Groceries

Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:31 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by transatlantic
If anyone is interested here's my receipt from aldi, still finding life a bit more affordable in blighty.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9le2bnp5.jpg
55 quid worth ($110 cdn) - how long will that lot last you & for how many people?

I notice, lots of prepared foods, canned stuff

Other than the prepared 'breaded ham, mince beef & pkg sausage rolls' - 'where is the beef'

You are definitely a pasta meal person?

Did you do a beef, pork, chicken & fish shop some place else?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 24th 2016 at 7:33 am.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is interested here's my receipt from aldi, still finding life a bit more affordable in blighty.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9le2bnp5.jpg
So that is like $110 Canadian at the current exchange.... Not sure you could get that variety of food in Canada for $110.

I am almost tempted to take that receipt to the store and add up what it would cost out of curiosity.....

I noticed the carrots for 500g, that is cheap no matter what, the same size package here runs around 3 dollars.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 24th 2016 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:47 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not ruling it out.

Need to sell the rental, take a European trip then re-evaluate.

Staying on and having to find an extra $20k or more over 10 years could make me want to move regardless of other things.
As a suggestion, at some point in your life consider something along the lines of the following - no snow.

1 euro = ~$1.50 Canadian. UK state pension is indexed in Malta

GP1947 - Gozo Prime Properties

GP1922 - Gozo Prime Properties

Free health coverage for British citizens

http://gov.mt/en/Services-And-Inform...pplication.pdf

Financial Qualifications as self-sufficient

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/mhas-in...20form%20j.pdf

Applicants must produce documentary evidence of their self - sufficiency which would allow a high standard of living.The whole amount declared is not required to be brought into the country

For self sufficiency, its satisfy either capital or income requirement - you must have health cover under either, not necessarily insurance - the amounts are capital of at least €14,000 or a weekly income of €84.95 or, in the case of a married couple, a capital of €23,300 or a weekly income of €93.10

Tax Rates

https://ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx#2016

Grocery stores & prices

There are several chains there including Aldi & Lidl

http://www.lidl.com.mt/en/online-leaflets.htm

As well as to get an idea of prices

http://www.maltasupermarket.com/cate...list&listid=24

Last edited by not2old; Jan 24th 2016 at 8:08 am. Reason: updated the links
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
55 quid worth ($110 cdn) - how long will that lot last you & for how many people?

I notice, lots of prepared foods, canned stuff

Other than the prepared 'breaded ham, mince beef & pkg sausage rolls' - 'where is the beef'

You are definitely a pasta meal person?

Did you do a beef, pork, chicken & fish shop some place else?

That's for four of us, usually do a small top up later in the week.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So that is like $110 Canadian at the current exchange.... Not sure you could get that variety of food in Canada for $110.

I am almost tempted to take that receipt to the store and add up what it would cost out of curiosity.....

I noticed the carrots for 500g, that is cheap no matter what, the same size package here runs around 3 dollars.
I'd be interested too. I remember the yoghurt, milk, cereals and vegetables being pretty pricey.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:16 am
Dichotomus tinker

That's for four of us, usually do a small top up later in the week.
wow, is it less than what you were paying for what you bout on this side of the pond?

seems a lot of money without adding some chicken, fish, meat in there

BTW, the hamburger (regular ground beef) seems more pricey in the UK than it would be in Canada?

When I was in the UK at the end of November 2015, I found the veggies to be cheaper, yet the meat almost double in price
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

wow, is it less than what you were paying for what you bout on this side of the pond?

BTW, the hamburger (regular ground beef) seems more pricey in the UK than it would be in Canada?

When I was in the UK at the end of November 2015, I found the veggies to be cheaper, yet the meat almost double in price
With the exchange rate it comes to about 3.53 for 500g where locally here to me, 500g at Save On the cheapest offered is 6.79 Canadian$.

