Groceries

Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Most stores do in Canada and it can be hard to find authentic ones.

I just picked some up in WA state 50 for like 3 bucks....lol
I can buy a huge bag at a Mexican restaurant for $5.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 grocery stores in Oliver have good ones for the Mexican fruit pickers.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Jamaican Curry powder was recommended by N2O, I think, but none of the Walmarts here stock it.

I knew I could get it on line from them but free shipping is now only on a spend of $50.

I added a few things, including bog paper, the excellent flyer price applied on line too and before I knew it I was up to $40 and the shipping was 'only' $6.

But spending $10 to get the free shipping was only going to cost $4 so I made it.

My order included three jars of the curry powder. They are enormous.

All delivered by Canada post and a day early too. In fact that was the second parcel this week that Canada Post delivered efficiently and ahead of schedule.

Oops...it was actually THREE packages early.

Yay for Canada Post. The rest of you must be doing something wrong.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Post seems to really depend on sort facilities, some seem more efficient vs others...lol

Richmond, BC sort facility is known to have issues.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Jamaican Curry powder was recommended by N2O, I think, but none of the Walmarts here stock it.

I knew I could get it on line from them but free shipping is now only on a spend of $50.

I added a few things, including bog paper, the excellent flyer price applied on line too and before I knew it I was up to $40 and the shipping was 'only' $6.

But spending $10 to get the free shipping was only going to cost $4 so I made it.

My order included three jars of the curry powder. They are enormous.

All delivered by Canada post and a day early too. In fact that was the second parcel this week that Canada Post delivered efficiently and ahead of schedule.

Oops...it was actually THREE packages early.

Yay for Canada Post. The rest of you must be doing something wrong.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Mr.CBB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leith
This month, I decided to be an absolute tightwad on grocery shopping. For two of us (adults) eating three good meals a day, I spent $175 and I still have lots of food left to start next month's spree of stinginess. I don't bother checking flyers because most of the things on sale aren't stuff we'd eat anyway but here are a few of the rules that have propelled me into the higher realms of Scroogedom.
1. I buy foodstuffs with the least packaging by shopping at The Bulk Barn or the bulk bins at Superstore.
2. I invested a few years ago in a set of Kuraidori Vacuum Canisters from Home Hardware. Tomatoes, celery, lettuce, any other kind of greens keep far longer in these so there's no waste if there are only two of you and you've bought the biggest items sold as $x "each".
3. I don't buy any ice cream, soft drinks, cakes, cookies, pies or other obviously sweet stuff. Fruit juice only when on sale. Yoghurt for dessert - always some kind on sale but I don't buy any with sucralose or any other artificial sweetener.
4. Lots of stand-by dry goods in the pantry such as pasta and rice, dried split peas and my favorites - oatmeal for porridge and veggie burgers, and lentils which are a great source of protein, cook fast, and can be used for a lot of different soups and a very tasty kind of "meatloaf".
5. I buy huge bags of apples that don't fall within the store's parameters of acceptable appearance. Not overripe, bruised, or diseased, just the wrong size or shape.
6. The cost of other big bargain bags of things such as onions or potatoes I sometimes split with a neighbour or neighbours.
7. I check the unit cost on everything. It's usually on the price tag but if not, just do the math otherwise you can't compare packages of different sizes.
8. We have fresh free range eggs at breakfast every day but if perchance I do buy any eggs at a grocery store, I weight them on the produce scales and figure out the best deal. (To get the most for my money, I do this also with anything else sold as $x each,)
9. When buying spices and other small, light weight bulk items, I just tie up the top of the bag. The plastic tags can add about 10% to the weight of things that are quite expensive to start with.
10. I never go shopping when I'm hungry and I make sure I have something ready in the fridge that I can warm up fast when we get home.
We do eat a lot and and often have fish or chicken but they're not the centrepiece of most meals.
OK, so I'm a grocery store owner's worst nightmare but you can at least be one of his bad dreams. What are your strategies for the ultimate dime-squeezing? Do tell.
That's not so bad and we do many of the same things to save money and more. We spend $235 a month with a toddler and a $20 stockpile budget living in Ontario. I must admit I've never thought to weigh eggs before. As for the Bulk Barn I send caution to those who think they are getting a bargain. I only ever shop there if an item is on sale, I have their in-store coupon to pair with that sale and the unit price is cheaper than buying at the grocery store. After almost 9 years in Canada I made it a priority to become an expert on grocery prices so we could balance our budget since it's the most expensive bill apart from a mortgage/rent for most people. Great tips!
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
This month, I decided to be an absolute tightwad on grocery shopping. For two of us (adults) eating three good meals a day, I spent $175 and I still have lots of food left to start next month's spree of stinginess. I don't bother checking flyers because most of the things on sale aren't stuff we'd eat anyway but here are a few of the rules that have propelled me into the higher realms of Scroogedom.
1. I buy foodstuffs with the least packaging by shopping at The Bulk Barn or the bulk bins at Superstore.
2. I invested a few years ago in a set of Kuraidori Vacuum Canisters from Home Hardware. Tomatoes, celery, lettuce, any other kind of greens keep far longer in these so there's no waste if there are only two of you and you've bought the biggest items sold as $x "each".
3. I don't buy any ice cream, soft drinks, cakes, cookies, pies or other obviously sweet stuff. Fruit juice only when on sale. Yoghurt for dessert - always some kind on sale but I don't buy any with sucralose or any other artificial sweetener.
4. Lots of stand-by dry goods in the pantry such as pasta and rice, dried split peas and my favorites - oatmeal for porridge and veggie burgers, and lentils which are a great source of protein, cook fast, and can be used for a lot of different soups and a very tasty kind of "meatloaf".
5. I buy huge bags of apples that don't fall within the store's parameters of acceptable appearance. Not overripe, bruised, or diseased, just the wrong size or shape.
6. The cost of other big bargain bags of things such as onions or potatoes I sometimes split with a neighbour or neighbours.
7. I check the unit cost on everything. It's usually on the price tag but if not, just do the math otherwise you can't compare packages of different sizes.
8. We have fresh free range eggs at breakfast every day but if perchance I do buy any eggs at a grocery store, I weight them on the produce scales and figure out the best deal. (To get the most for my money, I do this also with anything else sold as $x each,)
9. When buying spices and other small, light weight bulk items, I just tie up the top of the bag. The plastic tags can add about 10% to the weight of things that are quite expensive to start with.
10. I never go shopping when I'm hungry and I make sure I have something ready in the fridge that I can warm up fast when we get home.
We do eat a lot and and often have fish or chicken but they're not the centrepiece of most meals.
OK, so I'm a grocery store owner's worst nightmare but you can at least be one of his bad dreams. What are your strategies for the ultimate dime-squeezing? Do tell.
Naff that. Just get a better paid job.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr.CBB
it's the most expensive bill apart from a mortgage/rent for most people.
No car?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Mr.CBB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
No car?
A mortgage/rent and food are budget necessities which is why I left out the vehicle but yes a vehicle is another large expense in the budget for those who have payments as well as maintenance costs.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the local shop today and bought a small pot of Cajun spice.

