Groceries

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Souvy
Brown paper bags seem to be the thing. Mustn't let stuff freeze through.
Yes. Plastic seems to be the root (no pun intended) cause of vegetables going rotten, even in the fridge, Of course everything bought (we're long through what we've grown in the short growing season here) comes wrapped in plastic, presumably so that it does rot & you have to buy more!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's essentially it.

The other mitigation strategy is to eat seasonable vegetables & fruit rather than expecting to eat strawberres & salad 365 days of the year. So root vegetables are the thing for the winter!

I keep meaning to research a better vegetable storage solution - other the the fridge. Back in the day, root vegetables were kept for months in root cellars. Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so. Some sort of dark, insulated storage box vented to the outside air is what I'm thinking of.
Such as an old fashioned vented wooden box as sold in junk stores and antiquey places?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That's essentially it.

The other mitigation strategy is to eat seasonable vegetables & fruit rather than expecting to eat strawberres & salad 365 days of the year. So root vegetables are the thing for the winter!

I keep meaning to research a better vegetable storage solution - other the the fridge. Back in the day, root vegetables were kept for months in root cellars. Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so. Some sort of dark, insulated storage box vented to the outside air is what I'm thinking of.
Apparently, you shouldn't wash the potatoes and they need to be 'cured' before storage and stored in single layers.. interesting article on storing potatoes and other root vegetables here: How to Grow and Store Potatoes, Onions, Garlic and Squash, Keeper Crops: Gardener's Supply and specifically potatoes here: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...n-potatoes.htm

Supposedly russets are particularly good for storing.

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so.
I can't imagine keeping spuds that long.

My local shop sells 50lb bags but the saving equates to only about 60c per 10lb bag which lasts us about a week.

I went to Superstore this morning, advertising Russets @$5.99 for a 15lb bag. Not a great price but would save an additional trip out on foot in the cold.

But when I got there they were selling 10lb bags of two other kind, including good Reds for $2 each. So I got 20lbs for $4 instead of 15lbs for $6. That works out a better deal than the $50lb bag.
-------------------

Other highlights:
Some salad dressings @ $1.88 (normally $2.99)
Trop OJ carton @ $2.99 ($4.49)
PC extra old cheese @ $4.48 (6.99)
3lb carrots $2.50
Broc @$2.99
Various nice cheeses 2/$8
Pate's @ 99c
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

As an example, my wife decided to make a curry last night (she'd picked up some chicken on sale). We had several jars of curry sauce in the pantry. Having checked the dates on them, they all went in the bin. That's about $20 of wasted food.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sharwoods, VH, those sorts?

I thought I was the only one that used 'cheats' like that.

I just found a couple with December on. I was surprised at that as I thought they all went some way ahead. I must have used some past their dates before with no ill effect.
On curry additives/mixture, from the bulk store or on super special from the ethnic shop I get the dried ready to go blended spice of 'Madras as well as the Jamaican curry powder', works out to about a third of the cost of the jar or canned variety.

Even though its dried spice that will last forever, i only buy enough what will be used within 3 months,
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
On curry additives/mixture, from the bulk store or on super special from the ethnic shop I get the dried ready to go blended spice of 'Madras as well as the Jamaican curry powder', works out to about a third of the cost of the jar or canned variety.

Even though its dried spice that will last forever, i only buy enough what will be used within 3 months,
I can't really go that far. My missus, like most Quebeckers, isn't into curry.

Certainly not ringburners.

She only does it for me. Stuff out of a jar or nothing. Mostly mild. I once tried to persuade her to put the jar of Madras back on the supermarket shelf. I knew what the outcome would be.

I enjoyed it. She lasted a mouthful before conceding defeat.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not ringburners.

She only does it for me. Stuff out of a jar or nothing. Mostly mild. I once tried to persuade her to put the jar of Madras back on the supermarket shelf. I knew what the outcome would be.

I enjoyed it. She lasted a mouthful before conceding defeat.
HID will eat it as spicy as I make it but pick the pieces of meat out of the gravy. When we go out she'll just have a chicken tikka sizzler and that comes reasonably hot, she obviously doesn't like sauce though.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I happily take a normal or madras curry powder. It's what I use to make "my" curry. I've not seen Jamaican curry powder (or any kind) at Bulk Barn. I'm not sure there'd be anywhere else for it here.

I buy the jars for when I want something other than "my" curry and I buy them when they're $2, which is often. It doesn't go as far as a powder packet but it will make me 4 portions. @ 50c a portion (and with the sauce already at the desired consistency) there's not a great amount to be saved

My stepson is the only one of the other 4 who could eat curry and then it's really only "my" curry or one of the mild ones like Thai Yellow. The Thai Red is too hot for him.

Curiously, my step daughter doesn't like any of those curries but likes Szechuan.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I happily take a normal or madras curry powder. It's what I use to make "my" curry. I've not seen Jamaican curry powder (or any kind) at Bulk Barn. I'm not sure there'd be anywhere else for it here.

I buy the jars for when I want something other than "my" curry and I buy them when they're $2, which is often. It doesn't go as far as a powder packet but it will make me 4 portions. @ 50c a portion (and with the sauce already at the desired consistency) there's not a great amount to be saved

My stepson is the only one of the other 4 who could eat curry and then it's really only "my" curry or one of the mild ones like Thai Yellow. The Thai Red is too hot for him.

Curiously, my step daughter doesn't like any of those curries but likes Szechuan.
That's amusing. Our "curry" last night ended up being flavoured with some sort of Taco sauce (the only thing we could find that could be aged without carbon dating). I thought it had a bit of a tang. My wife suffered.

I hate to think what she'd make of a chunk of lemon grass.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That's amusing. Our "curry" last night ended up being flavoured with some sort of Taco sauce (the only thing we could find that could be aged without carbon dating). I thought it had a bit of a tang. My wife suffered.

I hate to think what she'd make of a chunk of lemon grass.
Good God Man! Standards!!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They’ll never know the unrestrained marvel of rolling into a curry house with a gang of mates after the pub closed and ordering various vindaloos, baltis and madras’ and every type of naan bread on the menu while washing it all down with pints of questionable lager. Happy days.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:13 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Shard
Good God Man! Standards!!
It gets worse.

We ate it while watching Corrie on TV.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It gets worse.

We ate it while watching Corrie on TV.
And, all the while, having one of those bloody tent car ports on your front drive.

What's the word for horrendous in québécois?!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
They’ll never know the unrestrained marvel of rolling into a curry house with a gang of mates after the pub closed and ordering various vindaloos, baltis and madras’ and every type of naan bread on the menu while washing it all down with pints of questionable lager. Happy days.
And nibbling the poppadoms with dips and chutney while choosing/waiting.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's partly down to exchange rates and partly down to climatic conditions (drought) in agricultural bits of the USA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, people could mitigate the rising cost of groceries by not buying stuff they won't use.

As an example, my wife decided to make a curry last night (she'd picked up some chicken on sale). We had several jars of curry sauce in the pantry. Having checked the dates on them, they all went in the bin. That's about $20 of wasted food.

A lot of people who don't waste food, can't mitigate or off set the high prices by doing that, and just have to skip meals, eat less healthy foods, and more processed stuffs which for whatever reason are not increasing in price.

Time to go back to frozen 1.99 meals, whatever the reason they seem to be getting cheaper, but sometimes you just can't afford the healthy foods like veggies and fruit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.