Lunchtime Choices

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:05 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lunchtime Choices

Originally Posted by Shard
I think everywhere outside Europe/UK likes to pile it on. It really does become a pizza pie.
When I lived in NYC I found the pizza to be really good and very tasty. Once you left the tri-state area the quality of the pizza went down considerably.

We go to this place when we want a pizza and a few pints as there are a few pubs/bars along the road and the cab fare is pretty reasonable to and from S. Granville.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 1:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's been 70 years now, soldiers returning from WW2 brought the recipes back from Italy and the variations from all around the Med have been blossoming for decades - there are no rules. As I understand it our duty is to enjoy.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When I lived in NYC I found the pizza to be really good and very tasty. Once you left the tri-state area the quality of the pizza went down considerably.

We go to this place when we want a pizza and a few pints as there are a few pubs/bars along the road and the cab fare is pretty reasonable to and from S. Granville.
Looks good! Odd that the website mostly has photos of the oven and not the food though.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:11 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza has become so varied these days. I like Flying Wedge in Vancouver, not authentic, but oh so damn good. Looks similar to the Regina outfit.
The only Flying Wedge pizza I had was a salmon pizza and it was excellent (but pricey). In Montreal I had pizza with fresh oysters on it and I re-created that for art openings a couple of times. Fads come and go. CMT (country music television) has a program called Best in Chow snd that's where the Pizza Wars show is (Pizza Wars Vancouver, Calgary, Regina etc). In Regina the compdtition was between trendy places with trendy pizzas but didn't even hit the high spots.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Canadians seem to like a lot of shit on their pizzas, in fact the more shit the better although their are some places on and near Commercial Drive that have nice simple Neapolitan ones.
The Drive used to be Little Italy, B'way Station sits where the neon of Lusitania Billiards announced it's beginning.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 1:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The Drive used to be Little Italy, B'way Station sits where the neon of Lusitania Billiards announced it's beginning.
That I did not know.

Pizza Wars sounds ok (as far as reality style TV goes).
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Pizza Wars sounds ok (as far as reality style TV goes).
As above it didn't hit the high spots, a few lucky businesses got free national publicity but that's the nature of those shows. Diners Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network is misleading the same way in that it doesn't always tell the whole story. Read reviews of some places that look great on the show and they're roundly panned. Just like in fishing there's no substitute for local knowledge. I have friends who know the best 'spoons' in Vancouver but the classics all close down sooner or later. The Cottage on the Drive, the Marine View above the old customs house, Don's Seafood Palace on Granville where you could get a Hangtown Fry for breakfast, and of course The Only. New ones spring up and replace them but some can never be equalled.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:45 pm
Yo

As above it didn't hit the high spots, a few lucky businesses got free national publicity but that's the nature of those shows. Diners Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network is misleading the same way in that it doesn't always tell the whole story. Read reviews of some places that look great on the show and they're roundly panned. Just like in fishing there's no substitute for local knowledge. I have friends who know the best 'spoons' in Vancouver but the classics all close down sooner or later. The Cottage on the Drive, the Marine View above the old customs house, Don's Seafood Palace on Granville where you could get a Hangtown Fry for breakfast, and of course The Only. New ones spring up and replace them but some can never be equalled.
Watched quite a few episodes of Triple D and it soon becomes obvious that everyone has there special sauce or whatever and that they can't all be amazing. Nevertheless quite like the show for some mindless TV fare. Saw the "Vancouver, Canada" episode and the "Toronto, Canada" one too.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Saw the "Vancouver, Canada" episode and the "Toronto, Canada" one too.
Urbanspoon app gives Peaceful Restaurant 85% but the reviews since DDD aren't kind so notoriety could be a problem. Inflated expectations of customers maybe? I'd try it anyway because I liked what I saw on the show (those beef rolls!). When I want a restaurant review it's Urbanspoon first.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Urbanspoon app gives Peaceful Restaurant 85% but the reviews since DDD aren't kind so notoriety could be a problem. Inflated expectations of customers maybe? I'd try it anyway because I liked what I saw on the show (those beef rolls!). When I want a restaurant review it's Urbanspoon first.
It's rubbish, you're better off with the Fortune Garden on Granville. They do a bollocks off wonton soup.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm
Yo

It's rubbish, you're better off with the Fortune Garden on Granville. They do a bollocks off wonton soup.
Not sure what the attraction of wontons are, I find them so bland.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:52 pm

Not sure what the attraction of wontons are, I find them so bland.
You haven't had good ones then. If you're ever back in Vancouver, I'd suggest this place for wonton. On Lok Restaurant & Won-Tun House 安樂麵家 - East Village - Vancouver | Urbanspoon
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:01 pm
Yo

You haven't had good ones then. If you're ever back in Vancouver, I'd suggest this place for wonton. On Lok Restaurant & Won-Tun House 安樂麵家 - East Village - Vancouver | Urbanspoon
I've had wontons many times, but who knows maybe there is a better one out there. Thanks for the link.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Today no time to go for lunch but was given a slice of Artixen Pizza, sourdough crust and this one was ham and mushroom. It's a venture by friend Xenophon Gargatziotis and he's a very good cook so 5 *'s!! I don't do facebook and that's what his site is so I have no idea what's on it. A sister of mine took me for lunch in Vancouver's Chinatown once long ago and this is how she taught me to choose a place, we walked around from 11:50 till 12:15 and noted which restaurants had lines of people waiting to get in, then went to the one we liked the look of at 1:00.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm NYC pizza. Joe's pizza is good too. It was in the spider man movie to boot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.