Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PR's don't want to pledge

PR's don't want to pledge

Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR's don't want to pledge

she was the last heir to inherit the throne is what i meant to say

anyway, she's technically not the correct monarch of the UK...something to do with the Act Of Union in the early 1700s and the highland clearances etc...my knowledge on the subject is sketchy at best, it was Primary school history when i learned about it
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:55 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
If I want citizenship in Canada and was eeligible then I'd have to do it, but that part of the oath would be a somewhat........ Empty pledge.

You could even cross your fingers behind your back while doing it, if that would make you feel better.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:18 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I read about this situation this morning.
How long has this requirement to pledge and oath to the Queen been part of the process? I'm guessing a fair few years.

If you want to become a Citizen, take the pledge, if you don't want to pledge, don't expect to be given special dispensation. Rules are rules people!

As others have said, it's not as if this is some big secret, the application guide mentions what will happen, so if you object to it, why apply in the first place?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
she was the last heir to inherit the throne is what i meant to say

anyway, she's technically not the correct monarch of the UK...something to do with the Act Of Union in the early 1700s and the highland clearances etc...my knowledge on the subject is sketchy at best, it was Primary school history when i learned about it
I believe the present queen is actually a descendent of Mary Queen of Scots.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I believe the present queen is actually a descendent of Mary Queen of Scots.
like i say, i can't remember much about it, but i'm pretty sure the rightful descendants were from a completely different line of lineage to oor Betty Queen
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
like i say, i can't remember much about it, but i'm pretty sure the rightful descendants were from a completely different line of lineage to oor Betty Queen
Well. That's just silly, rightful descendents. The king or queen is (well as, now it's all down to laws and stuff) whoever has the right friends. Thry may like to think they are entitled and couch it in phrases such as divine right but it's all an overblownm sense of entitlement.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny from a point of view as I used to be quite the royalist, but then I had children and decided to be against anyone holding a position the my children couldn't attain through hard work and dedication.
I think the Royal Family serve to remind us that life isn't fair, that hard work and dedication will never be as valuable as good connections and that we should limit our aspirations to those reasonable for ourselves. This isn't America.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:18 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the Royal Family serve to remind us that life isn't fair, that hard work and dedication will never be as valuable as good connections and that we should limit our aspirations to those reasonable for ourselves. This isn't America.
We should know our place.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Actually, no you haven't. The oath is allegiance to the Queen of Canada not the Queen of Great Britain, Northern Ireland,etc etc. They may be the same person but the meaning is different.
Originally Posted by JonboyE
Quite. I found it strange being asked to swear an oath of loyalty to her when I was already supposed to be loyal as a result of being born on her lands.

Mrs. JonboyE had to swear an oath of loyalty twice. Once to become British and again to become Canadian. She is obviously twice as loyal as me. At least she doesn't throw things at the TV whenever it mentions the impending birth.
Maybe we just need to be reminded occasionally Jonboy!

Interesting though that the oath is to the Queen of Canada... In that case it is really an Oath to Canada rather that the Queen per se... Unless Betty has multiple personalities... Lol
Old Jul 13th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cjones
You could even cross your fingers behind your back while doing it, if that would make you feel better.
They let you do that? Phew, I thought they'd surround you with armed guards watching for any false actions.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 11:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They let you do that? Phew, I thought they'd surround you with armed guards watching for any false actions.
I just stood next to a ventriloquist.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

Iirc every monarch since Henry VI is decsended from John of Gaunt (might be wrong Henry, I deal more with their bones than their history! :s)
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:59 pm
limey party pooper

They do, well they walk around watching to see if everyone is speaking, so I suppose you could just say 'rhubarb'
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Using that same analogy, PRs and

I'm not bothered either way - apart from believing that PR's (with a qualification period) should be able to vote without the need of citizenship.

d.
Couldn't agree more Bristol.

On these three dissenters...evidently some lawyer was plain bored and looking for a bit of airtime, but the sad sods who were the only three stooges he could find were completely risible. The woman who said the she couldn't support the Queen because the UK was "the leader of the slave trade" had me cringing.

My worry is that Canada won't just say Bye-bye, but will start hand wringing and look for some loophole to accommodate them.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If they won't play by Canadian rules, you should send them back to Long Kesh and Abu Ghraib to learn some manners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.