Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Shard
That would suggest that John Tyler had a son at around age 70 and that the son had the current (93 yo descendent) when he was around 70 ?!! Are you sure there's not a missing generation here?
They both had children late into their senior years. Siouxie's linked article goes into pretty good detail, both remarried after their first wives died, and both married women some 30 years their junior the 2nd time around.

Originally Posted by Shard
That really is a massive numbere of people ! Even by today's standards. What street is it?
The building that was climbed is located at the corner of Beatty and West Pender and from what I can find, the crowd is likely on Pender St.

Originally known as the world building, but in 1937 renamed the Sun Tower when The Vancouver Sun newspaper bought the building. When it was completed it was the tallest building in Vancouver and for its first year tallest in Canada.

Original address was 100 W Pender but in 2011 the City of Vancouver forced an address change to 128 W Pender.

Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:38 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They both had children late into their senior years. Siouxie's linked article goes into pretty good detail, both remarried after their first wives died, and both married women some 30 years their junior the 2nd time around.

The building that was climbed is located at the corner of Beatty and West Pender and from what I can find, the crowd is likely on Pender St.

Originally known as the world building, but in 1937 renamed the Sun Tower when The Vancouver Sun newspaper bought the building. When it was completed it was the tallest building in Vancouver and for its first year tallest in Canada.

Original address was 100 W Pender but in 2011 the City of Vancouver forced an address change to 128 W Pender.
Ok, thanks. Can't say that I recognise it.

Read Siouxie's article (quickly) seems an interesting histrory. Would have liked it if the writer had put a specific birth year in for the parent. Married again at 54, to a 24 yo and had a further 7 children, that would suggest 10-15 years (given the woman's age) making him 69 at the age of the last child (the parent of the grandson). Not sure if the math works. Maybe.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:39 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thansk for the link. Interesting.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose when religion keeps a married couple from being buried together, compromise has to be found. This one seems rather unique if true.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 5:22 pm
me/moi

Old Jan 10th 2021, 3:37 am
Account Closed

I had been feeling under the weather the last couple of days, didn't think much of it, woke up this morning and feels like someone has stabbed the inside of my ear and sliced down to my throat, only the one side. It's kind of a weird feeling, having one side of throat sore and the other side feels fine, and the side that hurts oh joy a cold sore too forming, guess my immune system is trying to fight off an infection and the cold sore virus took its opportunity to shine as well.

I see 1 walk in clinic open today, if I can get into see a doctor I will try, never know these days as some places make you talk to the doctor virtually first, but not sure an ear infection can be diagnosed over the phone, once they open I shall call and ask.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I see 1 walk in clinic open today, if I can get into see a doctor I will try, never know these days as some places make you talk to the doctor virtually first, but not sure an ear infection can be diagnosed over the phone, once they open I shall call and ask.
Good luck; hope you get in. I opted not to go to the doctor last week about my long-standing sore/dry throat because I have 3 appointments at Sask Polytechnic Dental this week, and they do screening for oral cancer first thing at every cleaning. If I need a referral to an otolaryngologist they'll give me one.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Good luck; hope you get in. I opted not to go to the doctor last week about my long-standing sore/dry throat because I have 3 appointments at Sask Polytechnic Dental this week, and they do screening for oral cancer first thing at every cleaning. If I need a referral to an otolaryngologist they'll give me one.
Hit and miss these days which doctors offices will let you go in person, haven't gone to any of the clinics here yet so not sure of their policies, but once they open, I shall call them.

I don't think its anything serious like cancer, I think its an ear infection draining into the throat since its all on one side, I can't see anything in my throat where it hurts, no swollen tonsils, no white stuff, but I am not a doctor but I always like to see if I can see anything weird.

Looking at Dr google it could be anything from ear infection, tooth infection, tonsil infection and every other sort of infection possible, don't think its a tooth though causing it as I have no pain in any tooth, hopefully not, dental issues are way more difficult to deal with $$$ if you know what I mean, so hopefully just an ear infection.

Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still have your wisdom teeth J? I know dentists in the US like to pull them when you are in your teens.

A few years ago my daughter had dreadful pain in her face, neck and ear. She thought it was an ear infection. Her doctor advised her to see a dentist. The dentist said it was a wisdom tooth that had become infected, although the tooth itself didn’t hurt. She had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted and ended up with a dislocated jaw.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you still have your wisdom teeth J? I know dentists in the US like to pull them when you are in your teens.

