Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Nothing in Oz scares me as much as bears, not that I've ever seen one
I have seen a fair share of bears since living in BC, most of them when living in Squamish, you can't live in Squamish without running into a bear a few times a year, may even find a few hanging out in your backyard, my MIL is always sending photos of bears and deer, and cougars walking through her back yard, that town has a whole lot of bears living in it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 4th 2021 at 6:22 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have seen a fair share of bears since living in BC, most of them when living in Squamish, you can't live in Squamish without running into a bear a few times a year, may even find a few hanging out in your backyard, my MIL is always sending photos of bears and deer, and cougars walking through her back yard, that town has a whole lot of bears living in it.
Saw bears near where we lived in NJ…coyotes and deer frequented our land. Coyotes are becoming a big problem in Toronto…we often see them near the house. We saw one walking across one of the city’s main roads one evening.

I hear they are going to start culling the coyotes in Stanley Park.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2021 at 6:30 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

*note to self* Cross Squamish off bucket list.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Saw bears near where we lived in NJ…coyotes and deer frequented our land. Coyotes are becoming a big problem in Toronto…we often see them near the house. We saw one walking across one of the city’s main roads one evening.

I think they're going to trap and euthanize 35 to start and see how that changes the numbers of encounters. If they could catch the ass-clowns that are leaving dogfood out for them and fine the daylights out of them it might help too.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The occasional Groundhog is as wild as it gets in our backyard.

Also, the occasional Groundhog is as wild as it gets in our backyard.

Spoiler:

Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Coyotes are all over Vancouver, the Stanley Park ones are getting a little too brazen though and attacks have gotten worse, so its to a point it can't be ignored at this point or someone may end up dead, the other parts of Vancouver I don't think the Coyotes cause many issues and generally avoid people, but cats are on their menu, and you will see in the coyote areas of the city more missing cat flyers than in parts with fewer coyotes.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

*note to self* Cross Squamish off bucket list.
Just go in January, the bears are not around, its still nice in winter, different type of things to do and see, summer is overrated.

Old Sep 5th 2021, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

cyanoacrylate glue sold as super glue under various brands, is aquarium safe well not to hold an aquarium together, but to hold plants down, or coral to the rockwork, wont hurt fish, and cures almost instantly in water, downside you have about 10-20 seconds from the time it enters the water to the time it will no longer stick.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing in Oz scares me as much as bears, not that I've ever seen one
When we were living down there in 75/76, we took a driving holiday up to Cairns and back. Someone OH knew told us "we must drop in to see his parents, who had a cane and fruit tree acreage in Queensland". Unfortunately he forgot to tell them, so they had no idea who these 3 people were knocking at the door, but were most hospitable.

They were post war immigrants from Europe (Yugoslavia, I think), living in a lovely typical old Queensland house. We were told to sit around in the living room, with no lights on, while the mother cooked dinner. The men, father and a couple of sons, soon started telling us stories of crocodiles, etc, hoping to scare us. We waited quietly, and when they'd finished OH just casually mentioned how careful we had to be when going camping, putting ur food in bags to hang from trees, because of the bears, and what might happen if we left the food on the camp table or, heaven forbid, in the tent.

We had THEM squirming. looking under chairs, and into dark corners.

We never told them how OH jumped when he went to the loo in the middle of the night ............... having to go out the back door as the loo was separate from the house as was so common back then ............. lifted the lid and a cane toad was staring up at him
Old Sep 5th 2021, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Coyotes are all over Vancouver, the Stanley Park ones are getting a little too brazen though and attacks have gotten worse, so its to a point it can't be ignored at this point or someone may end up dead, the other parts of Vancouver I don't think the Coyotes cause many issues and generally avoid people, but cats are on their menu, and you will see in the coyote areas of the city more missing cat flyers than in parts with fewer coyotes.
If we are out at the right time in the evening, we quite regularly see 1 or 2 coyotes strolling calmly down our street, usually going from east to west.

They gave some new neighbours one heck of a shock soon after they moved in about 6 months ago.

They don't bother us if we don't bother them. But never be so daft as to have a cat that runs free or even a small dog, or it won't live long.

As Jsmith said, notices re missing cats or small dogs are often posted on trees and poles. There's never much hope of finding any trace of them, not even bits of fur or bones.

We live in the southern part of the city, with houses on small lots, so you would not normally think you would see lots of wild animals. The streets are well treed, along the sidewalks, but gardens are generally small and open. But we have coyotes regularly, as well as raccoons and skunks.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Same really in San Diego, coyotes are all over, especially in the canyon areas of the city, every so often someone will stumble upon an old coyote den there and find collars and remains of pets but I wouldn't call such a find common, but seems to be a trend in the western US as well, especially So. California with urban coyotes becoming more aggressive and losing their fear of humans, as far I as I know in US and Canada fatal attacks are extremely rare and maybe in single digits, I know of 2 fatal attacks, 1981 in Los Angeles when a 3 year girl was taken by a coyote in her front yard, her father was able to chase the coyote down and get her to hospital but she died 4 hours into surgery, had a broken neck from the attack.

In 2009 a 19 year old in Nova Scotia was mauled by a pack of coyotes and killed, she is the only known adult to ever been killed by one, she was in Cape Breton's Highland National Park.

I try to avoid them, they stay away from me, I will stay away from them, and we never let our dog outside alone or off leash as too much risk, she is small enough to where a bald eagle could even take her for a meal.

Looks like a good chunk of the non-fatal attacks on adults in California were either joggers, or people with a dog and got attacked when protecting their dog.

Originally Posted by scilly
If we are out at the right time in the evening, we quite regularly see 1 or 2 coyotes strolling calmly down our street, usually going from east to west.

They gave some new neighbours one heck of a shock soon after they moved in about 6 months ago.

They don't bother us if we don't bother them. But never be so daft as to have a cat that runs free or even a small dog, or it won't live long.

As Jsmith said, notices re missing cats or small dogs are often posted on trees and poles. There's never much hope of finding any trace of them, not even bits of fur or bones.

We live in the southern part of the city, with houses on small lots, so you would not normally think you would see lots of wild animals. The streets are well treed, along the sidewalks, but gardens are generally small and open. But we have coyotes regularly, as well as raccoons and skunks.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 3:07 am
Account Closed

I really like his 2,000 gallon aquarium, its such a perfect size for a nice collection of fish.

Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I keep a box of white and a box of Bodacious smooth red, these days - it's not bad .. (although I much prefer Henry of Pelham Baco Noir Family Reserve or Old Vines).
Hey, that Bodacious isn't bad. I bought a tin (god help me ) a few days ago and MIL, SD and me all had a (very) small glass with roast lamb. We'll 'risk' a bottle next time.

It's rare for me to enjoy a wine these days let alone one that three of us find drinkable.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

It would be nice if annual inspections for things could just be done all on the same day, would surely be nicer for tenants rather than constantly needing to rearrange their schedule to accommodate, life of a renter.

Old Sep 7th 2021, 10:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hey, that Bodacious isn't bad.
I don't like it. It's blended beyond all recognition (blended wines are no problem, but should still have some character) and it's just too sweet. I'd cook with it if given some. My $9 - $11 bottles are stuff like Copper Moon Merlot or whites like Yellow Tail or Copper Moon Chardonnay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.