Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 2nd 2021, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Looks like opening the first Sushi place in San Diego in 1983 paid off for this lady, she is retiring now, but nice little story, she named her place Sushi Deli as she wasn't sure in 1983 if people would take to Sushi, so she sold sandwiches too at the time.

\
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This guy found himself homeless after doing the Pacific Coast Trail, he decided to live in a Uhaul Storage facility.

He seems to have lived in there for 2 months, luckily doesn't seem like he was caught, living in a storage unit is against the rules.

Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

People here choose to live in containers and buses. Containers are often used as living space.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS
People here choose to live in containers and buses. Containers are often used as living space.

Van life is getting popular in Canada, only problem is many city's have bylaws that prohibit living in a vehicle, so your not always welcome. But if you keep quiet and move everyday, you will probably be left alone, its those who sit in the same spot week after week that draw attention to themselves.

Some are in vans by choice as a lifestyle and others because they have no other options and its living in a vehicle or the streets.

If it were not for the high upfront costs, we have thought about said lifestyle, sock away 1600 a month, presto 3 years later down payment for a house.

I also don't know how people shower and use the bathroom, vans seem too small for those but maybe doable, and heat in winter and air con in summer, even in BC its too hot for living beings inside a vehicle without air con.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 5th 2021 at 10:04 am.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 12:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I also don't know how people shower and use the bathroom, vans seem too small
I once had a book about doing North America on the cheap. It recommended getting into motel rooms in the mornings after guests had left and before they were cleaned and made ready for the next people.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Need a good Chinese restaurant open on Monday and Tuesday.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

I do not believe I will be living in the year 2100. Although it would certainly be interesting to be able to do so.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I do not believe I will be living in the year 2100. Although it would certainly be interesting to be able to do so.
I doubt if anyone on this forum will be alive in 2100... I for one would be 131 years old in 2100. I fail to see the attraction in longevity of life unless accompanied by good quality of life. There's hardly a day goes by on the news at the moment where there isn't a segment on residents of old peoples' homes, and by God, what a miserable and decrepit bunch they look on the whole. Talk about 'waiting for God'... not for me, thank you.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:51 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I doubt if anyone on this forum will be alive in 2100... I for one would be 131 years old in 2100. I fail to see the attraction in longevity of life unless accompanied by good quality of life. There's hardly a day goes by on the news at the moment where there isn't a segment on residents of old peoples' homes, and by God, what a miserable and decrepit bunch they look on the whole. Talk about 'waiting for God'... not for me, thank you.
I'll be living then, but as a transhuman (no not that kind) in the cloud. Kinda like Homer on The Simposons when he became a screensaver. Looking forward to it.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:54 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I once had a book about doing North America on the cheap. It recommended getting into motel rooms in the mornings after guests had left and before they were cleaned and made ready for the next people.
Oooh that's grim

I once saw a suggestion (possibly in The Guardian) to reuse Christmas cards by crossing out previous messages as it would be economical and good for the environment, plus provide a fascinating history of past Christmas wishes shared. Didn't catch on.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 4:58 am
me/moi

You never know JS, you never know. Exponential change within 30 years. There's an idea (Ray Kurzweil) whereby you only need to be around long enough to benefit from therapies that will extend life by a few decades to be still living at the point where we can extend life indefinitely.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Oooh that's grim

I once saw a suggestion (possibly in The Guardian) to reuse Christmas cards by crossing out previous messages as it would be economical and good for the environment, plus provide a fascinating history of past Christmas wishes shared. Didn't catch on.
It did in our family Just the one card though, luckily it's a big one!

It started 15 years ago when one family member was doing it tough. She wrote the card to all the family and gave it to us at our Christmas gathering - the message she wrote in it was
Times are tough
Things are hard
Here's your *****ing Christmas card.

I mean, who could throw out a family heirloom like that? It brings the house down every year.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:18 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

It started 15 years ago when one family member was doing it tough. She wrote the card to all the family and gave it to us at our Christmas gathering - the message she wrote in it was
Times are tough
Things are hard

I mean, who could throw out a family heirloom like that? It brings the house down every year.
That does sound like a classic ! So has it done 15 Christmases at various households? Is it an Aussie card or a Liverpool one?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Times are tough
Things are hard

Priceless.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 6:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Oooh that's grim
Maybe not as grim if you're sleeping rough/in a car for days on end.

That sounds more like Viz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.