Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

Old Apr 27th 2016, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick-Tuition Free post secondary tuition for low income

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would imagine if Wal Mart has large numbers of people show up for a 11/hr job with no real future, then Costco would be insane.
This mindset just boggles me. 11/hr jobs don't necessarily lead nowhere. I worked a similar job for 30 hours a week while going through college - without it college would just not have been possible. And college got me where I am today.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean.

I dont even get interviews for anything decent.

We are not all capable of enjoying life stuck in crap jobs we hate with no way out.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
It is also clearly an attitude

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 27th 2016 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well without college most 11/hr jobs become dead end.

College isnt in the cards. Not able to even get into most programs as I cant even pass the grade 11 or 12 level classes most need.

I have severe learning issues and always have. Ever since I was a toddler.

Simply put college isnt a possibility. Best bet is specific training in a specific type of job. But when tuition is 6 to 10k for a 3 to 6 month course, it becomes a hurdle to pay when you dont have the income necessary.

That is assuming I can master the material and do well.

There are jobs that start at 17-18 that only require a short term training class, but those classes at this moment in time are not an option due to cost and distance as most are in Vancouver and well its not exactly cheap to drive to Vancouver between the gas and tolls.

Originally Posted by bc2015
This mindset just boggles me. 11/hr jobs don't necessarily lead nowhere. I worked a similar job for 30 hours a week while going through college - without it college would just not have been possible. And college got me where I am today.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 27th 2016 at 5:10 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:10 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean.

I dont even get interviews for anything decent.

We are not all capable of enjoying life stuck in crap jobs we hate with no way out.
You have to actually start with an attitude which isn't so negative- everyone has to start/start again from somewhere. It isn't all about qualifications. JS your attitude to life has to change if you want to progress, listen to at least some of the amazing advice that you have been given on this forum and try and use it. It isn't that people haven't tried- we all want you to thrive but all advice seems to fall on deaf ears.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Well without college most 11/hr jobs become dead end.
Maybe, maybe not. College was just one example of how it's not necessarily a "dead end". I wouldn't call them "dead end" anyway as I think that shows disrespect to people who work hard at them trying to make a better life for themselves.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

I listen. I just struggle with implementing ideas and plans. I struggle in that regard.

At the moment I am just trying to work towards a solution for therapy and go from there. Things are moving in that regard slowly. Just have to wait until they get back to me. At the moment they have no interns and only 1 clinical counselor. The Phd level folks are a bit too steep price wise for us.

They keep me updated and follow up as they move along on their end.

As long as they can start me in June or later, we think we can manage.

The wheels are moving, just a bit slow....

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You have to actually start with an attitude which isn't so negative- everyone has to start/start again from somewhere. It isn't all about qualifications. JS your attitude to life has to change if you want to progress, listen to at least some of the amazing advice that you have been given on this forum and try and use it. It isn't that people haven't tried- we all want you to thrive but all advice seems to fall on deaf ears.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot of us on here are doing whatever it takes to get by, and I am fairly certain that on a day to day basis there are a number who are quite challenged with depression and financial worries, but we gird our loins and carry on. I am very far from happy here, but there isn't much point in me wittering on about it. Lots of people are loving life in Canada, and succeeding well, and I truly with them every joy

Yes, I fully empathize with your plight JS, rather more than you might imagine, and I understand your needs to get professional help, however, the very best person to change your outlook, your future and your long term prospects is you...you can change your own attitude, you can change your perception of your own situation, and you can start at looking at what you 'have' and not what you 'don't have'. It isn't easy, but it can be done....go to the library to start, there are websites galore, and you have the time to do it. You really have to get to gips with helping yourself.

Very best of luck.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Quite a lot of us on here are doing whatever it takes to get by, and I am fairly certain that on a day to day basis there are a number who are quite challenged with depression and financial worries, but we gird our loins and carry on. I am very far from happy here, but there isn't much point in me wittering on about it. Lots of people are loving life in Canada, and succeeding well, and I truly with them every joy

Yes, I fully empathize with your plight JS, rather more than you might imagine, and I understand your needs to get professional help, however, the very best person to change your outlook, your future and your long term prospects is you...you can change your own attitude, you can change your perception of your own situation, and you can start at looking at what you 'have' and not what you 'don't have'. It isn't easy, but it can be done....go to the library to start, there are websites galore, and you have the time to do it. You really have to get to gips with helping yourself.

Very best of luck.
My Mrs hates her minimum wage job, having left a very good HR position in the UK. But without any paperwork, there is no way she can get one over here without huge outlay of funds to get the necessary paper qualifications, funds we do not have.

So she goes in every day, usually crap shifts finishing around midnight and loathes and detests what she is doing, dealing with some rather unpleasant and condescending customers.

You do what you can.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would try Costco if it ever arises, but I would not have high hopes of actually securing a job.
I don’t see why you can’t give it a go:

- You have access to a suit, you got married in it
- Anyone can be on time, the bus company publishes a schedule
- You worked on an airport ramp, you could have statistics to show that you accurately loaded an impressive number of bags and could show that this is analogous to accurately checking out items quickly; something the shop values and rates people for, they have a display of this weeks’ stars.
- You could show that, in some huge number of shifts, you were only late once and that was because, after your car was destroyed in a fiery crash it took a while to thumb a ride from the scene to work.

You’re trying to convey that you’re committed to timely arrival (important because other peoples’ shifts depend on it) and performing accurate work at a brisk, but not dangerous, pace. It’s not rocket surgery but you do have to get across the idea that you want this job more than the next guy and you’ll continue to want it after several months.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm not suggesting for a minute that Walmart is an wonderful place to work, it does promote from within, & has in-house training programmes.

So those 11/h cashier's jobs (for example), can & do, lead to better pay, &management positions.

Ditto supermarket chains, some fast food outlets, etc, etc...
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
- You worked on an airport ramp, you could have statistics to show that you accurately loaded an impressive number of bags and could show that this is analogous to accurately checking out items quickly...
Transferable skills. I remember that from my time back in the job centre.