A few years ago my daughter had dreadful pain in her face, neck and ear. She thought it was an ear infection. Her doctor advised her to see a dentist. The dentist said it was a wisdom tooth that had become infected, although the tooth itself didn’t hurt. She had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted and ended up with a dislocated jaw.

I have them still they came through about 20 years ago or so. Could be a dental issue, but doctors are cheaper so I start with the doctor and go from there, if its dental it will have to wait.

Old Jan 10th 2021, 6:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have them still they came through about 20 years ago or so. Could be a dental issue, but doctors are cheaper so I start with the doctor and go from there, if its dental it will have to wait.
If it’s a wisdom tooth infection, like my daughter had, it really cannot wait. She was in a lot of pain, couldn’t sleep and had to take a course of antibiotics for the infection, before the tooth could be extracted. She had all 4 removed.

Old Jan 10th 2021, 7:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If it’s a wisdom tooth infection, like my daughter had, it really cannot wait. She was in a lot of pain, couldn’t sleep and had to take a course of antibiotics for the infection, before the tooth could be extracted. She had all 4 removed.
It's the thing will dental, a dental emergency isn't considered healthcare so many end up not being able to get proper treatment to deal with it. There does appear to be 1 free/low cost dental clinic in Kelowna, it might be an option if needed depending on what they consider a simple extraction to be, not sure wisdom teeth fall into that category, but I don't know for sure. They don't say what their income cut off is, but there is an income assessment that is required before they can provide any services, sounds like it could be several weeks process just for the screening part.

I will give them a call tomorrow and inquire. Not 100% sure if they still exist, an article from a couple years back I found saying they were closing, but its still on their website and the website looks current since it has a COVID screening sheet on it, so I think they are still open.

I do wonder if dentists will see someone with a sore throat though, the dentist I was supposed to see in November and last week cancelled my appointments due first time having a cough, and 2nd time (last week) a bit of a sore throat so didn't pass the COVID screening. But maybe in a dental emergency they are less strict. or one has to wait until it becomes a true emergency and not just discomfort/pain. Not sure how dentists are deciding.

I do know 1 person who had a wicked bad tooth infection once, but couldn't afford the dentist and the wait list at the free clinic in his town was like 7 months long, eventually got so bad it became a medical emergency and was treated in hospital, and surgery in hospital to remove the tooth, and treat the infection which had spread, but really things should have to get the bad before people can have dental issues dealt with.

I did call the walk in clinic, have to talk to a doctor via phone first, which may not be today, and then if the doctor needs or wants to see me, I will go to the clinic.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 10th 2021 at 7:09 am.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 7:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It's the thing will dental, a dental emergency isn't considered healthcare so many end up not being able to get proper treatment to deal with it. There does appear to be 1 free/low cost dental clinic in Kelowna, it might be an option if needed depending on what they consider a simple extraction to be, not sure wisdom teeth fall into that category, but I don't know for sure. They don't say what their income cut off is, but there is an income assessment that is required before they can provide any services, sounds like it could be several weeks process just for the screening part.

I will give them a call tomorrow and inquire. Not 100% sure if they still exist, an article from a couple years back I found saying they were closing, but its still on their website and the website looks current since it has a COVID screening sheet on it, so I think they are still open.

I do wonder if dentists will see someone with a sore throat though, the dentist I was supposed to see in November and last week cancelled my appointments due first time having a cough, and 2nd time (last week) a bit of a sore throat so didn't pass the COVID screening. But maybe in a dental emergency they are less strict. or one has to wait until it becomes a true emergency and not just discomfort/pain. Not sure how dentists are deciding.

I do know 1 person who had a wicked bad tooth infection once, but couldn't afford the dentist and the wait list at the free clinic in his town was like 7 months long, eventually got so bad it became a medical emergency and was treated in hospital, and surgery in hospital to remove the tooth, and treat the infection which had spread, but really things should have to get the bad before people can have dental issues dealt with.

I did call the walk in clinic, have to talk to a doctor via phone first, which may not be today, and then if the doctor needs or wants to see me, I will go to the clinic.
Maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. You are right, see what the doctor says first.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 3:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 10th 2021, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker

good one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.