It's for lean, but I just found the least expensive ground beef on offer which is the lean, the extra lean is 7.71 for 500g.
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-beef.png  
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Probably spent about $150 / week in Canada. Minced beef at aldi was £1.75 for 500g so im not sure how that compares. I buy my burgers from the butchers because they're delicious if a little more expensive.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:33 am
Dichotomus tinker

Probably spent about $150 / week in Canada. Minced beef at aldi was £1.75 for 500g so im not sure how that compares. I buy my burgers from the butchers because they're delicious if a little more expensive.
Thanks for that

sorted
Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

As a suggestion, at some point in your life consider something along the lines of the following - no snow.....Malta...
Just that other matter of the other three members of the family, the Canadians.

I was actually a couple of years away from enrolling in Spanish classes with a view to learning the language and then early retiring in Spain, when fate stepped in.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 11:03 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That's (£3.50/kg) very low for minced beef in the UK. I find it's typically £6-7 per kg - rarely less than £5.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

along those lines, that works also.

Could it be the British way being brought up to eat prepared foods, foods out of packets or cans, crap snacks, down to it must be 'roast beef, sausage, pork anything with spuds & peas' or fish & chips or a pork pie - anything else or other methods of cooking doesn't look right.

Do most British folks not indulge in fresh anything natural foods?
Not the way I was brought up *at all* as far as food's concerned

We were never terribly well-off (despite a few occasions of unexpected affluence) & went through some periods of downright poverty, but I grew up with food always prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients. It took me years, well into adult life, to learn/accept that there are some prepared/pre-packaged shortcuts that are actually tasty/cheap/okay.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

along those lines, that works also.

Could it be the British way being brought up to eat prepared foods, foods out of packets or cans, crap snacks, down to it must be 'roast beef, sausage, pork anything with spuds & peas' or fish & chips or a pork pie - anything else or other methods of cooking doesn't look right.

Do most British folks not indulge in fresh anything natural foods?
Font the way I was brought up either or shop now. Your comment us interesting considering you're saying that chicken in condensed soup is a recipe! I'm amazed by North American recipes that contain so much canned and dried food. I understand the origins of canning and preserving food to last you through the winter but seriously cake recipes that start with "take a packet of yellow cake mix" , and main course dishes that involve Campbell's soup and or Liptons onion soup are the norm. Do most Canadian folks not indulge in fresh anything natural foods?

Oh yes, cucumber $3 each today, tomatoes $6 a punnet thingy. Cauliflower still too pricey.

40 minutes from Cobourg.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Font the way I was brought up either or shop now. Your comment us interesting considering you're saying that chicken in condensed soup is a recipe! I'm amazed by North American recipes that contain so much canned and dried food. I understand the origins of canning and preserving food to last you through the winter but seriously cake recipes that start with "take a packet of yellow cake mix" , and main course dishes that involve Campbell's soup and or Liptons onion soup are the norm. Do most Canadian folks not indulge in fresh anything natural foods?

Oh yes, cucumber $3 each today, tomatoes $6 a punnet thingy. Cauliflower still too pricey.

40 minutes from Cobourg.
Cheaper generally to used canned broth then to make it from scratch.... Most people shop based on price, not necessarily what is healthiest, tastiest or best.

I wouldn't be able to make pasta say from scratch for 1.00 which is what a package of dry stuff goes for much of the time for generic brand.

As for cake mixes, same thing, they are cheaper, you can get boxed cake mix on sale for as low as 1.00 for generic and even sometimes name brand.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
With the exchange rate it comes to about 3.53 for 500g where locally here to me, 500g at Save On the cheapest offered is 6.79 Canadian$.

It's for lean, but I just found the least expensive ground beef on offer which is the lean, the extra lean is 7.71 for 500g.
Last week I got the Club Sized pack of extra lean mince in Real Canadian for 11.68/kg (5.84 for 500g). I have the PC Points card on my phone which gave me 20% back in points for that, so basically ended up paying about 10.50/kg for extra lean. Lean was even cheaper. I got a 2.something kg slab of it, most of it is in the freezer and it will do for 4-5 meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.