PM Boris

Old Sep 27th 2019, 11:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by dave_j
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49812519
Q. Many have asked. Explain what benefits can you possibly gain from Leaving the EU?
Yes, please do. Not waffle about bonding with Trump's America. Actual gains.

I've understood your "people want it because they want it" line of argument but I don't believe that all the Leavers are that stupid. Some of them must have identified a reason why they'd be better off.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 27th 2019 at 11:28 am.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's not true. People in Paris don't speak Euro, they speak French. People in Span don't speak Euro either. The analogy with the US and Canada is flawed because the US and Canada are culturally the same as each other; there's no difference at risk. There are differences between regions, Louisiana isn't like Minnesota though Quebec's like Florida but, overall, the difference between the regions is greater than the differences between the countries.
And New Orleans is culturally different to bayou country, even though they're both in Louisiana.

Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, please do. Not waffle about bonding with Trump's America. Actual gains.

I've understood your "people want it because they want it" line of argument but I don't believe that all the Leavers are that stupid. Some of them must have identified a reason why they'd be better off.
They want to take back control, especially to Parliament. They're not keen that foreign judges make all our laws.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
And New Orleans is culturally different to bayou country, even though they're both in Louisiana.
Well, yes, places have distinct cultural identities independent of the political system and, in any case, the US is a union of States in which States Rights are hotly debated just as, in the EU, national and minority rights are debated. Some places in America will always be bilingual English/Spanish even though the US has one official language just as, in Canada, all of the country is "bilingual" but French helps little in London ON. Governments can only do so much in the face of an unruly populace. The decline in distinct local cultures is a function of corporate branding, slavish mentalities and the internet, not of the EU; De Gaulle didn't invent McDonalds.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of EU federalism. That's understandable, considering many other Leavers do too.
Just the leavers, or do you accept that many remainers and, I would suggest, most of the UK electorate would not be able to pass an EU constitutional law exam?
Old Sep 27th 2019, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

How the EU views outsiders...

Old Sep 27th 2019, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jimf
How the EU views outsiders...

https://youtu.be/Q28_QUnrCVw
I watched that without sound but, in my head, the dreadlocked cart-wheeler arrived to a background of Haddaway.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 2:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Just the leavers, or do you accept that many remainers and, I would suggest, most of the UK electorate would not be able to pass an EU constitutional law exam?
Do you accept that most Leavers wouldn't even pass the Life in the UK test?
Old Sep 27th 2019, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
So you believe that as all American States use the dollar & follow Federal law there is no cultural diversity among the different States?

Presumably you support the break up of the UK (& possibly England) due to the cultural differences across the region's?
There are marginal diferences between the states in the US, but comparing that to the differing cultures of each country in Europe is like comparing apples and oranges. The Untied States has grown together as a country, because it was born as one country....and in comparitive terns is a new country. Europe and the countries and the individual cultures they possess in comparison is ancient.....1000+ years. How can those cultures be expected to harmonious after less than 50 years....what suits Germany certainly wont suit Greece....their culture is the polar opposite.

The United Kingdom is a different case all together - of which I am a staunch supporter of the UK staying together,. it would be a very very sad day if the UK broke up. When I lived in England, I referred to myself as British first English second. The United Kingdom has been one country for over 400 years, and to all intents and purposes.... one culture....a British one...as we have been together for so long. I have found a good example of this living here in Canada......the first expats to band together are English Scottish Welsh and even Irish to an extent..... and we compare cultural diffrences between Britain and Canada (just like we do on this site).... I haven't seen many examples of a Brit and and an Italiian comparing notes or a Brit and a Spaniard, thats because their cultures are so different.

I love Europe and the Europeans, but I dont understand the United States of Europe concept....maybe some time in the far future, but trying to force such close union in such a short space of time, wont work, and there is no requirement for it other than trade.

But as I said earlier, this is a political subject and people will always see things very differently, its human nature.... whats that old saying...never discuss politics or religion in the pub!! A great rule.

. .
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do you accept that most Leavers wouldn't even pass the Life in the UK test?
Not if it had been set by you
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
....but once Britain has gone, it only takes one more major member state to leave and it will be the end of the EU as we know it.... .
Do you think the people of any country are willing to experience the last three years that the UK has?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's an interesting question but I suspect that the people failing to reach a pass mark would be split into two groups. Those not knowing an answer or only some of the answers and the other group believing the wrong answer.

The first group would be far more likely and willing to discover the correct answers than the second group who would be utterly convinced that theiir answer was right and that anything else was fake news.

That's my unbiased opinion anyway.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
:

It's an interesting question but I suspect that the people failing to reach a pass mark would be split into two groups. Those not knowing an answer or only some of the answers and the other group believing the wrong answer.

The first group would be far more likely and willing to discover the correct answers than the second group who would be utterly convinced that theiir answer was right and that anything else was fake news.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

There are marginal diferences between the states in the US, but comparing that to the differing cultures of each country in Europe is like comparing apples and oranges. The Untied States has grown together as a country, because it was born as one country....and in comparitive terns is a new country. Europe and the countries and the individual cultures they possess in comparison is ancient.....1000+ years. How can those cultures be expected to harmonious after less than 50 years....what suits Germany certainly wont suit Greece....their culture is the polar opposite.

The United Kingdom is a different case all together - of which I am a staunch supporter of the UK staying together,.

. .
But Brexit risks breaking up the UK. Scotland may leave, Ireland may be unified - remaining risks neither.

The other half of this argument, that Greece and Germany cannot live harmoniously within the EU would seem disproven by history but how would they be more harmonious if one of them left?

Again, I'm not seeing a benefit to leave. The only one advanced so far is the dubious benefit of being able to keep out more of the foreigns.

Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The United Kingdom is a different case all together - of which I am a staunch supporter of the UK staying together,. it would be a very very sad day if the UK broke up. When I lived in England, I referred to myself as British first English second. The United Kingdom has been one country for over 400 years, and to all intents and purposes.... one culture....a British one...as we have been together for so long. I have found a good example of this living here in Canada......the first expats to band together are English Scottish Welsh and even Irish to an extent..... and we compare cultural diffrences between Britain and Canada (just like we do on this site).... I haven't seen many examples of a Brit and and an Italiian comparing notes or a Brit and a Spaniard, thats because their cultures are so different.

I love Europe and the Europeans, but I dont understand the United States of Europe concept....maybe some time in the far future, but trying to force such close union in such a short space of time, wont work, and there is no requirement for it other than trade.

But as I said earlier, this is a political subject and people will always see things very differently, its human nature.... whats that old saying...never discuss politics or religion in the pub!! A great rule.

. .
Your knowledge & perceptions are way off the mark.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:50 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Your knowledge & perceptions are way off the mark.
Yes, way off. TBF, Paul lives in Canada, and as he has explained, many of his UK relatives are Leavers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.