On the same rack was a pot of BTC Steak Spice. What is BTC?

If the B is for the company name (Barbour) then what is TC Steak Spice?
Old May 9th 2016, 3:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be fair if one doesnt live in a large metro area, a car can very well be an essential if they work. Transit isnt always an option nor is walking or cycling to work.

Also if one has health issues and need to travel often for doctors a car can again be an essential.

We cant afford rent in Vancouver, but wife has frequent appointments to doctors in Vancouver as will I. Only viable way to get to Vancouver is by vehicle.

The doctors seen in Vancouver are due to not being available locally.

Originally Posted by Mr.CBB
A mortgage/rent and food are budget necessities which is why I left out the vehicle but yes a vehicle is another large expense in the budget for those who have payments as well as maintenance costs.
Old May 9th 2016, 3:07 am
Account Closed

$34 in meat for the next week.

8 pork chops
2 packages of sandwich meat
500g of ground beef
Pork cubes for stir fry
2 packages of sliced cheese
1 package of pork necks for the dog. 1.85 for 900g.

Another $25 at Wal Mart on

Frozen corn package
2 ears of fresh corn
Some bannanas
Package of rolls for sandwiches
Frozen broccoli
2 tomatoes

Had oatmeal package left from last time, which is what we eat for breakfast.

Dont really eat lunch, a couple bananas usually or a sandwich.

About a week worth. Next week ill have to get creative with whatever we have.

Next shop not until 20 May.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

loading up this week on boneless 'Pork loin' at Food Basics @ $1.44/lb (cut up into chops), as well as Chicken legs with backs @ $0.88/lb at the local ethnic store.

Total spend in the range of $20, will last at least 10 meals for two people, with the odd FIL meal added in
Old May 27th 2016, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the "new" Sobeys (ex Safeway) ............ much of the own brand by Sobeys is not as good as Safeway's own brand used to be. Plus, many items have disappeared from the shelves, and the manager of the store has trouble ordering them in if they are not "own brand".

It's as if we are now supposed to be "one size fits all".

Safeway here used to vary its store by the neighbourhood it served ............ so there was one where you could always had a wide range of Jewish food, and another where the selection of Asian foods was fantastic. Now we have smaller speciality areas within each store.

Our local store used to have a good selection of fine deli meats and some super goods because it is the closest store to one of the wealthiest areas ...... not the neighbourhood we live in, I hasten to add!

We're seriously considering trying to find another grocery store . even though we would much prefer to stay local.

Oh yes, and our weekly grocery bill has gone up, not down since Sobeys took over, so we have cut back on what we buy
Old May 27th 2016, 3:04 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I don't like the "new" Sobeys (ex Safeway) ............ much of the own brand by Sobeys is not as good as Safeway's own brand used to be. Plus, many items have disappeared from the shelves, and the manager of the store has trouble ordering them in if they are not "own brand".

It's as if we are now supposed to be "one size fits all".

Safeway here used to vary its store by the neighbourhood it served ............ so there was one where you could always had a wide range of Jewish food, and another where the selection of Asian foods was fantastic. Now we have smaller speciality areas within each store.

Our local store used to have a good selection of fine deli meats and some super goods because it is the closest store to one of the wealthiest areas ...... not the neighbourhood we live in, I hasten to add!

We're seriously considering trying to find another grocery store . even though we would much prefer to stay local.

Oh yes, and our weekly grocery bill has gone up, not down since Sobeys took over, so we have cut back on what we buy
Don't often shop there and so haven't really been there since the takeover. What are your other options?
Old May 27th 2016, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Other options??

None in the local neighbourhood ...... strange to say in a big city! Most are 10-15 minutes drive away, and either very difficult or impossible for me to get to as I am one of those strange people who cannot drive. Some require 2 buses there and back.

Choices ..... very expensive

Loblaws has recently opened several miles away, selling President's Choice

IGA

Real Canadian Superstore ............ in the major East Asian neighbourhood, so stocked principally with East Asian foods.

Safeway was the principal major grocery store, with several around town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.