Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

Old Apr 18th 2016, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

As they say, it is what it is. Just have to hope things will change in the future.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

To re-visit the aspect of whether the over privileged will find some way of selfishly manipulating it to their favour or whether taxes will rise to cover costs, apparently it's being paid for by switching the funds from a now ended tax credit that was already benefiting the over privileged.

Money being moved from the rich who don't need it to people who do. Now there's a novel idea.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Of all mental health issues borderline is one of the most if not most stigmatized out there both by the general public as well as mental health professionals.
With all due respect, & a bucketful of experience, the 'general public' has no clue about the existence of BPD. The general public DOESN'T stigmatise it : they've never even *heard* of it. And most likely DGAF.

The public system of course by and large finds the cost of treating the disorder too high. There are exceptions of course and there are some very good programs just the access to them isnt universal and boils down to where you live.
I took the liberty of doing a bit of research: the Chilliwack Mental Health centre has a decent reputation. And can refer to some very good (free) resources for both therapy & job-searching/finding for people in your situation.

I am on an antidepressant that does nothing for me. Ive been on it so long coming off is complicated and not something one wants to do cold turkey.

Ive asked to wean off them but the GPs have been hesitant.
I can't remember if it was with you that I discussed Effexor &/or similar? It *is* possible to self-wean, but it's a long (VERY) slow process & it can take a while for a brain to recover. NB: I am not necessarily advocating "cold turkey" or "self-weaning".

I dont even know why I am on the medication and I havent seen the doctor who started me on it in 5 years and only saw that doctor when I was in hospital. Never sae that doctor as an out patient.
Then you should find out! . ASAP. The wrong medication could be causing more problems than it is intended to solve!!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Live with a mental health issue and see how people treat you and stigmitize you.

They may not know names of disorders but people do treat the mentally ill very poorly.

Hence why people keep it a secret much of the time and have to constantly pretend to be happy and normal and that is purely exhausting both mentally and physically.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2016 at 7:36 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Live with a mental health issue and see how people treat you and stigmitize you.

They may not know names of disorders but people do treat the mentally ill very poorly. Hence why people keep it a secret much of the time.

Mental health does offers programs however they do not offer what I need.

Specifically long term DBT based individual therapy.

I already contacted mental health and was offered nothing more then a generic weekly group through I have been through more then once.

I know what I need and its long term therapy as this has been what every psychiatrist has told me for the last 6 years.

I just need to learn to accept I have no future and learn to prtend to be happy so people dont become annoyed.

Re bolded: I do. Every damn day of my life.

Your last sentence is manipulative &, to be polite, BS.

I'm clearly not helping, so will bow out of this thread.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Its pretty clear to me few if anyone here understands what borderline and related disorders are truly like to live with.

There seems to be this understanding that those with it, can just fix everything and move on with life.

It's exhausting pure and simple.

The only time I have ANY relief is when I am sleeping. Likely one reason I sleep so much, to not feel the emotional pain and burden.

When I say stigma, its evident sometimes people have no idea they are even stigmatizing people by the words they say.

And shows the uphill battle people with this disorder face.

Those who are well trained and versed in borderline and similar disorders know people with borderline do not do what we do on purpose, we have lived with issues and have had to adapt ways to cope, many times those ways are not healthy, but they are not as simple as they seem on the surface either.

It's clear people still have the very outdated view of those with this group of disorders.

Say what you want, however the studies show over and over those with borderline and similar disorders who receive the appropriate treatment do have a high chance at recovery and have a high chance at a fairly successful life and relationships.

The trick is being able to access the needed treatment which is VERY difficult in a large part of Canada.

Canada is very behind the times when it comes to treatment for this sort of disorder, and still relies heavily on medication which does not help a lot of people.

Believe it or not, some mental health conditions cannot be treated with medication.

When you are told by psychiatrists they cannot help you, and you need to seek long term therapy, what is a person to think and feel when they cannot afford that long term therapy?

Our medical system doesn't cover the services of therapists, counselors, psychologists and the like. And those are exactly the services those with borderline and similar disorders need for recovery.

People with borderline don't share it with many for a reason, and I very much regret ever mentioning it here, and I regret ever going public at all. I should have looking back kept quiet and pretended life was A OKAY and just put on the mask of pretend.

Here is a short video from the foremost expert on borderline treatment, and creator of said treatment, she is a well respected lady, and knows first hand exactly what its like to live with the disorder and what it is like for those with it when they are seeking help.

Thank You,

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2016 at 8:11 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

@Jsmith321: Nice job editing posts after people have replied.

That is really, really low.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015

Post 79?

Looks like the edit was done at the same time as Shirtback's comment posted (both 4.36)and maybe she was just in time to quote before the change was made.

But it looks like JS may have edited before the response was visible.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Post 79?

Looks like the edit was done at the same time as Shirtback's comment posted (both 4.36)and maybe she was just in time to quote before the change was made.

But it looks like JS may have edited before the response was visible.
My reply (post #80) was made in response to, & quotes the pre-edited version of, post #79.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:08 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shirtback
My reply (post #80) was made in response to, & quotes the pre-edited version of post #79.
Yes I know, I'm just saying that the edit and your post were made simultaneously. (both 4.36 my time)

It appears coincidence. Had the edit been time stamped after your post, then it would appear as if the edit was done after, but it doesn't look the way BC suggested.

