Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PR's don't want to pledge

PR's don't want to pledge

Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR's don't want to pledge

Canada is one of the more liberal countries in offering citizenship to others.
It does not ask you to denounce citizenship of the country you are a citizen of unlike the USA. Canadian citizens who become citizens of another country do not lose their Canadian citizenship unlike some other countries whose citizens become a citizen of another country.
Basically the biggest complaint from Johnny Foreigner wanting to become a Canadian citizen is that they swear allegiance to the Queen.
If the country you are a citizen of states if you take up Canadian citizenship you will lose that countries citizenship then you cant blame that on Canada.
Im betting those with DUAL citizenship would likely invoke Canadian citizenship if the country they are also a citizen of now made it mandatory for them to carry out National service or pay monies to that country

These are the current rules so accept them or **** Off back to your own country. You asked to come here, Canada didn't ask you. Just say the words and that's it you get citizenship even if you really don't mean what you say.
When was the last time the Queen invoked some law or had a say in how Canada is to be run?
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:48 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
But that is the Canadian way.
Isn't that the whole point in a nut shell, so to speak ?

If they change it then that's good too, it's just the way they do it round here, like turning right on a red. You wouldn't just sit there and shout "they don't do this in Bassingstoke, so I pledge my alegence to British Road rule here and now"

:@)
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Isn't that the whole point in a nut shell, so to speak ?

If they change it then that's good too, it's just the way they do it round here, like turning right on a red. You wouldn't just sit there and shout "they don't do this in Bassingstoke, so I pledge my alegence to British Road rule here and now"

:@)
They don't even turn right on red in Quebec and that's even part of Canada
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You beat me to it.

(Although it's an argument frequently put forward by my mum too.)
I must work with your mum then
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They don't even turn right on red in Quebec and that's even part of Canada
They do. Er don't they cos I did.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I might be mistaken and apologize if already this is in effect

The coming into effect of the right turn on red allows Québec to harmonize its regulation concerning vehicular traffic with that of other North American road authorities. It also presents a unique opportunity for Québec drivers to show their civic-mindedness and courtesy toward other road users.

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...oite_feu_rouge

I know the last time I was in Quebec a couple of years ago you couldn't.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:10 pm
limey party pooper

I might be mistaken and apologize if already this is in effect

The coming into effect of the right turn on red allows Québec to harmonize its regulation concerning vehicular traffic with that of other North American road authorities. It also presents a unique opportunity for Québec drivers to show their civic-mindedness and courtesy toward other road users.

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...oite_feu_rouge

I know the last time I was in Quebec a couple of years ago you couldn't.
I think the Quebeckers still drive as if you can't!v
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Im betting those with DUAL citizenship would likely invoke Canadian citizenship if the country they are also a citizen of now made it mandatory for them to carry out National service or pay monies to that country
Perhaps, but then this would have some relevance.
What relevance is there in pledging allegiance to the queen? How does this affect a citizen but not a PR?
Just say the words and that's it you get citizenship even if you really don't mean what you say.
So why not just do away with it then if it's that irrelevant?
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It does not ask you to denounce citizenship of the country you are a citizen of unlike the USA.
Aside from being an irrelevance, I suspect MarylandNed, who frequently delights in informing us that he has US/UK/Ca/NI (or was that Irish?) citizenship, might disagree.

What the US (rather intrusively) doesn't allow their citizens to give up is filing annual tax returns as non-residents.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps, but then this would have some relevance.
What relevance is there in pledging allegiance to the queen? How does this affect a citizen but not a PR?

So why not just do away with it then if it's that irrelevant?
If the Govt wishes to do away with this requirement then they will amend the legislation. There is no desire by the Govt to actually do this just individuals. Talk is cheap actions speak louder than words.
It doesn't affect a PR as they cant vote in an election nor apply for a passport.
If they want these then they need to swear allegiance and also not be deported if they commit criminal acts.
if they don't agree with this then WHY do they want citizenship? Im sure the Irish guy has a passport unless he REALLY wants to vote or is a criminal and could get deported which I don't think is the case.
Notice the Irish don't bitch about being able to claim benefits in the UK as they are EU members.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't affect a PR as they cant vote in an election nor apply for a passport.
If they want these then they need to swear allegiance
Yes, but why? Something better than "that's the way it is" please.

What is there about this magical pledging allegiance to an irrelevance that promotes PR to Citizen?

Why a separate category anyway? With all the hoops one jumps through to get PR status why the need for something beyond that?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the other country I suppose, but the US requires taxes to be filed every year for those of us with Citizenship but not living there, and they did require me to sign up for selective service.

But I wont give up US Citizenship, too valuable to give up, but when the time comes I will apply for Canadian so I can vote.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:53 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

The chance to take the oath would be a good thing, still waiting after applying in 2010
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

newstart187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of the promise Paul Daniels made if Tony Blair of elected - to leave the country immediately. He didn't even sacrifice Debbie.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

They can. It's not allowed anywhere on Montreal Island but elsewhere it is permitted unless there is a sign specifically prohibiting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.