Groceries

Old May 27th 2016, 8:37 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Oink
I think I'm overwhelmed by the magnitude of it all, of the racks and rows of bewildering abundance of quantity. I have no ethical stand on the store, its just not for me.
I go in wanting say a memory card for my camera and come out with $$$$ of goods that I didn't intend to get because Snoop said that they were "a fantastic bargain and just imagine how much money that we are saving"- coming out with no memory card but a trolley laden with tons of meat, a sun lounger, cheese and 400 bog rolls
Old May 27th 2016, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of us has ever been in a Costco. We have friends who go regularly, and swear by the deals they get, but we do prefer to buy certain brands of TP, facial tissues, paper towels, sauces, etc.

We went to the local Real Canadian Superstore when it first opened years ago. They had fewer than half of the brands that we prefer, so we had to do a trip to Safeway. We wasted so much time finding our way round the Superstore and in driving around that we decided not to bother again. Our time was more valuable at that time than the few cents that we saved (and it WAS only a few cents!).

We have gone back to the Superstore a couple of times in the last couple of years ....... it is one place where we can buy the non-dairy frozen dessert that I like when Safeway doesn't have it, and it is cheaper than at the "organic" places.

OH now usually does the grocery shopping by car on a Friday afternoon between about 4 and 5 pm ...... it's quite quiet then, and it's one big shop-in when he can load up items on special (like TP rolls, etc etc).
Old May 27th 2016, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
oh, I don't mind using transit. I always carry a book with me, so I can read.

But it does get difficult if you have to carry several bags of groceries.
I can't drive and do almost all the grocery shopping on foot or using public transit. A few months ago I gave in and bought one of those "old lady" shopping bags on wheels and its been fantastic, I can normally fit in enough food for the two of us for a week.

Now that summer has rolled around I'm currently thinking of "upgrading" to an insulated one, so I can make trips to Costco on the bus (around 30-40 minutes away) to buy meat without having to bother my husband to drive me on the weekend.
Old May 27th 2016, 9:04 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
I can't drive and do almost all the grocery shopping on foot or using public transit. A few months ago I gave in and bought one of those "old lady" shopping bags on wheels and its been fantastic, I can normally fit in enough food for the two of us for a week.

Now that summer has rolled around I'm currently thinking of "upgrading" to an insulated one, so I can make trips to Costco on the bus (around 30-40 minutes away) to buy meat without having to bother my husband to drive me on the weekend.
Hmm that might be worth mentioning to Oink so he could use one and be a little less flustered and more organised. He could also take it out on a Friday night on the town and keep his renegade crabs in it if he sat on the lid whilst drinking a pint
Old May 27th 2016, 10:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Do you get much of that?
Not since I grew up. Last month.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
[...]
So a week or so ago I had someone coming to the door saying they were with whatever company it was (the name escapes me) who carry local, organic, "happy" meat and would we like a free sample to try. So I said sure. She said great, someone would be around tomorrow with a sample. The next day they called me to make sure I was home, then said someone would be by. The chap came, seemed nice enough. Started talking about how their plans work, different packages worth of meat, a selection of different cuts and such, then he asked if my husband was home as it's easier to talk to both of us. Um, what? No, he's at work... "Oh, we usually prefer to speak to both couples at once." "Why??" "Well, we only have flexibility on price on the first visit."

Okay, this pisses me off.
We went through this last year with DirectBuy as well and is an immediate red flag. I said that my husband wasn't home, I wouldn't be making any decisions then, and even if he was we wouldn't be committing on the spot, we like to do some research and compare with grocery bills etc to see if it's worth it. Blah blah blah. I asked him if he had some kind of pricing sheet I could look at to compare, and he said you can't really work out the various prices of individual meats because you buy a year's worth at once and it's a mix of different things. Yeah, okay. So I shut that down.
[...]

The guy was nice, but that was just completely bonkers.

When a similar thing happened here (I was "referred" to the company in question by a acquaintance), I'm afraid I told the "sales rep" to F**k off.

The prices were outrageously uncompetitive too, btw.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 9:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart
Chicken legs (back on as they call it when the thigh is still attached) 87c lb.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 9:52 am
Just Joined

TorontoBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, new Brit in Toronto here (hence the username) - where's the best place to buy cheap groceries?

I used to shop at Aldi at home and loved the bargains there, but I get the impression that there's not an equivalent here in Canada. I'm not hugely fussed about getting the highest quality stuff, I'd just like to be able to buy food that doesn't taste horrible whilst also not costing a fortune.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 10:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TorontoBrit
Hey guys, new Brit in Toronto here (hence the username) - where's the best place to buy cheap groceries?

I used to shop at Aldi at home and loved the bargains there, but I get the impression that there's not an equivalent here in Canada. I'm not hugely fussed about getting the highest quality stuff, I'd just like to be able to buy food that doesn't taste horrible whilst also not costing a fortune.

Thanks in advance.
No Frills but not the one on Parliament.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No Frills but not the one on Parliament.
I think I might have been in that branch last week. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality & price of *some* of the meat there; the store overall was 'orrible.

Maxi (Qc version of No Frills for most of you) has specials on red peppers & avocados this week, as well as chicken legs "with back" (89c/lb - + a 30% off sticker because they were close to sell-by date tonight), & pork shoulder roasts. Also various types of lettuce/salad greens at 2/1$.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 4:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to BE!

Food Basics have been pretty reasonable I've found, as have Freshco - I'm presuming the prices will be similar in Toronto.

You quickly learn to stock up (and freeze if necessary) meat etc., when it's on offer!

http://freshco.com/flyer/
http://www.foodbasics.ca/en/flyer.html#resultat

Old Jun 18th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

Food Basics have been pretty reasonable I've found, as have Freshco - I'm presuming the prices will be similar in Toronto.

You quickly learn to stock up (and freeze if necessary) meat etc., when it's on offer!

Flyer – FreshCo
Flyer

Absolutely this haha!
Old Jun 19th 2016, 12:15 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not forgetting the stackable baskets of course.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 3:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not forgetting the stackable baskets of course.

How are they working out for you?
Old Jun 19th 2016, 3:48 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to shop at Aldi at home and loved the bargains there
I used to love Aldi as well. I use cost-co and superstore now - I find I spend a lot more on food but its probaby better quality.

With superstore I have a PC card so I get points when certain things are on offer. I have an app for this and it's based on stuff I have purchased before. I try and complete my grocery shop and meal plans around that as I can use my points for money off my bill and/or gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.