Groceries

Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Not exactly groceries, but had to be in Bellingham today so popped by Wal-Mart as I needed a light bulb and found these for 17 cents US, kid you not, 17 freaking cents and they work, seems they were clearing out this brand for more name brand.
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-17-cents.jpg  
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not exactly groceries, but had to be in Bellingham today so popped by Wal-Mart as I needed a light bulb and found these for 17 cents US
That was a bright spot in your day
Old Mar 16th 2016, 4:49 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Freshco is selling a new brand of block cheese which is quite reasonable and even borderline edible without melting.

Things are looking up people. It's the Trudeau effect.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I thought the 82 cents a friend paid was a good deal but 17 cents is even better.. He went to a store about 20 mins south.

And they produce a lot nice light vs the leds I bought at Home Depot 2 years ago.

Amazing the deals to be found south of the border.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That was a bright spot in your day
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not exactly groceries, but had to be in Bellingham today so popped by Wal-Mart as I needed a light bulb and found these for 17 cents US, kid you not, 17 freaking cents and they work, seems they were clearing out this brand for more name brand.
great deal if you bought other items at a low price, did you include in the FX , time & cost of gas?

What was the round trip distance - was it approx 100km (60 miles)?

Then again, I suppose you filled your car up with the cheaper gas?

All in - all done, what was the net savings doing all of what you did in purchases over the local Canada location spending?

Last edited by not2old; Mar 16th 2016 at 10:15 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
great deal if you bought other items at a low price, did you include in the FX , time & cost of gas?

What was the round trip distance - was it approx 100km (60 miles)?

Then again, I suppose you filled your car up with the cheaper gas?

All in - all done, what was the net savings doing all of what you did in purchases over the local Canada location spending?

17 cents US for a light bulb is a great deal, since, (as he said), he had to be in Bellingham anyway it doesn't matter if he bought anything else at all.
Edit: The A&W flyer came today and there's a bacon cheddar Uncle Burger for $3.99, that's the only really good one they make (it's sirloin and compared to this the others are rodeo bulls), and the price is right, jump on it. Have it while you are grocery shopping if you're anal about being on topic.

Last edited by caretaker; Mar 16th 2016 at 11:27 pm. Reason: Alerto!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:20 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Seems since Sobey's bought Safeway they have brought in low prices, Safeway used to be a total rip off place to shop

Are they keeping the safe way name then? I really can't get my head round why the supermarkets don't re- brand as they buy. You have to look at the name on the own-brand products to work out where you are. Crazy.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Correct. Was already in Belligham for another matter so it was just a side trip on the way home.

Only other thing I bought which after the fx was the same price as in Canada but havent been able to find locally. Its a nitrate test kit for my aquarium.

That 17 cents is about 22 cents CAD so even if one had gone just for the bulbs, in our car would still come ahead since we used so little gas.

Gas round trip is about the cost of 1 LED bulb locally.

Originally Posted by caretaker
17 cents US for a light bulb is a great deal, since, (as he said), he had to be in Bellingham anyway it doesn't matter if he bought anything else at all.
Edit: The A&W flyer came today and there's a bacon cheddar Uncle Burger for $3.99, that's the only really good one they make (it's sirloin and compared to this the others are rodeo bulls), and the price is right, jump on it. Have it while you are grocery shopping if you're anal about being on topic.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:48 am
Account Closed

For now it seems they are. The names have value in their own right in the regions they exist. Whu bring in a new name and spend money rebranding and advtertising to customers the new brand when the existing is well known?

I was pleasently surprised how much prices have fallen in Safeway. They are one the cheapest now.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Seems since Sobey's bought Safeway they have brought in low prices, Safeway used to be a total rip off place to shop

Are they keeping the safe way name then? I really can't get my head round why the supermarkets don't re- brand as they buy. You have to look at the name on the own-brand products to work out where you are. Crazy.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel

It seems to depend on the store, where there has been a successfull Safeway in a location for decades (I'm thinking of the one in Cathedral here in Regina) they renovated and enlarged it with new facade and kept the Safeway name.
Re: pricing that Safeway had a history of charging what the market would bear, prices dropped when a Superstore was opened 10 blocks away then rose when it closed. I haven't been checking fliers but if prices are down they're after some of Loblaws' business.

Last edited by caretaker; Mar 17th 2016 at 2:41 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Earl's have new Korean style chicken wings which are very nice and go well with Stella.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Litre of half and half, dozen eggs, half price Shanghai bok choy, $7. What a country!
Old Mar 19th 2016, 12:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just changing to a new wallet as the coin pouch is broken and coins keep falling out through the notes section.

Anyway, I came across the receipt for my last visit to Sobeys. Not a big shop as I was actually buying wine in the liquor store next door and I took advantage of Sobeys pepsi sale on 2l bottles for 99c.

As well as pepsi I came away with Corn starch, Orange Juice, frozen peas, frozen corn, frozen yogurt, superfries, Blueberries, Chicken thighs, Chicken drumsticks and tortilla wraps.

My receipt shows $63.73 plus $2.32 HST and a saving of $64.30. 50%.

Every item was reduced, nothing was a sticker for being near its best before date.

But the "was" price for pepsi is not realistic as somewhere nearly always has it for $1.50 or under and if I adjust it for my usual price, the saving on the bill would be 40%.

For those feeling the quantity of pepsi distorts the picture, if I remove it altogether, the overall savings were 42%.

Apparently I was served by Marina. I wonder if Troy Tempest knows she moonlights.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

They really over-charge for tortillas, I must start making them again.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Most stores do in Canada and it can be hard to find authentic ones.

I just picked some up in WA state 50 for like 3 bucks....lol

Originally Posted by caretaker
They really over-charge for tortillas, I must start making them again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.