Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

Originally Posted by MillieF
Can you clarify this comment please?

The point was, you understand and are understood in the culture of a British town/village, plus they'd probably welcome you with open arms. Something like the local school, library, tea shop, pub, corner shop or some local industry, anyway someone would find something for you to do.

Plus, I was obviously inebriated and was talking bollocks, so that's about as much clarification as one could expect.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 20th 2016 at 4:37 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 2:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The point was, you understand and are understood in the culture of a British town/village, plus they'd probably welcome you with open arms. Something like the local school, library, tea shop, pub, corner shop or some local industry, anyway someone would find something for you to do.

Plus, I was obviously inebriated and was talking bollocks, so that's about as much clarification as one could expect.
Understood completely....no further clarification needed
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if this will post. Why do I keep getting sent to home page when trying to read or post?

This thread is the first I have been able to access today.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I dont know if this will post. Why do I keep getting sent to home page when trying to read or post?

This thread is the first I have been able to access today.
For a very short time yesterday something seemed amiss and I thought I'd forgotten how things worked.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario is on the list of possibilities, we are just working on possibly ways for me to go there and live and wife stays in BC. But we need to save money first since I would need some living expenses and housing and likely wouldn't have any income straight away.

Another option is trying to work out some sort of way to do it in BC and pay for it, I am still waiting to hear back if what I asked for is possible. (meeting therapist 1 to 2 times per months instead of the 4 they normally do.)

Provided her employer keeps her on after 3 month mark next month, wife will get extended benefits which could possibly cover some mental health stuff, but we won't know for sure until next month or June.

Originally Posted by Shard
I haven't really been following this thread, but I do have a general sense of your issues. One thing I have noticed, JS, is that your thinking is often mixed up. Presumably, that is a byproduct of the mental condition that you have. Obviously this is not a criticism of your thinking pattern, but an observation.

From your many posts on your big issues: the need for therapy, the need for a stable home, the need for a decent job, the need for skills training to get the decent job (and afford the stable home) there seems to be one glaring/key issue at the root of it. That's therapy.

I recall from a past discussion that you said Ontario offers the best therapy provision. If that's the case, you need to prioritise and get to Ontario and put all your efforts into getting therapy. Obviously much easier said than done, when you have no or low income, rental problems, etc etc, but from all that you have been writing here, that seems to be your best pathway.

Unless your condition lessens with age (?) it seems to be disruptive enough that it will interfere with getting jobs and/or taking further education. You need to stabilise first, and if therapy is the way to achieve that, you need to focus on getting therapy. Maybe it won't seem that way to you now, if you are in an anxious phase, but think about it when you are very calm and determine if this is the right pathway for you.

I know there are many many obstacles for you to move to Ontario, because you have explained this previously. However, it can be a longer term project, you can aim to go in a year's time. The important thing, IMO, is that you start focussing on ONE priority: getting the therapy you want and need. The housing, job, educational training seems to be distracting you, and preventing you from focussing on the critical healthcare.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:35 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario is on the list of possibilities, we are just working on possibly ways for me to go there and live and wife stays in BC. But we need to save money first since I would need some living expenses and housing and likely wouldn't have any income straight away.

Another option is trying to work out some sort of way to do it in BC and pay for it, I am still waiting to hear back if what I asked for is possible. (meeting therapist 1 to 2 times per months instead of the 4 they normally do.)

Provided her employer keeps her on after 3 month mark next month, wife will get extended benefits which could possibly cover some mental health stuff, but we won't know for sure until next month or June.
That's positive. Pursuing therapy does seem the best way, as hard as it is to obtain. Take a long view, people say 'life is short' but it's not, actually, it's long.
Even by adopting such a simple change of expression, you can alleviate much stress.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:50 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

You cant get those sorts of jobs without training.
Sure you can. Example attached. The education required is "high school/GED preferred"
Attached Thumbnails New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income-costco2.png  
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Costco isnt the norm though and rather limited in locations.

But yes Costo I have heard pays okay if you stay long term.

Unfortunantly we have no Costco in Chilliwack.

If we did, I would apply.

Now do they offer part time?

Originally Posted by orly
Sure you can. Example attached. The education required is "high school/GED preferred"
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:13 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Costco isnt the norm though and rather limited in locations.

But yes Costo I have heard pays okay if you stay long term.

Unfortunantly we have no Costco in Chilliwack.

If we did, I would apply.

Now do they offer part time?
Yep you can work part time.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Have to keep them in mind if they ever open a store in town, or we move to a city with one.

Originally Posted by orly
Yep you can work part time.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to keep them in mind if they ever open a store in town, or we move to a city with one.
Be aware that very many people want a job at Costco. Have a well formatted resume, be prompt, wear a suit and tie, have sharp answers to all likely questions - the competition will be doing all of that.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

Yes, I imagine Costco is in great demand. Not sure any retailer is on the level they are pay wise.

I would imagine if Wal Mart has large numbers of people show up for a 11/hr job with no real future, then Costco would be insane.

I would try Costco if it ever arises, but I would not have high hopes of actually securing a job.

The places that hire me are the bottom of the barrel who just take anyone with a pulse. Well other then my first job at the SD Zoo, but I was 16 and never had a job. I excelled there though, but I got the airline itch which was a good experience, but its been downhill since then....

Originally Posted by dbd33
Be aware that very many people want a job at Costco. Have a well formatted resume, be prompt, wear a suit and tie, have sharp answers to all likely questions - the competition will be doing all of that.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:18 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I imagine Costco is in great demand. Not sure any retailer is on the level they are pay wise.

I would imagine if Wal Mart has large numbers of people show up for a 11/hr job with no real future, then Costco would be insane.

I would try Costco if it ever arises, but I would not have high hopes of actually securing a job.

The places that hire me are the bottom of the barrel who just take anyone with a pulse. Well other then my first job at the SD Zoo, but I was 16 and never had a job. I excelled there though, but I got the airline itch which was a good experience, but its been downhill since then....
Sadly you will never get anywhere with an attitude like that
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Its just the facts.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Sadly you will never get anywhere with an attitude like that
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:55 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Its just the facts.
It is also clearly an attitude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.