. I didn’t even know Mauritania was a country. It’s much bigger than African countries I have heard of. In 2021 I will become less ignorant. Hopefully.
You need to do the BE quiz, that helps. https://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=44158
Old Dec 26th 2020, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vernon story, new pharmacy found some history from a previous pharmacy that used to occupy the same building and able to find some living relatives of the old pharmacy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...macy-1.5854791

Old Dec 26th 2020, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Next stop on the pandemic train, mass evictions. I suspect in the coming months homeless rates may increase a bit in some areas as people fall further behind on rent and rental boards begin issuing notices to vacate.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1609000758

Vernon has been on a roll the last week with news reports, Vernon was even a prize destination on the price is right this week, although the contestant didn't win.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7540110/o...HxzvmNVEcEpvyc

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 26th 2020 at 6:39 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 12:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I’d never had a Caesar Cocktail prior to visiting Canada...it made some of the following all worthwhile ...
Old Dec 29th 2020, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Pretty interesting seeing someone on their first solo flight. Orange County Airport (South of Los Angeles, North of San Diego)

Old Dec 29th 2020, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

Translink (metro Vancouver regions public transit) was hit with ransomware attack a month or so ago and seems they still haven't gotten back to normal, their payroll system along with others was affected so they have been estimating what to pay workers, not able to pay out over-time, do pension deductions, tax deductions and usual payroll stuff.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...somware-attack
Old Dec 29th 2020, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Was looking at google street view of our address, most recent view is 2018 when they just started to clear the lot to build. But 2011,2012, 2013, 2014 photos all show the same for sale sign, but then no photos from 2014 to 2018, but seems the lot may have been on the market for a few years.

The lot next-door they are just finishing building more apartments (different company) the 2009 street view has sign for a coming soon for condos, guess that project fizzled.

I can tell exactly where our apartment unit is on the vacant lot as they left this one big mature tree that is there still from 2009, all the other trees are gone, but some reason they saved that 1 tree.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 9:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Was looking at google street view of our address, most recent view is 2018 ...
I've seen quite a few lately that are so recent that some of the people seen are wearing masks.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've seen quite a few lately that are so recent that some of the people seen are wearing masks.

I came across a few places in California that are from this summer, just depends when that google mobile drives past.

I was in the desert on a trip to the grand canyon with my dad, wife and sisters kids, and what are the chances the google car drives past...I was off taking photos so didn't make it into the picture, but my dad and his car did....
Old Dec 29th 2020, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I came across a few places in California that are from this summer, just depends when that google mobile drives past.

I was in the desert on a trip to the grand canyon with my dad, wife and sisters kids, and what are the chances the google car drives past...I was off taking photos so didn't make it into the picture, but my dad and his car did....
I was in a photo and didn't realize it at the time in Ottawa.

Another time, the Google Street View car went down our street and I was heading out and followed him. At the nearest traffic light I got his attention and asked when it would be updated. Needless to say they didn't upload the image of me leaning out the window speaking to the driver.

But I am here:

https://goo.gl/maps/v23ybgT89QfUtpWw6 and had about 5 seconds of lead time..so only managed to wave.

Just noticed I was parked in a no parking zone.

I did speak to a Google Street View driver a number of years ago and he told me about the job. It sounds quite interesting and enjoyable. If the weather gets too gloomy etc, Google HQ tell the drivers and they have to pull in.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Certainly would be an interesting job I would think. Nice looking neighborhood too. I have seen a few of the cars around Vancouver, but usually as they pass while I was inside a building...

I sometimes go back to places I know that have some quite early street view photos, amazing how much clearer the photos have become over the last 15 years.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I was in a photo and didn't realize it at the time in Ottawa.

Another time, the Google Street View car went down our street and I was heading out and followed him. At the nearest traffic light I got his attention and asked when it would be updated. Needless to say they didn't upload the image of me leaning out the window speaking to the driver.

But I am here:

https://goo.gl/maps/v23ybgT89QfUtpWw6 and had about 5 seconds of lead time..so only managed to wave.

Just noticed I was parked in a no parking zone.

I did speak to a Google Street View driver a number of years ago and he told me about the job. It sounds quite interesting and enjoyable. If the weather gets too gloomy etc, Google HQ tell the drivers and they have to pull in.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 10:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The street view pic on my street is about 5 years old. I think the Native Syndicate gang tag on the fence across the street has been there about 4 years and it isn't in the picture.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 11:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...the google car drives past...I was off taking photos so didn't make it into the picture, but my dad and his car did....
My stepson is seen cutting the grass in ours and in another view he's in our driveway. It's the same month/year and you can tell they passed both ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.