Last edited by BristolUK; Apr 19th 2016 at 11:11 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bc2015

I started the editing before anyone replied. How am I supposed to know someone was replying? I posted by accident as well as I was on the phone, so I went back and edited.

The website doesn't tell me someone replied while I was editing.

Why do you assume and name call?

The way people treat me is really sad, nobody will ever stop, listen, and try to learn what its like to live like this.

Instead of refusing to learn about a disorder, all people do is hate and criticize.

I wish I had never once made it known if my issues, I only did it because people said it would help, well it made things worse.

Its no more my fault I am mentally ill then it is anyone who has cancer, or another illness they did not choose to have!

What am I supposed to do? Pretend to be happy? Pretend to be healthy?

How many people can pull 4k out of the air?

Cost of DBT

Adult program – 18 years old and up - $100/weekly session
The adult group skills program is 26 weeks.

Individual Therapy - $125 - $180 / 50 minute session.

Min. 2 times a week.

There is no sliding scale available, and there is no coverage through MSP nor disability as its not treatment by a MD.

Things I have done to try and get treatment. No particular order.

1) Move to Ontario.

2) Ask family.

3) Silly go fund me page

4) Request funding from disability.

5) Went to mental health advocacy group in Vancouver who refereed me back to my local mental health office, who didn't offer individual therapy or DBT based therapy.

6) Gone to GP, who referred me to a psychiatrist who told me I needed long term therapy, and there wasn't much she could do.

7) Gone to ER's asking for help, always sent packing within 1-2 hours.

8) Asked if there was a sliding scale for low income, was told they currently do not have one. (@ DBT place.)

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I started the editing before anyone replied. How am I supposed to know someone was replying? I posted by accident as well as I was on the phone, so I went back and edited.

The website doesn't tell me someone replied while I was editing.

Why do you assume and name call?

The way people treat me is really sad, nobody will ever stop, listen, and try to learn what its like to live like this.
GODDAMMIT MAN, I've said it multiple times: I live with a pretty damn crap mental health "issue" every day of my life too. So do others (I suspect) who reply to your posts, time after time.

Instead of refusing to learn about a disorder, all people do is hate and criticize.

I wish I had never once made it known if my issues, I only did it because people said it would help, well it made things worse.

Its no more my fault I am mentally ill then it is anyone who has cancer, or another illness they did not choose to have!

What am I supposed to do? Pretend to be happy? Pretend to be healthy?

How many people can pull 1k out of the air?

Cost of DBT

Adult program – 18 years old and up - $100/weekly session
The adult group skills program is 26 weeks.

Individual Therapy - $125 - $180 / 50 minute session.

Min. 2 times a week.

There is no sliding scale available, and there is no coverage through MSP nor disability as its not treatment by a MD.
No one here, to my knowledge, has ever criticised your mental health issues. We've offered, & continue to offer constructive support & suggestions. Sometimes constructive support will involve "calling you out" on (our) perception of negativity/self imposed stumbling blocks.

Some of us actually *do* know what we're wittering about. Up to you to read/listen/hear/engage.

(Sorry, I really am bowing out now).
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
No one here, to my knowledge, has ever criticised your mental health issues. We've offered, & continue to offer constructive support & suggestions. Sometimes constructive support will involve "calling you out" on (our) perception of negativity/self imposed stumbling blocks.

Some of us actually *do* know what we're wittering about. Up to you to read/listen/hear/engage.

(Sorry, I really am bowing out now).
It wasn't in reference to you.

I read, I hear, I listen. I just have no idea how to implement and I don't have the professional guidance and support needed which is and has been the hurdle.

Not saying others don't have issues, but every issue is different, every person is different, for every person who succeeds on their own, many more don't and need more supports than others do.

I know I will never improve doing it alone, and until that changes and the supports needed are in place, there really just isn't going to be much improvement, its just how things are.

If we all could fix our issues alone, and needed no supports, things like DBT would not exist, counselors would not exist, etc.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2016 at 11:48 am.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:02 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really been following this thread, but I do have a general sense of your issues. One thing I have noticed, JS, is that your thinking is often mixed up. Presumably, that is a byproduct of the mental condition that you have. Obviously this is not a criticism of your thinking pattern, but an observation.

From your many posts on your big issues: the need for therapy, the need for a stable home, the need for a decent job, the need for skills training to get the decent job (and afford the stable home) there seems to be one glaring/key issue at the root of it. That's therapy.

I recall from a past discussion that you said Ontario offers the best therapy provision. If that's the case, you need to prioritise and get to Ontario and put all your efforts into getting therapy. Obviously much easier said than done, when you have no or low income, rental problems, etc etc, but from all that you have been writing here, that seems to be your best pathway.

Unless your condition lessens with age (?) it seems to be disruptive enough that it will interfere with getting jobs and/or taking further education. You need to stabilise first, and if therapy is the way to achieve that, you need to focus on getting therapy. Maybe it won't seem that way to you now, if you are in an anxious phase, but think about it when you are very calm and determine if this is the right pathway for you.

I know there are many many obstacles for you to move to Ontario, because you have explained this previously. However, it can be a longer term project, you can aim to go in a year's time. The important thing, IMO, is that you start focussing on ONE priority: getting the therapy you want and need. The housing, job, educational training seems to be distracting you, and preventing you from focussing on the critical healthcare.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're in an area that devoid of your culture. I'm sure if you lived in a small village in England you'd find a lovely job.
Can you clarify this comment please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.