Groceries

Old Jun 19th 2016, 5:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Siouxie
How are they working out for you?
Ahem.

Not actually started them yet.

I was pretty sure there was so much in the freezers that it would be too much for the baskets. So the plan was to deplete the stocks a bit and not replace what was used.

It was going nicely until two recent meat bargains that were just too good to miss - you can't ignore 87c chicken legs and $5.50 a lb good steak can you.

I've also discovered someone who shall remain nameless has added stuff including some pots of delicious spagbol sauce they just cooked up.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Chickens at Sobeys and Walmart $1.77 lb (what an amazing coincidence, nothing to do with industrial espionage I'm sure )
and Sobeys has giant cherries @ $2.99 lb.

And a bogof offer on Bothwell cheese. Trying this one among others.

Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:24 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Chickens at Sobeys and Walmart $1.77 lb (what an amazing coincidence, nothing to do with industrial espionage I'm sure )
and Sobeys has giant cherries @ $2.99 lb.

And a bogof offer on Bothwell cheese. Trying this one among others.

http://www.bothwellcheese.com/wp-con...orseradish.jpg
That cheese sounds interesting.
Were these the cherries?
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-image.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Were these the cherries?
Are those trees miniatures?

I erred...they are jumbo cherries not giant. On the flyer they're the size of a golf ball. Good for tee time.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That cheese sounds interesting.

Don't bother.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:18 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The bothwell I tried- remember I thought it was from NB when it was actually MB- was pretty good.

Did they forget to put any horseradish into this one?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:56 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
The bothwell I tried- remember I thought it was from NB when it was actually MB- was pretty good.

Did they forget to put any horseradish into this one?
Oh sure, the Bothwell cheese is decent enough. Especially an old one. There's a nice extra old/red wine one that they do.

I like Horseradish sauce. President'c Choice does a Creamy Horseradish sauce and it's to die for.

When I first saw mention of Horseradish Cheese I thought I was looking at a suggestion like spreading the sauce on toast and then grilling cheese on top. A bit like Welsh Rarebit or Croque Monsieur.

And I thought it sounded nice. But then I saw it was actually Horseradish cheese and I thought well that makes it easier.

But the cheese is tasteless and the horseradish too strong for it.

I thought, well maybe it is better grilled as with my original thought. It was better but not good. And the first time was on a small Ciabatta roll.

Yesterday I had it as a grilled cheese sandwich so there was more of it. I had to get rid of the taste after and I threw the remaining cheese away.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:58 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow. Yes it was the red wine one that was pretty good.

Good tip on PC horseradish. The one I get in Freshco is pretty much just grated, so probably healthier, but not nearly as nice.

Oh sure, the Bothwell cheese is decent enough. Especially an old one. There's a nice extra old/red wine one that they do.

I like Horseradish sauce. President'c Choice does a Creamy Horseradish sauce and it's to die for.

When I first saw mention of Horseradish Cheese I thought I was looking at a suggestion like spreading the sauce on toast and then grilling cheese on top. A bit like Welsh Rarebit or Croque Monsieur.

And I thought it sounded nice. But then I saw it was actually Horseradish cheese and I thought well that makes it easier.

But the cheese is tasteless and the horseradish too strong for it.

I thought, well maybe it is better grilled as with my original thought. It was better but not good. And the first time was on a small Ciabatta roll.

Yesterday I had it as a grilled cheese sandwich so there was more of it. I had to get rid of the taste after and I threw the remaining cheese away.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

For the third or fourth time this summer, cherries (big ones) are down to $2.99 lb. This time it's both the main grocery stores here - Sobeys and Superstore - with the latter initially advertising them at slightly more but adjusting their price to match Sobeys.

At Superstore today they had Pluots - supposedly a combo of plum and apricot, but really nothing like apricot.

They had big ones and normal size but the smaller ones were best; a taste of heaven.

And a ridiculous 96c a pound. We've eaten the ones I bought. Should have got more.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:55 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

For the third or fourth time this summer, cherries (big ones) are down to $2.99 lb. This time it's both the main grocery stores here - Sobeys and Superstore - with the latter initially advertising them at slightly more but adjusting their price to match Sobeys.
I've been eating cherries non stop this year. They are AWESOME this year, and 2.99/lb is an awesome price. I've lost track of how much I've bought. Loving it! I think most places have it at 2.99 (both Metro and Fortinos around me have it).
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:49 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
...2.99/lb is an awesome price...

It's still a bit of a shock when a bag is $10

But some are big enough to take a bite out of them rather than popping them in your mouth.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 2:51 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

It's still a bit of a shock when a bag is $10

But some are big enough to take a bite out of them rather than popping them in your mouth.
LOL yeah I totally get it. The Costco cherries are quite good and often are about $5 for a huge container.

They're basically like small plums, though, lol. Takes a few bites to eat them all, so SO sweet and SO juicy. Sometimes the big ones are disappointing but this year's have just been awesome.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 9:09 am
Oscar nominated

Two weeks ago, Superstore had Beef Tenderloin for $10.99 lb.

We did what has become the usual when it's that price (less than half the usual amount) and bought a chunk which I cut into four.

But it's Sobeys turn this week, same price. It's hard to leave it there. Have a couple of other places to go to tomorrow and it'll be easy to drop in and see if they have some at a better size for doing as steaks.
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-6979032-chef-emoticon-stock-vector-smiley.jpg  
Old Aug 16th 2016, 8:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been noticing a few things about the stores lately.

1) They are reducing selection to 1 or 2 name brand and a generic.

2) Prices of generic brands are becoming very close to the same price as the national brands, bought some yogurt at Wal-Mart, decided on the national brand for 5.57 for 12 pack vs Wal-Brand for 5.47.

Only food item that seems to even be remotely coming down in price is beef, and pork, finding pretty good deals lately there.

Sea Food has gone up a fair amount, and the selection gone down, for living so close to the coast, there is an oddly small selection of sea food these days.

I have had to become more creative this year on food, prices have just been climbing at a pretty quick pace, every week seems to bring higher prices.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 9:44 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

On my first trip I brought back 3 cases of peaches (2 med, 1 lg) and 1 case of cherries, second trip I brought 2 cases of large peaches and 1 case of large nectarines. All given away and eaten as of today and boy were they good.
Jsmith, I think I mentioned this before because I remember you like Mexican food, you could learn how to make your own tortillas then you could make tacos and quesadillas and so on for next to nothing. Making dough and rolling it out and putting together empanadas/samosas and baking them is another good way to deal with leftovers as well. Cooking tortillas on an ungreased cast iron or steel skillet (that's how you do it) can cause smoke detector issues.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 16th 2016 at 9:53 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.